The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Buyout] Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Just now, Jaimito said:

But 5 months ago...

It’s frighin’ amazing our owner okayed this much needed buyout of a Benning stain. Alf is very VERY happy hearing this news. And for sure so are our key core players. Deadweight will be cut away. Excellent! 

2 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

the last 3 off-seasons have been punctuated with the OEL trade, a huge Miller extension and now the OEL buyout

This team just needed to catch its breath for a minute and re-tool around Petey, Hughes and Demko.  Instead they doubled down on some 30+ year olds and it feels like we’re sprinting right into a wall.

Maybe - hopefully - Allvin works some magic here with the cap space he’s carved out.  But if it’s just sign a UFA D and C for likely more than they’re worth it’s not going to go well.

We shall see, they can't scapegoat Benning era management forever. They didn't make the OEL acquisition but this buyout is theirs to own the same way buyouts down the road may belong to future management. 

The longer time goes on the more Rutherford and Allvin will be responsible for what comes next. 

• Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, Gurn said:

I'd almost like this buy out-if the pain was next 2 years, with less pain as the deal dies out.

This way they need to plan for 2 years with 'capspace' and then dump $4.7 mill off the team for 2 seasons.

I think they will have trouble finding quality players to acquire, for only two seasons.

Gurn, you barking on the wrong tree here. 

The actual pain is the $2M dead cap after year 4, so after OEL contract expiration. 

Buying him out now gives us 4 years of that dead cap with $4.7M ish in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying him out in a year gives us 3 years of the $2M dead cap with $4.4M in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying him out in 2 years gives 2 years of the $2M dead cap woth 4.3M in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying the final year out would give us $4.1M in the last year followed by 1.5M in penalty.

So the question is do you rather want to deal with $4-5M in dead cap in 3 years or OEL still on the roaster with $7.2M on the cap, which is likely dead cap anyways. If they can't figure out how to deal with $4M of dead cap in years 3-4 they sure aren't be able to deal with $7M in essentially dead cap during that time. 

So the gripe we see so far is the 1 or 2 years of extra $2M cap charge at the end of the buyout penalty when we expect a way higher overall cap, unless you are part of the machosist that want to ride OEL out.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

the last 3 off-seasons have been punctuated with the OEL trade, a huge Miller extension and now the OEL buyout

This team just needed to catch its breath for a minute and re-tool around Petey, Hughes and Demko.  Instead they doubled down on some 30+ year olds and it feels like we’re sprinting right into a wall.

Maybe - hopefully - Allvin works some magic here with the cap space he’s carved out.  But if it’s just sign a UFA D and C for likely more than they’re worth it’s not going to go well.

Don't doom and gloom it before it happens. This isn't Benning. Just look at all the change Allvin has made. Bo trade and the college signings were huge ... this buyout could be exactly what the doctor order (not Crossbar). ;)

Thing is, the money isn't really Frank's. That buy out money came from us, the fans.

The ticket buyers, the game watchers, the people that buy the merchandise.

Frank just raises the tickets by 1% more than he was going to; maybe an extra dime on the fountain drinks.

He's doing ok, no skin off the big guy.

Just now, RWJC said:

If we manage to secure a younger core piece for the long term future out of the OEL saved $$$, this could turn out to be a bold but very shrewd move for this franchise. I’m really excited about the opportunity it presents. 

That’s the only way this move is justified in my opinion 

if they weaponize the cap space to get a really good player from a cap strapped team that otherwise would never dream of parting with said player 

• Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, Petey Castiglione said:

What you got next for us in your crystal ball, Alfy?

Don’t know but Alf is drinking until he passes out to celebrate. Okay to be honest old Alf drinks until he passes out every night! :lol: 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alflives said:

It’s frighin’ amazing our owner okayed this much needed buyout of a Benning stain. Alf is very VERY happy hearing this news. And for sure so are our key core players. Deadweight will be cut away. Excellent! 

They just cut the tumor out. Still got lot of reconstructive surgery to do being the patient is well enough to compete.  

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Gurn, you barking on the wrong tree here. 

The actual pain is the $2M dead cap after year 4, so after OEL contract expiration. 

Buying him out now gives us 4 years of that dead cap with $4.7M ish in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying him out in a year gives us 3 years of the $2M dead cap with $4.4M in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying him out in 2 years gives 2 years of the $2M dead cap woth 4.3M in dead cap in 3 years.

Buying the final year out would give us $4.1M in the last year followed by 1.5M in penalty.

So the question is do you rather want to deal with $4-5M in dead cap in 3 years or OEL still on the roaster with $7.2M on the cap, which is likely dead cap anyways. If they can't figure out how to deal with $4M of dead cap in years 3-4 they sure aren't be able to deal with $7M in essentially dead cap during that time. 

So the gripe we see so far is the 1 or 2 years of extra $2M cap charge at the end of the buyout penalty when we expect a way higher overall cap, unless you are part of the machosist that want to ride OEL out.

I look into the year 2025 and 2026 and see that there is $4.7 million unavailable for use- am I wrong? 

3 minutes ago, RWJC said:

If we manage to secure a younger core piece for the long term future out of the OEL saved $$$, this could turn out to be a bold but very shrewd move for this franchise. I’m really excited about the opportunity it presents. 

Nice post! Feel the same way! 

• Cheers 2

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

Might as well go all in and buyout Garland or Boeser as well if there’s no trade available.

:rolleyes:

The silver lining in this buyout is there may actually be trades available for Garland and Beau now as teams can't squeeze us on cap. They finally gonna get fair market value for them rather than having to add sweetners. 

1 minute ago, Gurn said:

I look into the year 2025 and 2026 and see that there is $4.7 million unavailable for use- am I wrong? 

No you are right but OEL contract doesn't expire till end of 2026 so no buyout would still incur us a $7.2M cap charge i. 2025 and 2026. So we still get net savings on the cap for those years.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • There it is 1