The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bear, Juulsen, Burroughs talks “very quiet”, could be UFA’s

Odd.

This team needs to turnover it's defense and take some chances.  Hard to do that if you keep re-signing guys.  Gotta hope someone takes the opportunity and outplays their contract.  

Bear made a poor mistake in going to the worlds even though he probably had an existing shoulder injury.  That has the potential to cost him money and term.

11 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

If they sign Ian Cole im done with this team.  We've already had to to deal with the Leipsic, Boucher, Virtanen and (im probably missing another 1 or 2) scandal-  we need to stop going after these types.  

In Coles defense, the NHL did not find substantial evidence to support the claim; it was not in the same realm of the above you mentioned. 

2 minutes ago, BC_Hawk said:

In Coles defense, the NHL did not find substantial evidence to support the claim; it was not in the same realm of the above you mentioned. 

Its not secret that he was communicating with underage girls in a manner no adult should be.  

Only really interested in retaining Burroughs. 

Bear is a meh, rather not sign him and use the salary to find a more meaningful asset. Its going to take him a while to get back up to speed even if he returns healthy in December. 

Juulsen was a nice call up but he is AHL quality. Watching him in the AHL playoffs, he was solid and a physical force but he got walked a lit to the outside when forwards came down on him, just doesnt have the wheels to keep up eith a fast league. Be cool to retain him to be an AHL guy but he isnt NHL calibre. 

2 minutes ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Only really interested in retaining Burroughs. 

Bear is a meh, rather not sign him and use the salary to find a more meaningful asset. Its going to take him a while to get back up to speed even if he returns healthy in December. 

Juulsen was a nice call up but he is AHL quality. Watching him in the AHL playoffs, he was solid and a physical force but he got walked a lit to the outside when forwards came down on him, just doesnt have the wheels to keep up eith a fast league. Be cool to retain him to be an AHL guy but he isnt NHL calibre. 

@stawns what’s your read on Juulsen’s NHL readiness?

Edited by Kenny Powers

35 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Seriously, I'd like to see all 3 of these guys back if the deals make sense....

22 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Quality depth guys. Esp Burroughs- great for team culture. 

Try to bring them back. 

Bear played excellent when he was first brought in and can slot in as a 4 on a lot of teams.  Juulsen still has some upside. 

I would be happy if the Canucks re-sign all three guys. But I think the ball is probably in their court.

The Canucks have made an offer to Burroughs. They had to offer at least the NHL minimum (775K). I don't think Burroughs can expect much more than that. Last year he got the NHL min. (750K last year).  Maybe the issue is that he wants a one-way contract and not a two-way contract, but I doubt if that is the sticking point. Maybe he is after a 2-year deal. Probably his agent wants to wait around until the start of the UFA period to see if there is interest. If someone is willing to pay more, the Canucks probably let him go.

Juulsen's agent has been in negotiations with the Canucks. We have not heard about any formal offers but obviously the Canucks have put some numbers on the table informally. Once again, I suspect that his agent figures they might as well stick around to see what the market offers. Juulsen also cannot reasonably expect more than the NHL minimum but may be looking for a one-way contract or for a 2-year deal.

So I suspect that the Canucks have min one-year offers on the table for both guys and are standing firm. Maybe they will move up a bit if there are competing offers, but with Woo, Johannson, and McWard already under contract the Canucks are not in great need of depth RDs. They do need a top 4 RD.

That takes us to Bear, it does not make sense to qualify him. If he selects arbitration, as is likely, there is uncertainty about what he will get and it will be at least 2.2 million. And then he will miss close to half the season, assuming there are no setbacks. And who knows if there might be permanent damage, And then he becomes a UFA next summer. It only makes sense to sign Bear if he takes a low number for this year or if he signs a longer term deal (maybe 3 years x 2.2).

Having heard the Bear/Juulsen agent interviewed it sounded to me like he was taking a tough line. If so, the Canucks may have to walk away.

But I still think it is likely that at least one of these three guys signs, maybe two. But, as I said, I think the ball is probably in their court.

I could see them wanting to wait until after the draft and free agency to see where they could add a few upgrades before signing these depth guys.  Let them hit UFA.  

