The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear out 6 months

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

12 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I didn't even want him back period after his reported contract expectations. He played up the line-up because our d sucked not because he's any good. Paying him anything more than a show me buriable deal would have been a mistake imo. On a team where we get a qualified top 4 RD he should be challenging prospects or veteran depth (Myers) for the #6 role, not pseudo promoted, handed a starting role, and paid like a top 4 top 5 guy. I don't feel he proved that last year. On a good team he's on the bench.

Yes, just because he was in a top 4 role, doesn't mean he's to be treated like a future top 4 player. He is not exceptional in any area. He's not Tanev (but maybe could become like him) he's not a physical beast, quite the opposite, he's not a big point producer. What is he? He's a decent 5/6 player on the right side who can skate and doesn't cost you games. That's a good asset but not irreplaceable.

I like Bear, and it would be nice to have him develop further with us. But not at a cost when he's hurt. I said earlier, he would be smart to take a 1 year deal at league min, to ensure he's under contract / getting paid, and has somewhere to play this year in the NHL once he's healthy. Better than being stuck without anywhere to play.

Next year sign a 2 year deal at the 2 mil he's looking for. And in 3 years when those contracts are up, if he's proven he can be a big piece defensively, and has developed as a 3/4 dman, ok we pay you like a #3/4 because you've earned it. He's only 25. That takes him to 28 and he's just peaking as a Dman if he's developing properly. That 3rd contract in the string could be very nice for him if he's patient.

I don't see signing a player of his level and injury status right now for 2 years at 2-2.5 mil plus is smart.

Edited by NuckLuck19
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

For sure, he's a good kind of player to be able to slot into the lineup when you're playing teams that push harder physically. He's not a policeman but he can provide some physicality and is willing to step up now and again. He knows his role and just tries his best to do it. 

Especially in the playoffs. Mid sized guy who can match up to smaller rats.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

another team could easily offer him a 2-3 year deal and have no problem putting him on LTIR this season to gain a hopefully healthy young RH D afterwards.

think it through

I sure as hope heck they do. What a horrible contract that would be. 

Oh, you just had surgery on your shoulder and you're out 6 months minimum, you had 16 points in 22/23, and your previous team refused to even play you for the entire playoffs and 7 games to start the next year. How about a 3 year deal? Holy crap would that be a horrible move for any GM.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

I sure as hope heck they do. What a horrible contract that would be. 

Oh, you just had surgery on your shoulder and you're out 6 months minimum, you had 16 points in 22/23, and your previous team refused to even play you for the entire playoffs and 7 games to start the next year. How about a 3 year deal? Holy crap would that be a horrible move for any GM.

Not if he bounces back after his surgery.

You act as if the future is already determined.  

The fact you even reference CAR is unnecessary drama your trying to create.  

he showed he can play last year-youre just flat out being a hater. 

grow up

byeee

• There it is 1

Goose - He brought up Carolina because that is what every other gm negotiating with bear will be doing. He doesn’t have a long enough track record as a solid nhl contributor. There might be a team out there willing to take a flyer on him but I don’t think it’s likely at his qualifying offer. Not this summer atleast.

Edited by brbetts542
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, NuckLuck19 said:

Yes, just because he was in a top 4 role, doesn't mean he's to be treated like a future top 4 player. He is not exceptional in any area. He's not Tanev (but maybe could become like him) he's not a physical beast, quite the opposite, he's not a big point producer. What is he? He's a decent 5/6 player on the right side who can skate and doesn't cost you games. That's a good asset but not irreplaceable.

I like Bear, and it would be nice to have him develop further with us. But not at a cost when he's hurt. I said earlier, he would be smart to take a 1 year deal at league min, to ensure he's under contract / getting paid, and has somewhere to play this year in the NHL once he's healthy. Better than being stuck without anywhere to play.

Next year sign a 2 year deal at the 2 mil he's looking for. And in 3 years when those contracts are up, if he's proven he can be a big piece defensively, and has developed as a 3/4 dman, ok we pay you like a #3/4 because you've earned it. He's only 25. That takes him to 28 and he's just peaking as a Dman if he's developing properly. That 3rd contract in the string could be very nice for him if he's patient.

