The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] UPD: NHL to release up to 8 players involved in 2018 Team Canada assault

Rate this topic

Odd.

1 minute ago, Pears said:

Imagine using alcohol as an excuse to defend rape. You’re sick. 

Use alcohol for defendable stupidity like jumping off a roof or balcony into a pool or foam mattress. 

Not as an excuse to watch rape :picard:

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Use alcohol for defendable stupidity like jumping off a roof or balcony into a pool or foam mattress. 

Not as an excuse to watch rape :picard:

The only possible excuse to watch a rape is if you're physically incapable of stopping it and report it to the cops immediately after.  Alcohol isn't an excuse but I'd rather have the discussion and hopefully educate at least one guy who didn't get it before than just gave paper bags with no explanation.  The argument that the players trained their lives strikes me as way too close to Brock Turner.

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Pears said:

Imagine using alcohol as an excuse to defend rape. You’re sick. 

Strawman argument - you are putting words in my mouth and then calling me 'sick'.... says more about you than it does about me IMO.

I am not defending rape in any way shape or form.  I am just suggesting that its plausible that some of the people invovled do not deserve to have a lifetime ban and that we should wait for the official report to be released before sharpening the pitchforks on everyone invovled. 

• Wat 1

17 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

Strawman argument - you are putting words in my mouth and then calling me 'sick'.... says more about you than it does about me IMO.

I am not defending rape in any way shape or form.  I am just suggesting that its plausible that some of the people invovled do not deserve to have a lifetime ban and that we should wait for the official report to be released before sharpening the pitchforks on everyone invovled. 

No. You’re definitely insinuating being drunk is a valid excuse to rape someone or watch someone being raped. You don’t have to be sober to understand how wrong that is but cute attempt at a backpedal though. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Pears said:

No. You’re definitely insinuating being drunk is a valid excuse to rape someone or watch someone being raped. You don’t have to be sober to understand how wrong that is but cute attempt at a backpedal though. 

You are putting words in my mouth once again.  Keep doing it if it makes you feel better about yourself.  To be clear: I am not insinuating that rape or watching rape is OK.  I think we need to first ascertain that a rape occured (which to me remains unclear).  Others have decreed that she was '12 beers deep' and therefore it happened.  I am not aware of that fact being documented anywhere... please excuse my ignorance and help me understand where that is coming from.  I tried google searching and could not find anything. 

• Wat 1

4 minutes ago, Sell.the.team said:

You are putting words in my mouth once again.  Keep doing it if it makes you feel better about yourself.  To be clear: I am not insinuating that rape or watching rape is OK.  I think we need to first ascertain that a rape occured (which to me remains unclear).  Others have decreed that she was '12 beers deep' and therefore it happened.  I am not aware of that fact being documented anywhere... please excuse my ignorance and help me understand where that is coming from.  I tried google searching and could not find anything. 

Could contain: Advertisement, City, Poster, Page, Metropolis, Urban, Building, Office Building, Condo, Ketchup

Edited by canuck73_3

6 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Could contain: Advertisement, City, Poster, Page, Metropolis, Urban, Building, Office Building, Condo, Ketchup

"But afterward, according to the claim, the first player invited his teammates into the room without E.M.’s knowledge. She alleges that for several hours after that, she was sexually abused and assaulted. In her claim, E.M. stated that she was filled with terror and acquiesced to their requests, at times crying and attempting to leave, but the players then “directed, manipulated and intimidated” her to stay, the lawsuit alleges.

Where does it say she was '12 beers deep'??

All I am saying, is lets just wait and see what the official report says before condemning everyone involved in this ****show to have a lifetime ban.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-woman-at-centre-of-hockey-canada-allegations-interviewed-by-police/

Two weeks ago, lawyers representing some of the players showed The Globe two videos that were recorded on the night of the alleged assault. The lawyers say the footage shows the sexual contact was consensual and that E.M. was not fearful, intimidated or intoxicated, as she claimed. The first clip, shot at 3:25 a.m., is six seconds long and shows her from the neck up. A male voice can be heard saying, “You’re okay with this?”

“I’m okay with this,” E.M. replies.

In the second video, which was shot at 4:26 a.m., she is covering herself with a towel in a hotel room: “Are you recording me?” she asks. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid, holy. I enjoyed it, it was fine. It was all consensual. I am so sober, that’s why I can’t do this right now."

