The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] UPD: NHL to release up to 8 players involved in 2018 Team Canada assault

Rate this topic

Odd.

23 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Except once you talk to your lawyer/filed a claim, it’s already within the legal system.

Also, if I shoot someone on live video with clear evidence that I did it. I’m not an alleged shooter, because there’s proof that I did it.

That’s not how it works. Reports and reporters legally have to say alleged until verdict.

Edited by canuck73_3
  • Cheers 1
  • There it is 1

19 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Continue fabricating facts out of thin air to help win your arguement... looks good on you.

Yes, I am aware it could be a coerced statement.  However, it is also possible it wasn't coerced and she wasn't raped... seems to me there may be some credible evidence to refute some of her allegations and I imagine we will have a better understanding of what transpired after the report is released.

I don't really see a situation where any of the reported 8 players here should not receive harsh punishment.  Even if the woman wasn't raped, they brought disgrace upon themselves, their families, their country, and their sport.  However, I'm not quite ready to support your comment that everyone invovled should automatically receive a lifetime ban.  You asked for reasons and I gave them to you. 

Again, odd group to white knight for, looks good on you… 

Edited by canuck73_3

24 minutes ago, TopChed said:

So whats the hold up? These dirtbags have been walking free for too long.  

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact were no criminal charges laid?

And the league has to be extremely careful what they do here, or lose millions in a court case, should those 'punished' by the league choose to sue.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Perhaps it has something to do with the fact were no criminal charges laid?

And the league has to be extremely careful what they do here, or lose millions in a court case, should those 'punished' by the league choose to sue.

No ones been punished by the league. Also even if no criminal charges have been laid there was certainly dis tasteful behavior that the NHL should not condone even if not considered criminal. 

Un related I'm not overly thrilled to see Ian Cole in a nux jersey. Regardless of the Grooming allegations that seemingly were made go away https://people.com/sports/tampa-bay-lightning-suspend-defenseman-ian-cole-sexual-abuse-allegations/ what is he even doing with highschool girls at all?? How does he get in this situation at all?

Good on the Canes for dropping him when he cheated on his wife of 2 kids with the teams reporter who was engaged at the time. Consenting adults n all that doesn't make him any less of a garbage human being I'd rather not see in my teams jersey.  

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, TopChed said:

No ones been punished by the league. Also even if no criminal charges have been laid there was certainly dis tasteful behavior that the NHL should not condone even if not considered criminal. 

Un related I'm not overly thrilled to see Ian Cole in a nux jersey. Regardless of the Grooming allegations that seemingly were made go away https://people.com/sports/tampa-bay-lightning-suspend-defenseman-ian-cole-sexual-abuse-allegations/ what is he even doing with highschool girls at all?? How does he get in this situation at all?

Good on the Canes for dropping him when he cheated on his wife of 2 kids with the teams reporter who was engaged at the time. Consenting adults n all that doesn't make him any less of a garbage human being I'd rather not see in my teams jersey.  

It should also be noted that same thing happened to Virtanen, he was dropped from the league even though the case didn't stand up in court.  Even though Jake was a bonehead, I have some sympathy for what happened to him but don't have any in this case. 

8 minutes ago, TopChed said:

As far as I know no one has managed to make contact with the victim that made those allegations. So unless there more reporting around these allegations, that's all they are, allegations. There is nothing credible to support that Cole was even around any "highschool girls" other than an anonymous online post. I am not someone who subscribes to a blanket application of innocent until proven guilty as by that standard even OJ Simpson is innocent, but I need more than whatever is out there currently to cast suspicion over Cole being some sort of  unsavoury character. 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It should also be noted that same thing happened to Virtanen, he was dropped from the league even though the case didn't stand up in court.  Even though Jake was a bonehead, I have some sympathy for what happened to him but don't have any in this case. 

The league didn't collectively drop Virtanen, the Oilers invited him to camp and he was extremely underwhelming. Also Cole never went to court with his accuser, it was an online post made anonymously and no one could make contact with the accuser. The Virtanen accusation has far more credibility if you are comparing the two. The case not standing up in court means very little, generally speaking sexual assault allegations have extremely low conviction rates. Do you have sympathy for OJ Simpson? How about Bill Cosby whose conviction was overturned? 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Toews said:

The league didn't collectively drop Virtanen, the Oilers invited him to camp and he was extremely underwhelming. Also Cole never went to court with his accuser, it was an online post made anonymously and no one could make contact with the accuser. The Virtanen accusation has far more credibility if you are comparing the two. The case not standing up in court means very little, generally speaking sexual assault allegations have extremely low conviction rates. Do you have sympathy for OJ Simpson? How about Bill Cosby whose conviction was overturned? 

