The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bear, Juulsen, Burroughs talks “very quiet”, could be UFA’s

Odd.

11 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

We have so many "depth" defenders so I don't see how Juulsen is so special. Hirose and Woo should get chances

I’m a fan of Hirose and Woo, but Juulsen has draft pedigree, Quinn likes playing with him after a small stint together, and he brings strength/hits.

Also, he has the biggest traps, so…

Could contain: Crowd, Person, Press Conference, Adult, Male, Man, Head, Face, Solo Performance, Beard

Edited by Kenny Powers
  • Haha 4

17 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Of the three, Burroughs has the greatest value to the team and what they're most lacking in. 

He at least has earned more reps, imho.

Pretty consistent/defensively sound. Proved he is best suited to be groomed further as a defensive defenseman who can be counted on for solid PK work at very least. He’s mobile. He just needs more time and proved that thus far he shouldn’t yet be paired for in a two way capacity. He’s smallish for it, but I think he could parlay a career as a solid #6 on most teams if given more time to refine his NHL skill set/game. Adam Foote could potentially mold part of Burroughs’ game quite well I would think. 

Maybe I’m just hopeful, but those kind of guys that give you heart and soul and a consistent level of compete, all for pretty damn cheap, that becomes solid depth come playoffs.

I’d keep him but would try to force a 2-way deal for 1 year at a marginal increase and see if he bites. 

If he agreed, depending on changes this offseason, I’d roster him as a 7th D that Tocchet can rotate in as and when needed, and see how he responds. Sure it will likely involve a few new faces to integrate with, but he will already have the benefit of previously been coached under this regime. I think it’s in his best interest to sign with us because Tocchet likes his prototype of character. That could garner him more trust and if he can capitalize on that he will have cut a line into a permanent NHL career player. It’s mutually beneficial he plays for the home team. 

Edited by RWJC
  • Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

37 minutes ago, Lewlowned said:

For Defensemen, Burroughs is top 25 in hits this season with 165 (12th in hits/60 with 11.9), 84 blocks (35th in blocks/60), fourth in fights/60, and he's on the low side of xGA/60 at 2.52. Sure, his xGF/60 isn't great, but he doesn't need to be super effective in that regard to be a 6/7. (10 game minimum for all these stats)

Do I think he should be slotting in with Quinn? No.

Do I think he provides a ton of toughness and is relatively stable on the backend, if a little uninspiring? For sure. And to me that's worth a league minimum for a few years.

Plus he has huge character, is a local boy, and, as others have said, will stand up for anyone on the team. He plays clean, checks, and battles hard. I guess I just value what he brings. I also think tough guys like playing with other tough guys, spreads the workload rather than having a single "fighter"

So....

Girl Why Dont We Have Both GIF

I want an upgrade, not status quo. If he comes back as a 3rd call up, fine other than that let’s get better. 

15 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I’m a fan of Hirose and Woo, but Juulsen has draft pedigree, Quinn likes playing with him after a small stint together, and he brings strength/hits.

Also, he has the biggest traps, so…

Could contain: Crowd, Person, Press Conference, Adult, Male, Man, Head, Face, Solo Performance, Beard

Olli Juolevi and Nail Yakupov had draft pedigree too

• Vintage 1

Burr would be nice to have back as a 7th or call up.

Bear I don't mind him back but with this injury how long is he out?Will he heal well and be in game shape.

I just don't know about Bear.

But we have for the time 

Hronek, Johansson, McWard, Myers.

I would give Buroughs 2 years at 1 mil per on a one way. That way if we ended up sending him to Abbotsford he would most likely clear (teams without deep pockets would be scared by the term and having to pay a million even in the ahl). To me he is the perfect #8 dman, tough as nails, good teammate, plays a simple game, local kid.

Edited by coryberg
  • Cheers 2
  • There it is 1

2 minutes ago, coryberg said:

I would give Buroughs 2 years at 1 mil per on a one way. That way if we ended up sending him to Abbotsford he would most likely clear (teams without deep pockets would be scared by the term and having to pay a million even inches ahl). To me he is the perfect #8 dman, tough as nails, good teammate, plays a simple game, local kid.

Abby looks good on the right side after adding Johansson and McWard to AKL. This likely factors in to these re-signings as well. 

2/3rds of our RD spots are committed to developing prospects, and AKL brings toughness and is a fan favourite.

Even if Juulsen and Burroughs are good with two way deals, there are less ABBY minutes to go around.

• Cheers 1

Not qualifying Bear just makes sense given his injury - no one will be rushing out to sign him.  

Stinks for Bear but he’s going to have to either wait till he’s healthy or suck it up with a cheap deal - and I mean, getting paid a million bucks to sit half the season on the IR isn’t that bad of a deal. 

Id be a little surprised if we don’t bring back one of Juulsen or Burrows but I can understand not bringing them both back.

Edited by ilduce39
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, ilduce39 said:

Not qualifying Bear just makes sense given his injury - no one will be rushing out to sign him.  

Stinks for Bear but he’s going to have to either wait till he’s healthy or suck it up with a cheap deal - and I mean, getting paid a million bucks to sit half the season on the IR isn’t that bad of a deal. 

Id be a little surprised if we don’t bring back one of Juulsen or Burrows but I can understand not bringing them both back.

Who would you prefer of those two?

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Who would you prefer of those two?

Burrows for me…

I think he’s a nice #7-8 who can bring some spark when he’s in the lineup. 

I do hope we circle back on Bear for a cheapo 1 year deal to see what he can do at the end of the year. But if we don’t it is what it is.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

Juulsen had a good end to the season last year and a good playoff run,Quinn also enjoyed playing with him.He has good size and was physical which we're lacking.I would sign him and Burrows and pass on Bear.If he wants to be here as much as they say he does they can work something out at that time when he's healthy!

• There it is 1

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Burrows for me…

I think he’s a nice #7-8 who can bring some spark when he’s in the lineup. 

I do hope we circle back on Bear for a cheapo 1 year deal to see what he can do at the end of the year. But if we don’t it is what it is.

He should be an 8 imo 

• Cheers 1

On 6/26/2023 at 3:19 PM, DefCon1 said:

We have so many "depth" defenders so I don't see how Juulsen is so special. Hirose and Woo should get chances

I wouldn’t pay him much but Hughes likes playing with him so that’s why he’d get the advantage. 

9 hours ago, Sylas said:

I wouldn’t pay him much but Hughes likes playing with him so that’s why he’d get the advantage. 

I think if Juulsen is playing with Hughes then we can just forget about playoffs 

• Cheers 2