The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Ethan Bear out 6 months

Rate this topic

-Vintage Canuck-

3 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

I mean he got a gold medal. Let's be honest, that is probably the only high level championship he is gonna get in his career. 

Well worth it for him. 

Soooo we have a lot of confidence in him then?  Bahahahahaha    Should have never plicked up this fragile player in the first place.

27 minutes ago, Bure2Win said:

Typical, he's the fragile type physically and mentally , just move on from him.

I disagree. Bear is a high character guy. When we got him (pretty much for free) from Carolina he came here and stayed publicly about our club’s lack of structure and preparation. He immediately showed leadership. IMHAO Bear is a great teammate and very good bottom six d man. He’s also a guy who can eat top four minutes when needed. We should qualify him at the 2.2 needed to keep him. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Don't make any offers.  His market value is next to nothing now and nobody is going to sign him in the offseason.  Once he has healed up, we can get him pro rated for half the year and he won't do anywhere near the cap damage.  If any other team actually thinks he's worth more than that under the circumstances, let them have at it. 

I’m wondering if, considering the circumstances, Bear might sign a cheap 1-year extension just for the security, access to team doctors and training staff, etc. Something like 1.25M? 

1 minute ago, canuck73_3 said:

He's not coming back, give it up.

As Ms we don’t want Tree back. He’s not a top six NHL now. He chose his own path. That’s fine. But he lost out on developing his game to the best he could be. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I disagree. Bear is a high character guy. When we got him (pretty much for free) from Carolina he came here and stayed publicly about our club’s lack of structure and preparation. He immediately showed leadership. IMHAO Bear is a great teammate and very good bottom six d man. He’s also a guy who can eat top four minutes when needed. We should qualify him at the 2.2 needed to keep him. 

Thing is he's more than likely a bottom pairing D. The fact that he was playing in our top four at all speaks to how much work our defense needs, he wasn't getting into the lineup in Carolina and they're one of the best defensive teams in the league. 

Can't be overpaying for bottom pairing D, particularly when we supposedly need to open up cap space. Has nothing to do with what kind of teammate or person Bear is, business is business. Lot of guys are capable of being great teammates, anyone who gets this far has been on teams their entire life. Bear was a good soldier for us but that doesn't mean he's not replaceable. 

I'd either take him back at less than his qualifying offer or look to either upgrade or promote internally. Take a look at Woo or Johansson. Hell, we could just qualify Dermott for less than Bear would cost and have a D ready to go come autumn. His qualifying offer is 1.75M. Could bring back Burroughs as depth. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Alf, what's a bottom 6 dman?

Confused Little Girl GIF

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd have Burroughs on the team, if I could.

Kyle averaged 17:21 in ice time last season, in the 48 games he played.

I see him as more of a 6-7D but I'd be open to him being a cost-effective regular. Give him 2-3 years and you could probably get him for like 1-1.3M. He's not going to blow anyone away but he's a reliable depth guy who knows his role and who is willing to add some bite to the back end. 

It'd be an easy contract to waive and bury too if it comes to it. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

I mean he's a solid, depth D who does play well with either Hughes, or OEL. That's great if you can get that for relatively cheap. But he's an, at best, 4B/5A D. We simply should not be overpaying guys like that.

I was one of the seemingly few who didn't think we're should be paying more than $1.5-$1.8 for a HEALTHY Bear. A gimpy shoulder, and out for 6 month Bear... Yeah you get a deal equal to a buriable cap hit.

I didn't even want him back period after his reported contract expectations. He played up the line-up because our d sucked not because he's any good. Paying him anything more than a show me buriable deal would have been a mistake imo. On a team where we get a qualified top 4 RD he should be challenging prospects or veteran depth (Myers) for the #6 role, not pseudo promoted, handed a starting role, and paid like a top 4 top 5 guy. I don't feel he proved that last year. On a good team he's on the bench.

• Vintage 2

6 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

I see him as more of a 6-7D but I'd be open to him being a cost-effective regular. Give him 2-3 years and you could probably get him for like 1-1.3M. He's not going to blow anyone away but he's a reliable depth guy who knows his role and who is willing to add some bite to the back end. 

It'd be an easy contract to waive and bury too if it comes to it. 

I think Burroughs is the type of depth you NEED for the playoffs. Guys go down, and his ability to be hard to play against, physical, in your face makes a difference. If you saw how effective a player like Radko Gudas, Luke Schenn were in the post season, it proves how important these kind of players are.

I do hope they bring him back.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, NuckLuck19 said:

I think Burroughs is the type of depth you NEED for the playoffs. Guys go down, and his ability to be hard to play against, physical, in your face makes a difference. If you saw how effective a player like Radko Gudas, Luke Schenn were in the post season, it proves how important these kind of players are.

I do hope they bring him back.

For sure, he's a good kind of player to be able to slot into the lineup when you're playing teams that push harder physically. He's not a policeman but he can provide some physicality and is willing to step up now and again. He knows his role and just tries his best to do it. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1