The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bear, Juulsen, Burroughs talks “very quiet”, could be UFA’s

Odd.

Starts at about 4:24 regarding the three defenseman.

Realistically, I highly doubt all 3 resign anyway. There’s a considerable logjam at depth RHD.

McWard

Burroughs

Woo

Juulsen

Bear

Johansson

Id love for us to sign Burroughs. I think he’d be a fine depth defenseman that can come in and play up and down the right side as necessary.

As for Juulsen and Bear, I’m not nearly as high on them as others may be. And with younger guys like Woo and McWard who management really likes, good chance management sticks with them.

• Cheers 3

14 minutes ago, DrJockitch said:

That is a log jamb of depth?  There is one NHL D man there, one tweener and some middling prospects.

They’re all the same lol. Depth guys. Like 6 of em.

don’t think it’s necessary to keep ‘em all

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1
  • There it is 2

15 minutes ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Familiarity with the Penguins (2 cups with JR and PA), veteran presence, big body, solid replacement for OEL. 

Aside from being a RHD, I see Schenn as being very similar to Cole, except that Schenn woud bring with him the superior fighting/protecting and hitting abilities that this team could really use.  If it was a choice between the two, I'd much rather have Schenn.  But Schenn to pair with Hughes and Cole to pair with Hronek, at least for one year, would be fine with me.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

Bear - maybe if he heals well. No rush there. No point in qualifying him with the injury he has to come back from first. 
Burroughs is a guy I’d still keep. Depth defenceman with the right attitude and skillset for the job.

• Cheers 2

Seriously, I'd like to see all 3 of these guys back if the deals make sense. Burroughs Uncle is a friend of mine, the kid has done pretty much everything we've asked of him as a reliable 7th D.

Juulsen, I still think has untapped potential, but he really didn't take the steps I was hoping to see last season and establish himself as a viable 3rd pairing RD.

Bear, I think we should not qualify as I don't think we could really justify a 2.5 million contract on qualification, but I think we should try and sign him at 1 year, 1.5 million, "Show us what you've got when you're feeling better" type of deal. This would allow him to negotiate a higher end, longer term deal next season. I don't think he'll get more than 1.5 million with the idea that he can't play till December (maybe).

33 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

Aside from being a RHD, I see Schenn as being very similar to Cole, except that Schenn woud bring with him the superior fighting/protecting and hitting abilities that this team could really use.  If it was a choice between the two, I'd much rather have Schenn.  But Schenn to pair with Hughes and Cole to pair with Hronek, at least for one year, would be fine with me.

I have to agree. A year of Cole and Schenn playing Top4 isn't the best scenario, but is palatable until we free up the Myers $. If both would sign 2 year deals, it would actually be great; both could flip to 3rd pairing or depth roles once we had a long term answers in both spots

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Seriously, I'd like to see all 3 of these guys back if the deals make sense. Burroughs Uncle is a friend of mine, the kid has done pretty much everything we've asked of him as a reliable 7th D.

Juulsen, I still think has untapped potential, but he really didn't take the steps I was hoping to see last season and establish himself as a viable 3rd pairing RD.

Bear, I think we should not qualify as I don't think we could really justify a 2.5 million contract on qualification, but I think we should try and sign him at 1 year, 1.5 million, "Show us what you've got when you're feeling better" type of deal. This would allow him to negotiate a higher end, longer term deal next season. I don't think he'll get more than 1.5 million with the idea that he can't play till December (maybe).

Agree on Burroughs; perfect 7th Dman

On Bear, I'd just let him remained unsigned while he heals. Resume discussions in January IF we have takers for Myers a TDL. With the Hronek trade and the expectation that we will acquire a long term partner for Hughes with Myers $ next year, Bear just becomes a potentially expensive road block to getting our cheap developmental RHD into the lineup.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1