The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[signing] Monahan re-signs with Canadiens.

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

If Bear was truly the better player, you really think the Canes would have played Chatfield ahead of him and also traded him?  Why?  They had the cap space to keep him.  If Bear truly made the Canes a better team, he'd still be there right now, and Chatfield would be in the minors or the press box.  That's pretty simple.

You seem to keep glossing over the fact that....HE REQUESTED A TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he did the same to the canucks I would hope that we would do the same thing. Why would you want a player on your team who has told you he doesn't want to be there?  

5 minutes ago, coryberg said:

You seem to keep glossing over the fact that....HE REQUESTED A TRADE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If he did the same to the canucks I would hope that we would do the same thing. Why would you want a player on your team who has told you he doesn't want to be there?  

You mean like how Debrusk asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster? 

Or how Chychrun asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster?

Or how many Flames players asked for a trade and continued playing because they were good enough to make the opening night roster?

Or how Tarasenko asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster?

etc. etc.

Give it a rest man.  The argument was that Bear lost his role to Chatfield, which I showed is what happened right out of training camp.  Shortly after, Bear was traded. 

Edited by HKSR

13 minutes ago, HKSR said:

You mean like how Debrusk asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster? 

Or how Chychrun asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster?

Or how many Flames players asked for a trade and continued playing because they were good enough to make the opening night roster?

Or how Tarasenko asked for a trade and continued playing because he was good enough to make the opening night roster?

etc. etc.

Give it a rest man.  The argument was that Bear lost his role to Chatfield, which I showed is what happened right out of training camp.  Shortly after, Bear was traded. 

Tired Oh No GIF by Liverpool FC

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal bought low on him after he came off a wrist injury.  He showed very well with Montréal prior to getting hurt and spent time as a winger with Caufield and Suzuki.  What you’re offering is actually far less than what they gave up to get him.  Hughes specifically went out and targeted Dach as a player he wanted.  It’s insane to think they’d ship him out a year later at a loss.  

From an article on the Athletic by Arpon Basu on why Dach would not be available in a PLD trade 

But the Canadiens’ management team of Kent Hughes and Jeff Gorton have repeatedly cited the trade they swung to acquire Dach as something they would like to repeat this offseason. They believe in Dach as an important part of the Canadiens’ future and as a centre. He is, in many ways, the poster child for how they want to do business, a player who was undervalued by another organization who they developed into something more than he was in his previous stop. To the Canadiens, the Dach story is an important message to other players who have failed to reach their full potential that they can do that in Montreal. He is the prime example of what working under Martin St. Louis and the Canadiens development staff can do for your career. His importance is far greater than simply what he does on the ice.” 

If they wouldn’t move him for PLD I guarantee they wouldn’t move him for the underwhelming offer you suggested 

whats your offer for Dach ?

11 minutes ago, GhostsOf1994 said:

Boooooourns :P

But, shiny and new thing!

not trying to anger anyone, I just really like Dach and think he'd excel with the Canucks.

I’m sure he would. But there’s zero incentive for Montreal to move him short of something the Canucks wouldn’t give up. Hughes targeted him and bought low on him.  He fits in perfectly with their young core and he’s signed to a discount contract for 3 more years.  He’s just not a piece they’ll move for any reasonable offer 

• Cheers 1

Montreal got a 1st for taking him on.  

Wonder if we could get something similar taking on Johansen.  Maybe Johansen + Foote or a 2nd in exhange for Beauvillier.

Only thing is Nashville isn’t desperate for cap space so might not be willing to give up futures even for a bad contract they’re content to sit on.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:49 AM, HKSR said:

And then who eventually took the spot and ran with it?  Just cuz they were teammates for a year and Bear played more, doesn't mean squat.  Carolina clearly felt they would improve with Chatfield instead of Bear, and so Bear was put on the market.  Not like a lot of teams wanted him either.  I believe only a few teams were somewhat interested.

Moreso Brent Burns than Chatfield. Bear also had long Covid.

Carolina thought Bear was too rich for the bottom pairing and with the addition of Burns it made sense to go with a cheaper, more pure defensive minded Chatfield on the right side.

Bear is a 2nd pairing dman and a solid one at that. My hesitation is the cap commitment when he will be out the first half of the year 

30 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

Moreso Brent Burns than Chatfield. Bear also had long Covid.

Carolina thought Bear was too rich for the bottom pairing and with the addition of Burns it made sense to go with a cheaper, more pure defensive minded Chatfield on the right side.

Bear is a 2nd pairing dman and a solid one at that. My hesitation is the cap commitment when he will be out the first half of the year 

Doesn't change the fact Carolina had lots of cap space, so if Bear was gonna improve their team (ie better than Chatfield), he would have been on the 3rd pair to start the season.  You can read the article I posted, it clearly states how Chatfield was their guy.  They liked what they had in him more than Bear.  

On 6/20/2023 at 11:05 AM, HKSR said:

Take note for those that feel Ethan Bear should get over $2M+. 

Yes, different positions, but Monahan is probably a middle 6 forward, and Bear is a bottom tier defenceman.  Similar values IMO.

There's just not enough cap to go around right now, which means the Canucks REALLY should be weaponizing their cap space and not burning it on a UFA.

But ... wasn't Monahan a UFA?   It's not really burning anything, if you can get a deal like this.  Or for us, JB's Schenn deal.