The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

2 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I would argue thaat we cut away a couple of tumours in Bo as well. Then we added fresh blood in Kuz, Hronek and hopefully a healthy Mikheyev. I am confident we are moving in the right direction, finally. 

I stand corrected and drink to your correction of my mistake. :towel:

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How's Dermott these days?

dont see much talk about him in here

Durmutt would be the perfect #7 D. He can play both sides and can take on minutes as needed. I just don’t think we will qualify him. So he’s gone. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, eeeeergh said:

McDermott should get another shot when healthy 

1 million x 1 year 

Love to see Mutton take a two year deal at 1.2 per. If he can’t go then burry the cap in the minors. If he can play he’s perfect as our #7

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Durmutt would be the perfect #7 D. He can play both sides and can take on minutes as needed. I just don’t think we will qualify him. So he’s gone. 

3 minutes ago, eeeeergh said:

McDermott should get another shot when healthy 

1 million x 1 year 

Agreed. I think he is pretty good. Health permitting. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

Looks like Boeser is going to stay a Canuck for at least another year.

Currently as it stands:

Kuzmenko/Pettersson/Beauvillier

Mikheyev/Miller/Boeser

Hoglander/_______/Garland

Joshua/Aman/Podkolzin

PDG

Hughes/Juulsen?

Wolanin/Hronek

Hirose/Myers

Woo

Rathbone

I hope we don’t sign any UFA’s unless they’re RFA’s that other team didn’t sign. If we can get someone like Trent Frederic, 25 y/o, on a solid 3 year contract, we can have him play as the 3C.

We need to run it back for one more year with the same team. If we make the playoffs somehow, great, keep Myers and Beauvillier for a full season. If we are middle of the pack, trade them at the deadline, and call up some guys to fill those extra spots.

If Boeser and Garland play a full season with top 6 minutes and perform well, they’ll be easier to trade next off season.

Patience is something our franchise needs. Wait for opportunities to arrive.

Boston is in cap hell. They are an easy target now. They want to re-sign Bertuzzi which would take up all of their available cap space. They don’t have the money to re-sign Frederic.

We should go after Frederic and take Forbort off their hands. He can play on the 3rd pairing and kill penalties. Frederic will be our Tanner Jeannot but at a fraction of the price. 

To Boston:

Jack Rathbone

Aidan McDonough 

To Vancouver:

Trent Frederic 

Derek Forbort 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Wait ur callin the shots now?  Your only 1 and 0 :o

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

How's Dermott these days?

dont see much talk about him in here

I think it's that he's just not been around for a good chunk of the year, and just in the periphery of the fanbase. Hope he's getting over his concussion issues.

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, chon derry said:

Wait ur callin the shots now?  Your only 1 and 0 :o

Most people don’t take @Alflives too seriously around here but he’s probably more accurate on his predictions that most of CDC to be totally honest. I mean he’s old enough to have watched Dave Keon in his prime.  I think he knows more about hockey then he lets on. 

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, RWJC said:

Understood. But your argument is one dimensional as the problem, in and of itself, is OEL. He can’t play up to salary, he’s consistently regressing, his age has caught up to him and injuries are dominating his ability to play. 

he was a dead end (as you are aware) and only depreciating. 

sure, could’ve given him another year…and wasted opportunity to begin the much needed alterations to this roster. 
The future cap space penalty that you are concerned about will be absorbed by economizing other contracts. Again, if the plan is to purse players who are young emerging RFA contracts, or to open the door to our own prospects now that Abby is showing signs of truly being a pipeline, then we can achieve some certainty, structure and balance that incorporates dead cap space.  Essentially isn’t that closely related to what you want, only slightly accelerated? Adding new, young blood to the roster? Some with enough NHL level track record that it’s more of an educated guess than a crapshoot that we have positive depth/growth. That’s an ideal solution for where this club has recently come from. We just have to hope that we can find some diamonds in the rough or casualties of varying circumstance.

I think it’s highly possible we do.

Other teams are already dealing with cap restraint situations. We aren’t the only compromised club. But at least now we are better positioned to accommodate those future penalties through transactional moves,  whereas with OEL rostered, even LTIR’d due to his potential of returning, we couldn’t. It was a major handcuff. The only way we could’ve saved face was for OEL to agree to LTIR himself through the remainder of the contract. He’s a pro with a few years left. Considering his trade protection, this guy was in complete control of our future.

It was time to correct that. 

one contract hijacked us. it’s gone.

another one will end this season. 
we are tending upwards, even if we start each season with a cap setback. At least now we can plan around and for that. That is wealth. Options are wealth in this capacity.

This is all fine and sensical but the post I made was replying to someone who said that the cap is going up so it doesn't matter. I find that statement incorrect. It certainly matters. Just like you try to explain away the cost by saying it can be absorbed into more economical contracts on other players. While this is certainly true it is not a guarantee nor does it make it a non matter or good business practice. It's also difficult in that it doesn't open up $5 mil in continuous cap rather is dips down to $2 mil for 2 years. That is tricky when allocating that money.

