The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks sign Carson Soucy

18 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dumba was a top 4 Dman at the time of the expansion draft. He was 24 years old and hadn’t even hit his prime yet. Why would Minnesota let him go? 

Revisionist history strikes Shiz again, zero chance they were letting him go for free then :lol:

• There it is 1

8 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Yet they protected him for the expansion draft, when they had a “get out of jail free” card. 

Exactly, they protected him because there was no other option.

If Soucy was an viable option they would have  given him a predominant role on the team and protected him.

Edited by shiznak
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Exactly, they protected him because there was no other option.

If Soucy was an viable option they would have  given him a predominant role on the team and protected him.

No. Just no. Bad revisionist history is bad.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, grandmaster said:

Very excited to see Soucy play. He seems like a hard nosed defensive defender that we desperately needed in our top 4. 

He played well in the playoffs.

Most D men over 6’2 seem to have better durability and longevity.

He is quick and agile,   Foote and Gonchar are   Going to be great mentors for him.

Acqiring those 2 D Coaches will stop this soft slide the D position has been on for years here.

2 hours ago, BlakeQuinnAndEggs said:

A team full of unprotected expansion draft players just won the cup lol so what is your point? 

By your logic Marc Andre Fleury is a terrible goalie cause he was left unprotected in the expansion draft. Same with players like Carey Price and Vladimir Tarasenko.

Soucy is already one of our top defenders. Our defense has been terrible the last few years. 

A full team of unprotected players? More than half of their rosters are made up of players that were signed or traded from a different team. The only OG Knights that were picked in the expansion draft were Carrier, McNabb, Marchessault, and Karlsson. I didn’t count either Smith or Theodore, because they were technically traded to the Knights. 

Pittsburgh left Fleury unprotected because they had a cheaper/viable option in Jarry to replace him. Something the Wild could have done with Dumba and replace him with Soucy. But Soucy isn’t a viable options, despite people thinking he “played great” in the bubble. 

Kraken didn’t even bother re-signing him, despite having a ton of cap, and no depth on defense. Knowing he probably wants too much, and isn’t worth it. Hence he was expendable.

I’m not saying Soucy is a bad player, but if you’re expecting him to come in and be our saviour on the back end. He won’t. He’s no better than having a guy like Burroughs back there, who did a passable job for what he was worth. I certainly wouldn’t have paid Soucy 3m+. 

• Wat 1

33 minutes ago, kenhodgejr said:

Soucy lays big hits but he looses a lot of fights. 

It's funny, I was just watching Soucy's and Cole's past fights on hockeyfights.com and they both somehow managed to lose nearly all of them (and pretty decisively).

7 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

He shows up though 

Yes, they both definitely get A's for standing up to the guys they fought with, most of whom are pretty tough dudes.

• Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

8 hours ago, shiznak said:

Something the Wild could have done with Dumba and replace him with Soucy. But Soucy isn’t a viable options, despite people thinking he “played great” in the bubble,

Kraken didn’t even bother re-signing him, despite having a ton of cap, and no depth on defense. Knowing he probably wants too much, and isn’t worth it. Hence he was expendable.

I’m not saying Soucy is a bad player, but if you’re expecting him to come in and be our saviour on the back end. He won’t. He’s no better than having a guy like Burroughs back there, who did a passable job for what he was worth. I certainly wouldn’t have paid Soucy 3m+. 

Who's claiming he's a saviour? He's a 4B/5A who brings some much needed tools and skill sets to this team and will complement our smaller, puck moving D (while not being a puck moving liability himself) help our D zone play, PK etc.

You're generally a pretty smart poster, that I agree with a lot, but this comparison to Dumba is a bit weird an oversimplified. Like they're completely different players, and especially at the point of the expansion draft, Dumba was considered a clearly better/top 4 player. He still is (though quickly declining in effectiveness and oft injured) and I still wouldn't want any part of him on this team right now as he doesn't have the tools or skill sets this team needs at the moment. Especially at likely more cap and term than Soucy required. "Better" player or not. He simply doesn't have the tools or skill set we need as he's basically an older, broken version of Hronek, whom we already have.

And you have no idea SEA didn't want him. He may have told them he wanted to explore free agency.

Edited by aGENT
  • Like 2
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Soucy lays big hits but he looses a lot of fights. 

8 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

He shows up though 

He has a total of 5 fights, according to Hockey fights, and has lost all of them

22 minutes ago, Gurn said:

He has a total of 5 fights, according to Hockey fights, and has lost all of them

RT will teach him a few lessons on how to fight. 

Regardless, we have a large mobile physical defender who plays well on the PK and can actually defend.  I’ll take his losing record on fights. 

• Upvote 2