The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Carolina looking to make major moves

1 hour ago, stawns said:

what I hope they don't do is use him to get rid of an unwanted contract.  I'm fine with adding him as a sweetener to a deal, if it's for a good roster player coming back, but not as payment for a team to take a player they want to get rid of.

Depends on what they do with the cap space. Move Garland to add Pesce....? Maybe.

34 minutes ago, RWJC said:

He’s 24 with very limited NHL reps.

Dominated the A.

Great speed, mobility, creative, but buried under already established talent who already serve the same purpose.

All he needs is timing and reps. 
If Tyson Barrie has continued to carve out a career, Boner should be able to as well.

he won’t be a player on Team Heffy, but that’s already a limited roster to begin with! 

ixNyiF.gif

• Cheers 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Carolina only has $3.6 million in cap space for both DeAngelo and Tarasenko.  I don't see how they can fit them both in, even at 50% retention for DeAngelo.  Plus, with DeAngelo they'd have 5 RHD on the roster.  So this tells me that Pesce 100% will be traded, probably for forward help...

You bring up a point, "retention of salary." It seems of late, that teams are retaining salary on players they are getting rid of. 

So points out that long term deals aren't prudent. They cost more than the contract in the long run in most cases.

Is it because of the hard cap or what. Wasn't happening 10 years ago. These teams along with Vancouver seem to keep making the same signing mistakes. 

I think Vancouver has figured it out but they still need to pay the price. 

Thoughts.

I don’t see Carolina interested in any of the wingers we’re trying to get rid of. Unless folks are fine with moving Kuzy which I doubt we are. 

We’d likely have to make a separate move to create cap and then go after Pesce or 3-Way. 

Our prospect pool/picks would definitely take a hit. 

• Cheers 1

Our defence would suddenly be above average if we somehow managed to make that move.

Hughes-Pesce

Soucey-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Juulsen-Irwin 

I would imagine there would be a number of teams in on Pesce and I don’t think I would give up a 1st for him for sure.  We will badly need those cheap prospects over the next few years to make up for veterans and raises.

We were already talking with San Jose… if there was some deal where we swapped Karlsson-Myers-Pesce around and San Jose got sweeteners for it (high picks for retaining salary on Karlsson, plus assets from us for the Myers dump) that would be interesting.

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I don’t see Carolina interested in any of the wingers we’re trying to get rid of. Unless folks are fine with moving Kuzy which I doubt we are. 

We’d likely have to make a separate move to create cap and then go after Pesce or 3-Way. 

Our prospect pool/picks would definitely take a hit. 

Yup. Don't think CAR wants cap back anyway, or at least not much.

Move Garland + Rathbone out, clear cap.

Spend futures on Pesce. Though (especially not extended) I don't think Pesce will be THAT expense to acquire via trade. How many contending teams even have cap to add him? How many of those teams need a top 4 RD? I'm thinking that market is probably small. Most likely we're only competing with a few teams looking to take that next step.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Spend futures on Pesce. Though (especially not extended) I don't think Pesce will be THAT expense to acquire via trade. How many contending teams even have cap to add him? How many of those teams need a top 4 RD? I'm thinking that market is probably small. Most likely we're only competing with a few teams looking to take that next step.

Make It So Star Trek GIF

• Vintage 1

19 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Could be.  It's a big list, almost half the league.  I remember a guy saying that alot of Americans had all the Canadian teams on their no trade list except Vancouver.  Can't remember who that player was...

so do canadian players. nobody wants to earn less money with more scrutiny. 

Edited by tas

1 minute ago, stawns said:

I don't see anything the Canucks have available that Carolina would want.

Picks and prospects.... Don't think they want much in the way of players/cap with adding Tarasenko and DeAng.

28 minutes ago, aGENT said:

At 4M this year I don’t think he’ll have an extreme lack of suitors. He’s not that pricey and if a team really wanted him they could spend the assets to move cap and acquire.  Teams could look at him like a rental two. 

He’s a solid RD and those don’t grow on trees or are often readily available like this. 

The two factors are contractual demands after this season and his NTC. 

The 15 team NTC is a rough factor for the Canes. Like many teams wanting him they might not even be one able to trade for him. 

Teams that are looking for long-term RD could potentially be weary of what his contractual demands are.

On a side note. 

We’ve also been linked to Sanheim too and he has a full NTC but Flyers are in a rebuilding/selling situation. They’re more handicapped moving him. 

He’s more of a two-way D with some puck-moving talent. Solid even-strength numbers. Is only 27 so probably 6 good years out of his 8 year deal. 

Still Sanheim is a pretty good top 4 LD and I think playing with Hronek would be an upgrade on Risto. 

Could contain: Person, Text, Face, Head

More opportunity to get rid of more cap as well as maybe look at Laughton. Would cost us though. 

Edited by Junkyard Dog
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, aGENT said:

lol nashville is apparently hot on pesce and they easily blow us out of the water in terms of what they can offer thru trades.. they have 11 draft picks alone next year.. and they are also in a position to take on a small cap dump for a year if they have to... i'm resigned to thinking Vancouver have 0 chance at pesce in a trade.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, wai_lai416 said:

lol nashville is apparently hot on pesce and they easily blow us out of the water in terms of what they can offer thru trades.. they have 11 draft picks alone next year.. and they are also in a position to take on a small cap dump for a year if they have to... i'm resigned to thinking Vancouver have 0 chance at pesce in a trade.

Nashville can suck it. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Picks and prospects.... Don't think they want much in the way of players/cap with adding Tarasenko and DeAng.

Which the Canucks can't do for cap reasons.  I'm betting they're on Pesces no trade list anyway.  Canucks aren't getting pesce

1 hour ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Even more than Torts playing the Twins and Kesler to death? I dunno about that. That was pretty bad.

Not to mention Keenan playing Messier, Noonan and Matteau too much. I’m probably forgetting another player or two he played to death.

19 minutes ago, stawns said:

Which the Canucks can't do for cap reasons.  I'm betting they're on Pesces no trade list anyway.  Canucks aren't getting pesce

We can't send picks and prospects... for cap reasons? :blink: That makes like no sense.

We may very well be on his NT list, who knows? Maybe he loves the idea of playing top pair with Hughes until he retires? I'm not going to pretend I know what's in his head.