The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[RUMOUR] Carolina looking to make major moves

36 minutes ago, stawns said:

You don't think they'd have done that already if it were that simple?

I think they're being prudent and looking for the best way of doing it. They're not simply going to give some GM a blank cheque. So no, I don't think they would, nor did I suggest it was "simple" (well, easy anyway).

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I think they're being prudent and looking for the best way of doing it. They're not simply going to give some GM a blank cheque. So no, I don't think they would, nor did I suggest it was "simple" (well, easy anyway).

Amy Poehler Map GIF by Parks and Recreation

Is this the picture you wanted to draw me?

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

At 4M this year I don’t think he’ll have an extreme lack of suitors. He’s not that pricey and if a team really wanted him they could spend the assets to move cap and acquire.  Teams could look at him like a rental two. 

He’s a solid RD and those don’t grow on trees or are often readily available like this. 

The two factors are contractual demands after this season and his NTC. 

The 15 team NTC is a rough factor for the Canes. Like many teams wanting him they might not even be one able to trade for him. 

Teams that are looking for long-term RD could potentially be weary of what his contractual demands are.

On a side note. 

We’ve also been linked to Sanheim too and he has a full NTC but Flyers are in a rebuilding/selling situation. They’re more handicapped moving him. 

He’s more of a two-way D with some puck-moving talent. Solid even-strength numbers. Is only 27 so probably 6 good years out of his 8 year deal. 

Still Sanheim is a pretty good top 4 LD and I think playing with Hronek would be an upgrade on Risto. 

More opportunity to get rid of more cap as well as maybe look at Laughton. Would cost us though. 

I think that between his 15 team NTC, teams that already have a full top 4, teams that have no cap space, and teams that are probably more worried about extending him long term (including his current one) than we appear to be (hi JT!), that yes...the market is probably pretty small.

Sanheim just feel like more of (younger) Myers/Oel...with 8 more years of risk. Maybe if it was for something around Garland + Myers for Sanheim + Laughton? But it's iffy. I'm not big on Sanheim as REALLY filling a roster need though, despite being a decent player individually.

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Amy Poehler Map GIF by Parks and Recreation

Is this the picture you wanted to draw me?

No, it really is quite simple (though not easy).

1-Package Garland to move off his cap.

2-Trade futures for Pesce using cap cleared moving Garland (assuming we're not on his NTC anyway).

Not really complicated. If you need a picture for that, that's a you problem.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

No, it really is quite simple (though not easy).

1-Package Garland to move off his cap.

2-Trade futures for Pesce using cap cleared moving Garland (assuming we're not on his NTC anyway).

Not really complicated. If you need a picture for that, that's a you problem.

Its no secret that the team is in cap trouble and if they were able to move Garland to make cap space for signings, or to weaponize it prior to the draft/ufa, I don't get why they wouldn't have.  Why would they wait?

2 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Given that a few of the free agent signings have been in the $4.1-5.0 million range?

Is it too out of line to think there's a market for Garland and Beau?

I'm not saying a 1st round pick. But would a 3rd rounder, or an underachieving Centre/D-man earning $2 million be out of line?

Theoretically, they should have that value, but it’s almost like they have a Canucks stench attached to them that drives other teams away. 

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, stawns said:

Its no secret that the team is in cap trouble and if they were able to move Garland to make cap space for signings, or to weaponize it prior to the draft/ufa, I don't get why they wouldn't have.  Why would they wait?

Waiting for prices to come down. The closer to camp it gets without teams paying up to move salary... Somebody will blink.

And Garland isn't a traditional "dump" regardless. At some point some team will take a couple of good free players for little cost.

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Our defence would suddenly be above average if we somehow managed to make that move.

Hughes-Pesce

Soucey-Hronek

Cole-Myers

Juulsen-Irwin 

I would imagine there would be a number of teams in on Pesce and I don’t think I would give up a 1st for him for sure.  We will badly need those cheap prospects over the next few years to make up for veterans and raises.

We were already talking with San Jose… if there was some deal where we swapped Karlsson-Myers-Pesce around and San Jose got sweeteners for it (high picks for retaining salary on Karlsson, plus assets from us for the Myers dump) that would be interesting.

I think it's inevitable that first gets traded for something along the way. They're in go for it mode.

12 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

I think it's inevitable that first gets traded for something along the way. They're in go for it mode.

Yup I think the next couple years 1st rounders are all in play.. if they don’t make the playoff in the next couple years this management group is prolly also gone.. so doubt they care about the future of draft picks that prolly takes 3-5 years before making an impact if any 

otherwise there’s no way they could have convinced FA to buy out OEL spend to max cap and tell him it’ll take couple years for us to be good.

