The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] UPD: NHL to release up to 8 players involved in 2018 Team Canada assault

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There was nothing wrong with the Virtanen case.  It went before a judge and it was thrown out.  

We have reached a point where the accuser's words are always taken at face value, and defender's words are always dismissed.  

Comparing a murder case to a sexual assault misdemeanor case is stupid when talking about sympathy.  

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You're comparing OJ Simpson to Virtanen case?  One was a murder, the other was a pretty weak case of trying to cash in on a date with a star athlete. 

What kind of backwards reasoning is that?

2 hours ago, Toews said:

As far as I know no one has managed to make contact with the victim that made those allegations. So unless they’re more reporting around these allegations, that's all they are, allegations. There is nothing credible to support that Cole was even around any "highschool girls" other than an anonymous online post. I am not someone who subscribes to a blanket application of innocent until proven guilty as by that standard even OJ Simpson is innocent, but I need more than whatever is out there currently to cast suspicion over Cole being some sort of  unsavoury character. 

Hey hey hey now folks.  
Let’s take it easy with these words we are tossing around here.  

OJ was innocent :bigblush:

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You're comparing OJ Simpson to Virtanen case?  One was a murder, the other was a pretty weak case of trying to cash in on a date with a star athlete. 

What kind of backwards reasoning is that?

Courts don't determine what's true, they act based on evidence. It works the other way around as well, there have been plenty of people convicted of crimes they never committed. I have no idea whether Virtanen is guilty or not, and neither does the judge that oversaw his case. Based on the law and precedence there wasn't enough evidence supporting a guilty verdict. That's all the courts determined. The majority of rapists don't get convicted in court, most don't even see a court room.

I am a fan of Kobe Bryant, yet I am not going to proclaim his innocence based on a 'not guilty' verdict. You are free to believe whatever you choose to about Virtanen's innocence. I would caution basing your belief off of a court's verdict.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

The only people who think Virtanen is innocent are the ones who either aren't from the lower mainland or have been living underground.  He certainly made quite a reputation for himself here, being a local boy and all.  If I say anything more, it's libel.

The important thing to remember he's not guilty and that doesn't mean he's innocent. This is a cautionary tale for anyone. Don't do things without consent and make sure you are with someone that you can trust. You don't want to get accusations against you.

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That’s not how it works. Reports and reporters legally have to say alleged until verdict.

Reports/media outlets have to say alleged because if there isn’t a clear evidence, they don’t want to be sued with defamation.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/why-do-journalists-use-words-like-claimed-and-alleged/#:~:text=If the journalist cannot confirm,happened to avoid a lawsuit.

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Reports/media outlets have to say alleged because if there isn’t a clear evidence, they don’t want to be sued with defamation.

https://www.findlaw.com/legalblogs/law-and-life/why-do-journalists-use-words-like-claimed-and-alleged/#:~:text=If the journalist cannot confirm,happened to avoid a lawsuit.

From your posted article: “

the term "alleged" will not be dropped unless this person is found guilty of the crime in a court of law.”

In a case like this, the reporters will certainly use “alleged” until it’s proven in court. But clearly these hockey players are guilty and are going to be suspended. Hopefully the suspensions are lifetime bans from the nhl too. 

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, shiznak said:

Yea this is worth noting when you read the players' statement through this lens. Some of the statements have denied any wrongdoing, but didn't explicitly say the player was not involved which I guess is lawfully correct since no criminal charges have been laid. I think I can only trust the statements from those who state they were not at the gala at all. 

I am surprised it's taking so long for them to release the report. 

14 hours ago, shiznak said:

Alleged will not be dropped until guilty verdict. 

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Upvote 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:58 PM, Odd. said:

Twitter account that posted the grooming allegations was a one day old account, with no other tweets or activity prior, and has since been deactivated. They allegedly said Cole had groomed them during his St Louis Blues days, however the dates that were mentioned, Cole was not a member of the Blues. NHL took less than a week to conclude their investigation, and he was cleared of any wrongdoing. More than likely a hoax.

He was drafted by St. Louis and spent almost 10 years playing for them and their AHL affiliate.

How was he not a member?

• Upvote 1