Either way it's what's done so hopefully it doesn't trip us up in the third and fourth year when a good portion of us posters believe we will be the most competitive. We don't know what that will look like yet or what our cap structure will be. It might present similar problems to what we've seen the last few years or it may not matter at all. I still think management should be wary and cognizant of it. Hopefully our #11 OA is not traded and in our line-up on an ELC and making an impact. At the end of the day I still worry that the impatience shown by management could be problematic but hopefully it all comes together.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Boston is in cap hell. They are an easy target now. They want to re-sign Bertuzzi which would take up all of their available cap space. They don’t have the money to re-sign Frederic.

We should go after Frederic and take Forbort off their hands. He can play on the 3rd pairing and kill penalties. Frederic will be our Tanner Jeannot but at a fraction of the price. 

To Boston:

Jack Rathbone

Aidan McDonough 

To Vancouver:

Trent Frederic 

Derek Forbort 

We prob have to take Mike Reilly as a cap dump too which I’m fine with 

• Cheers 1

Just now, Chickenspear said:

I think it's that he's just not been around for a good chunk of the year, and just in the periphery of the fanbase. Hope he's getting over his concussion issues.

i remember KB3 talking his praises when we signed him. I think he could be a real dark horse for us

Yes, it would be nice to have him healthy though

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Most people don’t take @Alflives too seriously around here but he’s probably more accurate on his predictions that most of CDC to be totally honest. I mean he’s old enough to have watched Dave Keon in his prime.  I think he knows more about hockey then he lets on. 

I watched Keon too 16 of his 24 Yrs but I  honestly I never found Keon as good as alf claims IMO he was good , but  In Keon’s prime he wasn’t as Fast as  Henri Richard in his prime. I’ll tell u that for free. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

No he didn’t. OEL played proved third pairing minutes. He’s done. Thank God our owner bucked up to rid us of this huge part of the Benning stain. Now our great young core can move forward. They are for sure that OEL is gone. 

Do you even watch the games? He averaged 20:11 TOI and certainly was deployed as the 2LD.

You did call the OEL buyout even though you flip flopped a couple times I'll give you that one. Good job! ;)

5 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

This is all fine and sensical but the post I made was replying to someone who said that the cap is going up so it doesn't matter. I find that statement incorrect. It certainly matters. Just like you try to explain away the cost by saying it can be absorbed into more economical contracts on other players. While this is certainly true it is not a guarantee nor does it make it a non matter or good business practice. It's also difficult in that it doesn't open up $5 mil in continuous cap rather is dips down to $2 mil for 2 years. That is tricky when allocating that money.

Either way it's what's done so hopefully it doesn't trip us up in the third and fourth year when a good portion of us posters believe we will be the most competitive. We don't know what that will look like yet or what our cap structure will be. It might present similar problems to what we've seen the last few years or it may not matter at all. I still think management should be wary and cognizant of it. Hopefully our #11 OA is not traded and in our line-up on an ELC and making an impact. At the end of the day I still worry that the impatience shown by management could be problematic but hopefully it all comes together.

Totally agree. 
I think it’s more than fair to be critical of this franchise. It’s warranted.

At heart, even pessimism is a product of wanting the best for this club, so I hear you on that.

For me, this transaction is nothing less than positive because of what it frees up. That’s the long and short of it. 
There is a heavy cost on both sides of the equation, but this one Aqualini himself is having to save face for and it’s a fair chunk of change. That tells you all you need to know about the intention of and execution by this ownership group.

Some may not agree with how they approach their product, we can’t change that. But as a fan, it’s sometimes cathartic to let go of personal bias as to how you’d like to see the franchise run and instead view it through the collective eyes of who owns it and discuss a viewpoint from that position. That’s what I try to do and it makes some of the lean times a little easier to digest.  

This move will cause strain, no doubt.

But come year 2 of this buyout and we have established ourselves as a perennial playoff candidate, it will have been an incredible success. 
Other teams have been incredibly successful through successive post seasons of having to trim the fat to keep cap compliant. There is no reason we aren’t capable of doing the same. To think JR doesn’t have tricks up his sleeve or at very least a framework,  would be to hastily ignore a very storied career as an executive. We now have a very solid cast in place. The roster will only improve from here on in. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

11 minutes ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you even watch the games? He averaged 20:11 TOI and certainly was deployed as the 2LD.

You did call the OEL buyout even though you flip flopped a couple times I'll give you that one. Good job! ;)

Part of the big reason why the team failed so much. OEL was overplayed and not only was incapable of top 4 minutes, he showed that he is not even worthy to be in this league 

(same with Myers)

• Cheers 2