Edited by Sell.the.team

54 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Hate to play Devil’s advocate here, but Wiki isn’t the greatest resources of information. Also the first word in the circle said alleged, meaning she claim something without proof.

18 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Hate to play Devil’s advocate here, but Wiki isn’t the greatest resources of information. Also the first word in the circle said alleged, meaning she claim something without proof.

It’s more than alleged, they just can’t legally say so… 

1 hour ago, Sell.the.team said:

"But afterward, according to the claim, the first player invited his teammates into the room without E.M.’s knowledge. She alleges that for several hours after that, she was sexually abused and assaulted. In her claim, E.M. stated that she was filled with terror and acquiesced to their requests, at times crying and attempting to leave, but the players then “directed, manipulated and intimidated” her to stay, the lawsuit alleges.

Where does it say she was '12 beers deep'??

All I am saying, is lets just wait and see what the official report says before condemning everyone involved in this ****show to have a lifetime ban.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-woman-at-centre-of-hockey-canada-allegations-interviewed-by-police/

Two weeks ago, lawyers representing some of the players showed The Globe two videos that were recorded on the night of the alleged assault. The lawyers say the footage shows the sexual contact was consensual and that E.M. was not fearful, intimidated or intoxicated, as she claimed. The first clip, shot at 3:25 a.m., is six seconds long and shows her from the neck up. A male voice can be heard saying, “You’re okay with this?”

“I’m okay with this,” E.M. replies.

In the second video, which was shot at 4:26 a.m., she is covering herself with a towel in a hotel room: “Are you recording me?” she asks. “Okay, good. It was all consensual. You are so paranoid, holy. I enjoyed it, it was fine. It was all consensual. I am so sober, that’s why I can’t do this right now."

It was an exaggeration but she was still not sober. But continue defending the dirtbags, looks good on you. 

2 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Ending Sponsorship, means also not funding them, it is far more than “providing them jerseys” they will still be wearing Nike jerseys, they will just be buying them now too. 

You sure about this one? Assuming no other sponsor steps up to the plate, pretty sure Hockey Canada at the very least needs to blur out the Nike logo from now on if they continue to use Nike jerseys. Maybe there’s someone here with more legal clarity on this. 

One thing’s for sure: no more Nike money. Hopefully now Hockey Canada takes these things more seriously. 

Edited by guntrix

11 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It’s more than alleged, they just can’t legally say so… 

Why not? 

If you know you were intoxicated at that time, then say it or else you’re just fabricating the story.

18 minutes ago, guntrix said:

You sure about this one? Assuming no other sponsor steps up to the plate, pretty sure Hockey Canada at the very least needs to blur out the Nike logo from now on if they continue to use Nike jerseys. Maybe there’s someone here with more legal clarity on this. 

One thing’s for sure: no more Nike money. Hopefully now Hockey Canada takes these things more seriously. 

They have regulations on uniforms, just like how all NHL jerseys are the same. They just won’t be getting them comped  anymore. Or any other money from Nike. 

15 minutes ago, shiznak said:

Why not? 

If you know you were intoxicated at that time, then say it or else you’re just fabricating the story.

? It’s alleged cause it hasn’t gone through the legal system yet. You can literally shoot someone on live video and until it goes through the courts they have to report alleged shooter… 

10 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

? It’s alleged cause it hasn’t gone through the legal system yet. You can literally shoot someone on live video and until it goes through the courts they have to report alleged shooter… 

Except once you talk to your lawyer/filed a claim, it’s already within the legal system.

Also, if I shoot someone on live video with clear evidence that I did it. I’m not an alleged shooter, because there’s proof that I did it.

33 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

It was an exaggeration but she was still not sober. But continue defending the dirtbags, looks good on you. 

Continue fabricating facts out of thin air to help win your arguement... looks good on you.

29 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Looks like the guy has never heard of a coerced statement.

Yes, I am aware it could be a coerced statement.  However, it is also possible it wasn't coerced and she wasn't raped... seems to me there may be some credible evidence to refute some of her allegations and I imagine we will have a better understanding of what transpired after the report is released.

I don't really see a situation where any of the reported 8 players here should not receive harsh punishment.  Even if the woman wasn't raped, they brought disgrace upon themselves, their families, their country, and their sport.  However, I'm not quite ready to support your comment that everyone invovled should automatically receive a lifetime ban.  You asked for reasons and I gave them to you.