The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] UPD: NHL to release up to 8 players involved in 2018 Team Canada assault

Rate this topic

Odd.

13 hours ago, King Heffy said:

@Maninthebox, care to weigh in as to why you disagree with lifetime bans for group sexual assault instead of just bagging me and not contributing anything?

First of all, your original comment says 'everyone involved should get a lifetime ban'.  That is not quite the same as your most recent quote.

Everyone involved?  Even those who watched? A lifetime ban from the sport they dedicated their entire lives to, all because they happened to stumble across some idiots.

Maybe wait until the report comes out before passing your calls for severe judgement on anyone who was unfortunate enough to be dragged into this awful mess.

These were 18 year old kids who were drunk.  Some are presumably significant more guilty than others and surely deserve more severe punishments.  'Everyone Involved'...?  It seems pretty clear to me (speculating of course) that the biggest cultprit (AF) is no longer in the league and I doubt any NHL team will want to touch him ever again based off optics alone.  All the facts have not come out yet you are already sharpening your pitchfork.  Whats worse, you are attempting to bully/ shame / publically ridicule anyone who doesn't 100% agree with your extreme take.

• Wat 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

In related news Hockey Canada has decided to not utilize forced labor in Uyghur concentration camps.

This is kind of like Jared Fogle saying he refuses to hang around Jimmy Savile.

Nike needs to sort its own stuff for sure but not supporting the cover up of sexual assault is a good move no matter how you spin it. 

Just now, Sell.the.team said:

it has not been proven to be rape?  

She was 12 beers deep, it was rape. She did not and could not consent, it was rape. 

I have been drunk numerous times in my life, including last night and I never once thought to partake in watching rape. 

• Cheers 1

On 7/10/2023 at 7:24 PM, DeNiro said:

Interesting when looking at the players that have gone unsigned so far.

Foote, Comtois, and Gadjovich. Could very well be that these guys just aren’t in demand but you gotta think at this point teams would be given a heads up if any of these guys were involved. 

I thought it was strange that Foote was let go by Nashville considering where they’re at. I hope he wasn’t involved. Last thing we need is more distractions involving one of our coaches and his son.

Foote has been one of the most overrated prospects simply because of his last name. 

I'm not that surprised that he doesn't have a deal yet. Comtois is an interesting one for me. 

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Nike needs to sort its own stuff for sure but not supporting the cover up of sexual assault is a good move no matter how you spin it. 

I don't really care what moral pronouncements a corporation makes.  Ben and Jerry's...you all need to give back the stolen Indigenous land immediately Americans now get to it...wait wait just not the Abenaki land our corporate HQ is on, we didn't mean that.  Hey who said anything about Indigenous land, not us!  Look over there, a deer!

Is it "supporting the cover up of sexual assault" to provide the jerseys for a national hockey program?  A case could be made I guess.  Either way anybody looking to corporations for guidance in or validation of their morals is taking a wizz into the wind.

Edited by Kevin Biestra
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Sadly they understand money above all else, good on Nike though. 

Professional PR departments, I wouldn't attribute any further credit or virtue to any of these decisions. 

2 minutes ago, Kevin Biestra said:

I don't really care what moral pronouncements a corporation makes.  Ben and Jerry's...you all need to give back the stolen Indigenous land immediately Americans now get to it...wait wait just not the Abenaki land our corporate HQ is on, we didn't mean that.  Hey who said anything about Indigenous land, not us!  Look over there, a deer!

Is it "supporting the cover up of sexual assault" to provide the jerseys for a national hockey program?  A case could be made I guess.  Either way anybody looking to corporations for guidance in or validation of their morals is taking a wizz into the wind.

Ending Sponsorship, means also not funding them, it is far more than “providing them jerseys” they will still be wearing Nike jerseys, they will just be buying them now too. 

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Professional PR departments, I wouldn't attribute any further credit or virtue to any of these decisions. 

They could not do the right thing too though. This case they did, now they need to work on their own closet too.