I don't see signing a player of his level and injury status right now for 2 years at 2-2.5 mil plus is smart.

Very well said. We've kind of reached the point of self delusion here after being starved of properly developing or signing defensive talent. Remember when people thought Dermott could be a top 4, Myers was great at one point, Schenn is fabulous but was considered our 2d, now Bear is some valuable piece all of the sudden and a top 4 player? He's a guy that should be fighting for a spot in the NHL like any other young player who has struggled to make an impact. The reality is the NHL is tough league to make and Bear is a fringe player who unfortunately hurt his contract status by getting hurt. No sane GM should be offering him a 3 year deal. I don't wish him any ill will but he should have to earn it like everyone else. From what I've seen I personally don't think he has the chops ... but we'll see eventually.

3 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Not if he bounces back after his surgery.

You act as if the future is already determined.  

The fact you even reference CAR is unnecessary drama your trying to create.  

he showed he can play last year-youre just flat out being a hater. 

grow up

byeee

He showed he can provide mediocre play contributing to a losing team. I thought he was very uninspiring last year. Gambling on that with a 3 year deal is silly. Why wouldn't his play or lack thereof on his previous team not be relevant? You should wise up to the reality of the situation. He deserves a low risk offer to continue his career despite some adversity, not gifted a contract he doesn't even deserve if he's healthy.

You don't have to tell me when you're leaving. I don't really care.

• Cheers 3

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

I didn't even want him back period after his reported contract expectations. He played up the line-up because our d sucked not because he's any good. Paying him anything more than a show me buriable deal would have been a mistake imo. On a team where we get a qualified top 4 RD he should be challenging prospects or veteran depth (Myers) for the #6 role, not pseudo promoted, handed a starting role, and paid like a top 4 top 5 guy. I don't feel he proved that last year. On a good team he's on the bench.

Contract expectations is just his agent doing his job. Can't get "mad" at him for that IMO. And really, pre-Covid, eternally raising cap, he'd probably have earned himself a $2-2.5m deal with his solid 3rd pair/2nd pair in a pinch, solid, complementary play. A Poolman like deal. But that simply isn't the world we're living in now.

And this team, with this roster...DESPERATELY needs to spend what little cap we have on improving it's top 4...not paying bottom pair guys pre-Covid $. I'd FAR rather spend $4+ on Mayfield or Graves and fill out the bottom pair with Burroughs/Woo/Julsen and likely cheap free agents like Pysyk than pay bottom pair guys $2m+. Especially coming off a 6month + shoulder injury.

• Upvote 3
  • There it is 1

13 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Contract expectations is just his agent doing his job. Can't get "mad" at him for that IMO. And really, pre-Covid, eternally raising cap, he'd probably have earned himself a $2-2.5m deal with his solid 3rd pair/2nd pair in a pinch, solid, complementary play. A Poolman like deal. But that simply isn't the world we're living in now.

And this team, with this roster...DESPERATELY needs to spend what little cap we have on improving it's top 4...not paying bottom pair guys pre-Covid $. I'd FAR rather spend $4+ on Mayfield or Graves and fill out the bottom pair with Burroughs/Woo/Julsen and likely cheap free agents like Pysyk than pay bottom pair guys $2m+. Especially coming off a 6month + shoulder injury.

Yeah that's fair. I am kind of anti-Bear simply because I was just absolutely floored when I heard reports we were considering giving him a contract above $2m. I thought we did him a favor trading for him in the first place. People need to remember he wasn't even playing in Carolina and his career was on stall. There was a reason for that. Add to that the only reason we accepted him was because our defence was one of the worst statistically and on ice in the modern era last year, and we desperately needed a body that could play those minutes.