You're comparing OJ Simpson to Virtanen case?  One was a murder, the other was a pretty weak case of trying to cash in on a date with a star athlete. 

What kind of backwards reasoning is that?

3 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

You're comparing OJ Simpson to Virtanen case?  One was a murder, the other was a pretty weak case of trying to cash in on a date with a star athlete. 

Situations where the court clearly got it wrong.

Just now, King Heffy said:

Situations where the court clearly got it wrong.

There was nothing wrong with the Virtanen case.  It went before a judge and it was thrown out.  

We have reached a point where the accuser's words are always taken at face value, and defender's words are always dismissed.  

Comparing a murder case to a sexual assault misdemeanor case is stupid when talking about sympathy.  

7 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

There was nothing wrong with the Virtanen case.  It went before a judge and it was thrown out.  

We have reached a point where the accuser's words are always taken at face value, and defender's words are always dismissed.  

Comparing a murder case to a sexual assault misdemeanor case is stupid when talking about sympathy.  

And the judge made the wrong decision.

5 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

"But afterward, according to the claim, the first player invited his teammates into the room without E.M.’s knowledge. She alleges that for several hours after that, she was sexually abused and assaulted. In her claim, E.M. stated that she was filled with terror and acquiesced to their requests, at times crying and attempting to leave, but the players then “directed, manipulated and intimidated” her to stay, the lawsuit alleges.

Where does it say she was '12 beers deep'??

All I am saying, is lets just wait and see what the official report says before condemning everyone involved in this ****show to have a lifetime ban.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-woman-at-centre-of-hockey-canada-allegations-interviewed-by-police/

Two weeks ago, lawyers representing some of the players showed The Globe two videos that were recorded on the night of the alleged assault. The lawyers say the footage shows the sexual contact was consensual and that E.M. was not fearful, intimidated or intoxicated, as she claimed. The first clip, shot at 3:25 a.m., is six seconds long and shows her from the neck up. A male voice can be heard saying, “You’re okay with this?”

“I’m okay with this,” E.M. replies.

In the second video, which was shot at 4:26 a.m., she is covering herself with a towel in a hotel room: “Are you recording me?” she asks. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid, holy. I enjoyed it, it was fine. It was all consensual. I am so sober, that’s why I can’t do this right now."

Legally speaking, you cannot consent if you’re impaired. So recording it and double checking if they consented or not actually looks much more incriminating.

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

That part is on Hackey Canada. 

Due to lawsuits and legality reasons, unless there’s a criminal charge, they can’t really release any names, as this was mostly just a civil case. Since criminal investigations are being conducted by the London Police, they’ll be the ones who will take initiative from here on out. Hockey Canada is likely being investigated as well for their handling, but this could be ramped up if Canada can get enough wind for a national inquiry.

By all accounts and reports, London Police have 5 players involved that are being criminally investigated. Once they have enough evidence, they will release those names. NHL will release up to 8 individuals names who were involved in this incident, though not all will be facing criminal charges.

5 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

NHL was clearly concerned about allegations against Cole.

They actually tweeted out of their official account for the accuser to DM them.

Good enough for me!

Twitter account that posted the grooming allegations was a one day old account, with no other tweets or activity prior, and has since been deactivated. They allegedly said Cole had groomed them during his St Louis Blues days, however the dates that were mentioned, Cole was not a member of the Blues. NHL took less than a week to conclude their investigation, and he was cleared of any wrongdoing. More than likely a hoax.

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

The only people who think Virtanen is innocent are the ones who either aren't from the lower mainland or have been living underground.  He certainly made quite a reputation for himself here, being a local boy and all.  If I say anything more, it's libel.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, Sell.the.team said:

Continue fabricating facts out of thin air to help win your arguement... looks good on you.

Yes, I am aware it could be a coerced statement.  However, it is also possible it wasn't coerced and she wasn't raped... seems to me there may be some credible evidence to refute some of her allegations and I imagine we will have a better understanding of what transpired after the report is released.

I don't really see a situation where any of the reported 8 players here should not receive harsh punishment.  Even if the woman wasn't raped, they brought disgrace upon themselves, their families, their country, and their sport.  However, I'm not quite ready to support your comment that everyone invovled should automatically receive a lifetime ban.  You asked for reasons and I gave them to you. 

I agree with what you have stated in the highlighted words.   I don't know the details right now, but I do know

these players will never live down their actions and will always be known for it; much more than anything they

achieve as hockey players.

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Gurn said:

Yes, making false statements in print can be libel.

I do believe that is what that word means, does it not?

Hmm, I guess you're right.  Let me be a bit blunter then.  Almost everyone knows someone who interacted with Virtanen and they've universally said he's a total scumbag.  This was especially emphasized by the women who've interacted with him.

• Cheers 3