The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] ‘Tis the Dog Days of Summer, Are we Thinging Before Training Camp?

Rate this topic

AngryElf

Really happy with the signings today. We got stronger defensively and didn’t overspend. That’s so much better than in many recent off-seasons. 

If there is still trade(s) in the works to bring in one more good big defenceman and/or bottom 6 forward, I’ll be feeling really optimistic going in to next season. 

This management group is showing prudence and patience. That’s a welcome change!

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

So apparently Allvin had to turn good players down who wanted to play here.

We believe that?

no.

I was believing him until he started saying the players wanted to be here after seeing the success of the new coaching staff. 

Not a diss on the staff, though I don't love Tocchet as head coach, Foote and Gonchar seem good.

I just dont buy that there was interest due to the coaching, more so due to the age and talent of our core.... that is attractive. 

23 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Small, oft-injured, redundant skill set, declining ability.

He's an older, broken, version of Hronek, whom we already have. He doesn't fit a player type need, and is likely to cost too much $ and term even if all those things weren't true.

No thanks.

I am not arguing,  as I admit to not having really focused on Dumba during many games, but he played over 21 min per night and more than Trouba, Weegar, Mayfield, Marino, and just below Ekholm and Theodore.  Is his coach an idiot? Are the Wild defence just that bad that they have to play him?  If he is so bad why do you think he will command so much?

41 minutes ago, aqua59 said:

Has Vancouver become tougher and harder to play against? 

Well, Soucy and Cole are definitely harder to play against than OEL and Burroughs (we all love his enthusiasm and eagerness) the loss of Schenn still lingers and hopefully that's addressed with the top4 rhd spot beside Quinn.

31 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

Hard to say tougher as we don't have Schenn but overall we should be better and we have some big D.

Which is what everyone loves right? big D.

I've been preaching about have big D sincethe 90s. :ph34r:

30 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Who doesn't love some big D in their back end?! Am I right?! :towel:

Willie Esjarins?  :bigblush:

27 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

2 of our secondary scorers

If somehow theres a way to move equal salary out for positions of need, then this is probably the best course of attack?

Kuzmenko Petey Beauvillier 

Mikheyev Miller Boeser 

Pearson* Blueger Garland

Podkolzin Aman Hoglander

Hughes Cole

Soucy Hronek

Irwin Myers 

Brisebois Juulsen*

1 expensive rhd, no more than 4 years remaining. nothing over 8.

1 Righty C/rw with size, can skate, Pk & good on faceoffs

out: Myers, Beauvillier & Garland (prefer this Boeser) retain on Myers & Beauv if essential, only 1 year on those 2 contracts.

for just for example sake

myers 50% retained 3/6m, Beauvillier 4.150, Boeser 6.650/13.8mil

Ekblad 2 yrs @ 7.5m

Sam Bennett (No, not the 18 year old one) 2 yrs 4.5

Cousins 1.1

13.1mil total

Myers 6

Boeser 6.650

Beauvillier 4.150

to Ottawa for

Zub 4.5

Pinto Rfa/ under 4m

Debrincat 7+m

Just a couple of examples, not exactly perfect adds for whats needed

26 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

What is.."Things you don't say in jail" Alex?

"look, I can touch my toes"

25 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

I prefer soft dumps in the corner

Have you been to the DTES lately? No? well I have some good news for you...

• Wat 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Dixon Ward said:

I am not arguing,  as I admit to not having really focused on Dumba during many games, but he played over 21 min per night and more than Trouba, Weegar, Mayfield, Marino, and just below Ekholm and Theodore.  Is his coach an idiot? Are the Wild defence just that bad that they have to play him?  If he is so bad why do you think he will command so much?

Good player =\= good fit

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

so now that day 1 is over.. are we realistically any better than when we ended the season?? Cole and Soucy are decent defensive defenceman.. only problem is they are 3rd pairing defenceman on most teams and they had success because they were used as 3rd pairings defenceman.. all of a sudden they are expected to be a top 2 pairing guy? i dunno.. not every 3rd pairing defenceman you toss on hughes side is guaranteed to work like Schenn.. i feel like 1 if not both will fail in vancouver because they are elevated to a top 4 role when really they are just a bottom pairing defenceman on prolly 2/3 of the nhl

Still need more size and toughness in the bottom 6.

So far the locks for me are:

-               - Podkolzin 

Joshua - Blueger -

I would say one spot is taken by a guy from the farm (Hoglander, Karlsson)

So still need a legit third line center and another big winger that can pk ideally.

• Upvote 1

On one hand our defence looks better than it has in years. However in the big picture the roster as its currently built isn't a Stanley Cup contender- I don't think the Canucks are better than Kings, Golden Knights, Oilers, and the Ducks could take a step this year.

Just my 2 cents. This season should definitely be a lot more competitive and hopefully we won't blow as many leads in the third perioid :frantic:

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

so now that day 1 is over.. are we realistically any better than when we ended the season?? Cole and Soucy are decent defensive defenceman.. only problem is they are 3rd pairing defenceman on most teams and they had success because they were used as 3rd pairings defenceman.. all of a sudden they are expected to be a top 2 pairing guy? i dunno.. not every 3rd pairing defenceman you toss on hughes side is guaranteed to work like Schenn.. i feel like 1 if not both will fail in vancouver because they are elevated to a top 4 role when really they are just a bottom pairing defenceman on prolly 2/3 of the nhl

Soucy is the only dude that matters. He's a good replacment for Schenn.

The one year deals are good due to the short term.

We're not much better but I have to give Allvin credit for getting decent pieces without bending us over a barrel. 

• Like 1
  • elephant 1

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Still need more size and toughness in the bottom 6.

So far the locks for me are:

-               - Podkolzin 

Joshua - Blueger -

I would say one spot is taken by a guy from the farm (Hoglander, Karlsson)

So still need a legit third line center and another big winger that can pk ideally.

Joshua -  Aman - Studnicka was sneaky good fourth line for us last year, and I think Blueger was signed to be our 3C. 

3 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Joshua -  Aman - Studnicka was sneaky good fourth line for us last year, and I think Blueger was signed to be our 3C. 

Aman doesn’t have enough upside IMO.

Good 13th guy but not a lock. Studnicka is just meh. None of them bring high end anything consistently.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Aman doesn’t have enough upside IMO.

Good 13th guy but not a lock. Studnicka is just meh. None of them bring high end anything consistently.

I'd rather not having a high upside prospect on the fourth line, get these guys in who know their role and get them playing hard. Studnicka is someone who'd probably get switched out for a Pearson, but I'm not sure he'll be ready to play by opening night.

3 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

I'd rather not having a high upside prospect on the fourth line, get these guys in who know their role and get them playing hard. Studnicka is someone who'd probably get switched out for a Pearson, but I'm not sure he'll be ready to play by opening night.

I would rather get an another solid C and move blueger down to the 4th C. Gives youngster wingers a good veteran C to play with and gives us quality depth when injuries happen. 

When injuries happen we need those youngsters then. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AngryElf said:

Aman is good. I think he takes another step this year 

People are forgetting about him

• elephant 1