Bear, they likely won’t qualify but will ultimately come to terms on a cheap one year contract, and allow for him to rehab with the club.  

maybe Juulsen gets extended, but I’d hope he’s not part of the top 6 plans… just as a depth guy and solid ahl veteran.  I know he looked decent in garbage games against poor teams with Quinn, I’m just hesitant to say he’d be effective at full time deployment.  If his physical/defensive play and pk ability were enough to keep him in the league full time, he’d have done it by now imo. 

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Honest truth is he’s a 2nd or 3rd callup and that's it. 

Stawns followed Abby pretty closely, so curious if Juulsen has shown signs of improving, or if he’s plateaued.

He looked good with Hughes, after we traded Schenn, but appreciate those were meaningless games vs weak opponents 

If he still has potential upside at 25, I wouldn’t mind Nucks betting on him a little bit on a one way deal

Edited by Kenny Powers

Just now, Kenny Powers said:

Stawns followed Abby pretty closely, so curious if Juulsen has shown signs of improving, or if he’s plateaued.

He looked good with Hughes, after we traded Schenn, but appreciate those were meaningless games vs weak opponents 

He’s a good/great AHL player but an NHL call up imo. 

• Cheers 1

Hype on Bear?  I don’t get that comment. If anything he is too easily discounted here. 
I would classify Bear as a solid 4-5D in the NHL that probably doesn’t fit our team all that well because the two players currently ahead of him on our depth chart are so small. 
What we have coming in is also fairly small to midsized and  that doesn’t look like it is going to change until D-Pettey or someone we draft this year starts to be NHL ready.  Across what few NHL D we have and the AHL we don’t have a lot of NHL potential with size. 
I would walk on Bear’s contract even though he is a decent mid range guy just because cap space is valuable this year. But if we are just going to squander hard bought space on UFAs then better off just qualifying him.  We will have so much money in LTIR already he can sit there half the year.  We won’t be accruing cap space for deadline next year anyway. I think we should be trying to take a short LTIR deal for next season if the offer is good for that reason. 
Still think all arrows point to a long term deal for Barbashev of an ill-advised amount. 

Most disappointed if of those three, Burroughs isn't the one brought back. The guy would take on a bulldozer if he had to. He continually ticks of the other teams which we need more of. I wonder if this is a sign that the management group feels positive they are bringing back Schenn, which I would be very high on.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, rekker said:

Most disappointed if of those three, Burroughs isn't the one brought back. The guy would take on a bulldozer if he had to. He continually ticks of the other teams which we need more of. I wonder if this is a sign that the management group feels positive they are bringing back Schenn, which I would be very high on.

I read a story that we were talking to him. Don’t think teams are knocking down his door. 
Short term keeping as much cap flexibility as possible is a good idea going into the draft. No reason to tie your hands to a fringe player that you can sign after. 

10 minutes ago, rekker said:

Schenn makes too much sense. If we’re not trading Myers, all these guys are competing for a depth role, and probably prefer to test the market for a bottom pair job

12 minutes ago, rekker said:

We need to get tougher though and if Burroughs is the toughest player on year team and I love the guy but your team is softer than baby shit. 

5 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

I read a story that we were talking to him. Don’t think teams are knocking down his door. 
Short term keeping as much cap flexibility as possible is a good idea going into the draft. No reason to tie your hands to a fringe player that you can sign after. 

This may well be the case. He is ultimately a fill in the gap player where if you miss out on your prime target, these type players fill the gap. Like when the lights come on at the end of the night at the bar. If prime targets are snapped up, time to lower your standards. Lol.

3 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Schenn makes too much sense. If we’re not trading Myers, all these guys are competing for a depth role, and probably prefer to test the market for a bottom pair job

Yip. I find it interesting, and hopeful that no extension has happened yet with TO. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Quality depth guys. Esp Burroughs- great for team culture. 

Try to bring them back. 

Bear played excellent when he was first brought in and can slot in as a 4 on a lot of teams.  Juulsen still has some upside. 

Bear is a 7/8 on a cup contending team, he is not top 4.

• Upvote 1