The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Ideally this is the year the Canucks weaponize the cap and take on a bad one year contract from a desperate team for a 2nd round pick.   Try to fill in the needs internally first like Johansson, Woo and Sasson before you throw your money away on an aging veteran to a long term contract.  Then we're right back to where we were.  

6 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The common misconception is that Aquilini only

cares about the money and not winning the cup. This is 100% false. Francesco was a season ticket holder since he was in high school. He promised his 90 year old father that the Canucks would win a cup in his lifetime. Time is short. The time to win the cup is now. He is all in. 

Yeah Aquilini’s meddling has been an extreme hindrance to the long term success of the club but I think people really don’t understand how crucial it is to have an owner actually willing to spend money on the club.

• Cheers 2

22 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

I would like to take this moment, regardless of how unpopular it may be with some fans, to thank ownership for bucking up and eating this terrible contract. This hits their pocket book hard and they did not cheap out on a necessary move to make this team competitive. The Canucks were never going far with OEL in the lineup. Period.

As I’ve said many times before, they care, they want to win and they are big fans. 

Thanks Thank You GIF by BLKBOK

The Canucks did the only thing they could do, they ripped the bandaid clean off. Having to pay over 7 mill to a replacement level defenceman for the next 4 years when the Canucks are entering their competitive peak would have been untenable.  They made the most of a bad situation. What's more important now is what they do going forward, do they buy out Myers signing bonus next?  They're not done, this buyout was a statement. I'm anticipating more bold moves. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 3

I'm still bitter over this, both the original acquisition cost and subsequent buyout. Looking back, OEL would only waive to go to Boston or Vancouver. We had Arizona over a barrel and still made what may be the worst trade in franchise history. Wow. The sting may heal a bit if the right moves are to follow. This is just a dark stain on a club that has a lot of misses lately. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

What if the Canucks started the season with this as their defence 

Hughes - Woo (Bear)

Hirose - Hronek

Wolanin - Johansson 

Rathbone - McWard. 

Woo gets moved down when Bear comes back from injury.    The Canucks still need 1 top 4 defenceman but I think Woo, if he plays a simple game can be a nice compliment to Hughes.  I mean if they make the cut they should be given a chance.

Edited by Pure961089

3 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Hughes - Woo (Bear)

Hirose - Hronek

Wolanin - Johansson 

Rathbone - McWard. 

Woo gets moved down when Bear comes back from injury.    The Canucks still need 1 top 4 defenceman but I think Woo, if he plays a simple game can be a nice compliment to Hughes.  

If that's our starting D, we may as well just kept OEL. 

Edited by rekker
  • Vintage 2
  • There it is 1

1 minute ago, Pure961089 said:

Hughes - Woo (Bear)

Hirose - Hronek

Wolanin - Johansson 

Rathbone - McWard. 

Woo gets moved down when Bear comes back from injury.    The Canucks still need 1 top 4 defenceman but I think Woo, if he plays a simple game can be a nice compliment to Hughes.  

Not a bad looking defense if we are aiming for Celebrini next year. Who needs NHL Dmen when you can have AHL ones instead. 

19 minutes ago, rekker said:

I'm still bitter over this, both the original acquisition cost and subsequent buyout. Looking back, OEL would only waive to go to Boston or Vancouver. We had Arizona over a barrel and still made what may be the worst trade in franchise history. Wow. The sting may heal a bit if the right moves are to follow. This is just a dark stain on a club that has a lot of misses lately. 

Benning was by far the most incompetent GM in this franchise's history.  And it's not even close. 

Edited by Pure961089
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The common misconception is that Aquilini only

cares about the money and not winning the cup. This is 100% false. Francesco was a season ticket holder since he was in high school. He promised his 90 year old father that the Canucks would win a cup in his lifetime. Time is short. The time to win the cup is now. He is all in. 

Kudos to FA.

But where was that when Canucks had LE??  

• Cheers 1

20 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

Hughes - Woo (Bear)

Hirose - Hronek

Wolanin - Johansson 

Rathbone - McWard. 

Woo gets moved down when Bear comes back from injury.    The Canucks still need 1 top 4 defenceman but I think Woo, if he plays a simple game can be a nice compliment to Hughes.  I mean if they make the cut they should be given a chance.

I think we could make the playoffs with something among these lines 

Hughes - Mayfield or comparable 

Briesbois - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Extra

Woo (not waiver eligible) and  Burroughs (resigned)

I think briesbois can hold his own defensively especially if he just to hang back and give Hronek space.

Wolanin really made an impression on me last year and he seems to fit Tocchets systems well.

On 6/16/2023 at 1:42 PM, erkayloomeh said:

How much will OEL get in Calgary? 

Career year? 

OEL would be okay until he has to play defense. His offensive performance in Vancouver was okay, but then Hughes turned out to be the Number 1, that pushed OEL back to a defensive role to which he was singularly unsuitable. But in neither role was he worth anywhere near 7.2 mil a year. Just like many of Benning's free agent acquisitions (Myers, Eriksson, Ferland, etc. he was not even remotely worth his contract). By contrast, Hughes built himself up from primarily an offensive guy, to our best all round defenseman - a true Knight's Tale guy.

11 minutes ago, bh90 said:

I think we could make the playoffs with something among these lines 

Hughes - Mayfield or comparable 

Briesbois - Hronek

Wolanin - Myers

Extra

Woo (not waiver eligible) and  Burroughs (resigned)

I think briesbois can hold his own defensively especially if he just to hang back and give Hronek space.

Wolanin really made an impression on me last year and he seems to fit Tocchets systems well.

If we are entering the season expecting Brisebois to play top 4 minutes we are in an absolutely massive amount of trouble. Rathbone, Brisebois, Woo, Wolanin, Hirose ect, could make the team out of training camp. It's very likely we will need one of our depth D to take a step forward and play good minutes for us. But if any of them are being penciled in for the top 6 on opening night going into training camp, I'm calling that a massive failure to make this D corp better.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Dude check your math.

With OEL like you proposes

7M (OEL) + 7M (new top 4) = 14M

Buyout OEL

5M (dead cap) + 7M + 2M (3rd pair) =14M

And these estimates for players are on the high end. 

It is literally the same cap hit for years 3-4. The crux of your argument is mute

Once again the debates falls on how many years of 2M dead cap you want after OEL contract expiration and tour arguments isn't based on that. 

I do not think that word means what you think it means.

I believe the word you want is moot. 

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, rekker said:

I would have begged him to stay on ltir for one more year.

Other teams get away with it.

Why not us, sorta petty but necessary. 

• Upvote 1

I'm gonna rub dirt in all of your faces if OEL returns to his form of 2 years ago after a healthy off season of training.  I still think OEL is a bonafide top 4 LHD that was playing injured last year.  This buyout is gonna look really stupid if that's the case.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, HKSR said:

I'm gonna rub dirt in all of your faces if OEL returns to his form of 2 years ago after a healthy off season of training.  I still think OEL is a bonafide top 4 LHD that was playing injured last year.  This buyout is gonna look really stupid if that's the case.

But even 2 years ago he didn’t look anything like a $7m defenceman. As long as the player(s) the Canucks acquire with their newfound cap space outperform OEL, it’s a good move for the team. If he gets 40+ points and is very solid defensively somewhere else for a few years, then yeah we look a bit silly. I’m betting ($0 but still!) that does not happen. 

• There it is 1