Edited by wai_lai416
  • Cheers 1

VAN    D Brett Pesce

(PHI) 2024 2nd Round Pick

CAR    F Anthony Beauvillier (50% retained)

D Jack Rathbone

F Aidan McDonough

D Tucker Poolman (LTIR cap space)

(VAN) 2026 3rd Round Pick

(NJD) 2024 4th Round Pick

Get this completed Patrik Allvin.

Edited by NMHockey
  • Haha 4

6 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

VAN    D Brett Pesce

D Jack Rathbone

F Aidan McDonough

1 piece of bubble gum

3 pieces of rubbish

2 low draft picks

for 

Pesce

2nd

=

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

get real geek & sundry GIF by Alpha

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, NMHockey said:

VAN    D Brett Pesce

D Jack Rathbone

F Aidan McDonough

Can he at least have time to polish his head first? :frantic:

• There it is 1

2 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

1 piece of bubble gum

3 pieces of rubbish

2 low draft picks

for 

Pesce

2nd

=

Mothers Day Lol GIF by reactionseditor

get real geek & sundry GIF by Alpha

Oh I'm sorry... Is a consistent 40-45 point playmaking winger that is a clutch scorer in the playoffs not exactly what Carolina needed to add this off-season? We give them that at 50% retained and add in two C+ prospects as well as give them a 2026 3rd which replaces the one they lost for Gostisbehere. And we give them a 4th plus $2.5 Million LTIR cap space... 

And ask them to throw in a 2nd Round Pick with a defenseman that they are going to have to trade regardless. Sorry but that seems like a great all-around deal. Do some research before being a smart***.

Edited by NMHockey

1 minute ago, NMHockey said:

Oh I'm sorry... Is a consistent 40-45 point skiled winger that is a clutch scorer in the playoffs not exactly what Carolina needed to add? We give them that at 50% retained and add in two C+ prospects as well as give them a 2026 3rd which replaces the one they lost when acquiring Gostisbehere. And we give them a 4th plus $2.5 Million LTIR cap space... 

And ask them to throw in a 2nd Round Pick wirh a defenseman that they are going to have  to trade regardless. Sorry but that seemz like a great all-around deal. Do some research before being a smart***.

Yeah, they're missing Beauvillier alright. :lol: Plus they give us a second on top of that, plus they take our spare crap, for a top pairing 30 yr old veteran D. Ha ... dream on. Imo that's ludicrous but hell ya sign me up.

Just now, Gawdzukes said:

Yeah, they're missing Beauvillier alright. :lol: Plus they give us a second on top of that, plus they take our spare crap, for a top pairing 30 yr old veteran D. Ha ... dream on. Imo that's ludicrous but hell ya sign me up.

They need any playmaking top nine forwards they can get. They have to trade someone due to cap reasons and they are struggling to re-sign Pesce regardless. They only have so much leverage in trading him. You not only are underrating Beauvilliers value as many people on this forum have pointed out he is worth a 2nd or even 1st if we move him; but you are also showing you have zero knowledge of prospects or young players. Rathbone had a freak injury that stalled him but he is still a cheap, ($850,000 AAV), 24 year old defenseman who is a great kid that competes, has shown upside to run a powerplay, and can skate. As for McDonough you clearly forget that he was a top NCAA power forward and Vancouver worked for months to convince him to sign here and multiple NHL teams were interested if he had chosen to become a UFA. Add in we also give them a 3rd and a 4th and the value is there. 

1 hour ago, NMHockey said:

They need any playmaking top nine forwards they can get. They have to trade someone due to cap reasons and they are struggling to re-sign Pesce regardless. They only have so much leverage in trading him. You not only are underrating Beauvilliers value as many people on this forum have pointed out he is worth a 2nd or even 1st if we move him; but you are also showing you have zero knowledge of prospects or young players. Rathbone had a freak injury that stalled him but he is still a cheap, ($850,000 AAV), 24 year old defenseman who is a great kid that competes, has shown upside to run a powerplay, and can skate. As for McDonough you clearly forget that he was a top NCAA power forward and Vancouver worked for months to convince him to sign here and multiple NHL teams were interested if he had chosen to become a UFA. Add in we also give them a 3rd and a 4th and the value is there. 

Rathbone and McDonough both suck at the NHL level though. They have no value. Carolina doesn't want Beuvillier lol. They're trying to build a championship team. They are trying to sign top end guys like Tarasenko, not 170 lb. fluff. 

Beauvillier worth a first. Have you noticed the flat cap? Helloooo it's 2023 out here. lol