Like you said the biggest thing is that's simply a move we can't afford to make. We can't just shell out $2m+ for a maybe. If we had cap space to burn. Sure, give him a shot. I agree 100% on spending the money more appropriately with an actual top 4 guy and a cheaper minimum earner #6.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

Brett pesce reportedly available if he doesn’t sign extension this summer. Age wise I’m not so sure as he will prolly be pushing 30 before we actually compete and who knows how much he’ll be looking for. We will have the cap space for his extension and we can prolly fit him in with all our ltir and hopefully move out a contract or 2. Although I don’t think we have anything remotely close to what Carolina wants. 

7 hours ago, HKSR said:

Scratch him off the list.  Time for our young guys to get a chance -- Woo, Johansson, Juulsen, Burroughs, etc

Yes Juulsen RD, can fill in along with Wolanin LD, Johassen RD- Brisebois LD - Hirose, LD -- Woo should get 10 game look this year.

Juulsen 26 -RD  and Burroughs 28 LD have not been signed yet.

• Cheers 1

7 hours ago, Lonny_Bohonos_14 said:

2x ~1.5M deal? Gets him some guaranteed money and Canucks have a cheap bottom pair option for 2024/25. Pretty much buriable too.

Or just walk away.

I'd honestly just walk away at this point, but if he signs for 2 x 1.5 mil then that works as well.  We could try and re-build him then and flip him for a pick next summer.  

As far as our RD situation?  Well this means that we may keep Myers to start the year, and Johansson and Juulsen battle it out for the 3rd pair RD. 

Hughes - Juulsen (worked well for a few games last year) 

OEL - Hronek (this is going to be our best pairing this year) 

Brisebois - Myers (Myers is better when playing with a safe guy, Brisebois is good on the PK) 

Hirose and Wolanin battle it out for 7th d-man. 

1 minute ago, wildcam said:

Yes Juulsen RD, can fill in along with Wolanin LD, Johassen RD- Brisebois LD - Hirose, LD -- Woo should get 10 game look this year.

Juulsen 26 -RD  and Burroughs 28 LD have not been signed yet.

Woo is s skilled, young, and very physical right shot d. He either makes the big club or he’s plucked off waivers. 

1 minute ago, wai_lai416 said:

Brett pesce reportedly available if he doesn’t sign extension this summer. Age wise I’m not so sure as he will prolly be pushing 30 before we actually compete and who knows how much he’ll be looking for. We will have the cap space for his extension and we can prolly fit him in with all our ltir and hopefully move out a contract or 2. Although I don’t think we have anything remotely close to what Carolina wants. 

They need more top 6 scoring ...Boeser/Garland + Rathbone....

Pesce is EXACTLY the partner we need for Hughes. Though yes, younger would be better (not that Pesce is OLD).

3 hours ago, Alflives said:

I disagree. Bear is a high character guy. When we got him (pretty much for free) from Carolina he came here and stayed publicly about our club’s lack of structure and preparation. He immediately showed leadership. IMHAO Bear is a great teammate and very good bottom six d man. He’s also a guy who can eat top four minutes when needed. We should qualify him at the 2.2 needed to keep him. 

Yes for sure Vancouver have to qualify him try and get a decent AAV like 2 yrs X 2---2.3 million tops.

Bear showed he can play # 3 - #5 played decent and he is a RD man that can skate..Wants to play in Vancouver.

8 hours ago, HKSR said:

Scratch him off the list.  Time for our young guys to get a chance -- Woo, Johansson, Juulsen, Burroughs, etc

Yes we need to give them a shot and use their cheap Cap hits. OEL will also play better not being injured so the top 4 of QH, Hronek, OEL and ???

Myers is likely gone after his bonus payout in September 

• Like 1

Just now, grandmaster said:

Yes we need to give them a shot and use their cheap Cap hits. OEL will also play better not being injured so the top 4 of QH, Hronek, OEL and ???

I could see Woo making the jump. He’s exactly the kind of guy that does really well with Hughes. Then we can use Hronek to carry OEL. 

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I feel like this might've sealed Myers' fate as staying with us until trade deadline. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

I feel like this might've sealed Myers' fate as staying with us until trade deadline. 

We were keeping zmyers to the 2024 TDL regardless. Zero chance our owner allows a Myers trade so soon after he pays him 5 mil. He’s going to want that pkayer here until at least the TDL.