The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] UPD: NHL to release up to 8 players involved in 2018 Team Canada assault

Rate this topic

Odd.

15 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Pretty simple. If a guy was involved in this he should be suspended for life from the nhl. 

While I agree 100%, I don’t think that is likely the case, unless there’s criminal charges. 

Of course, teams could pull the good ol Slava Voynov to the involved players, however, even Voynov had criminal charges.

• Cheers 2

Also, I urge others to not use any names when speculating who’s involved until the names are officially released. There have been cases of people being sued for defamation (in general) just from message boards and tweets as noted in a Reddit post I read.

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

On 7/11/2023 at 11:32 AM, saucypass said:

This is a better summary: https://www.cbc.ca/news/players-statements-world-juniors-2018-1.6597503

I have posted in another thread in the past and the only 4 players that have not denied any wrongdoing are Katchouk, Batherson, Mcleod and Forementon. The other 4 members involved were CHL players that were not part of the Team Canada Roster. 

To be clear, Comtois and Gadjovich both have come out and said they were not involved. I think they're Free Agents just because nobody wanted to sign them (yet). 

is there any info out there in regards to the attendance list at the Gala?

the other 4 CHL players, while not part of Team canada, could it be possible that they were still top prospects and/or already drafted by NHL teams and may be in the NHL already?

i think the other names that are just identified as CHL players might surprise us.

The only reason i think that the Team Canada players have been giving statements is because the spotlight was shined on them and players wanted to clear the air.

It's just beyond my comprehension, how any group of guys can even think about sharing a women like that !?  Shameful beyond belief! How much alcohol had to be consumed for this to happen? No excuse to say they were drunk and not thinking! My head hurts thinking that these young men are that stupid. They could have each ,more then likely, as they say "scored" with the ladies willing to give it up for potential NHL players. Were these guys turned down by the ladies and jump at the chance of the only lady showing them attention They should be punished to the maximum sentence. 

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, bh90 said:

is there any info out there in regards to the attendance list at the Gala?

the other 4 CHL players, while not part of Team canada, could it be possible that they were still top prospects and/or already drafted by NHL teams and may be in the NHL already?

i think the other names that are just identified as CHL players might surprise us.

The only reason i think that the Team Canada players have been giving statements is because the spotlight was shined on them and players wanted to clear the air.

Unfortunately couldn’t find too much info other than the fact that some of them are from junior teams around the area and they possibly include established NHL players. A lot of “could” and “possibly” so it’s hard to say other than they were other junior players at the time. 

Yes, I agree on the team having the spotlight. Also it’s from the gala of the team winning so it makes sense they’re receiving the most spotlight. 

5 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

It's just beyond my comprehension, how any group of guys can even think about sharing a women like that !?  Shameful beyond belief! How much alcohol had to be consumed for this to happen? No excuse to say they were drunk and not thinking! My head hurts thinking that these young men are that stupid. They could have each ,more then likely, as they say "scored" with the ladies willing to give it up for potential NHL players. Were these guys turned down by the ladies and jump at the chance of the only lady showing them attention They should be punished to the maximum sentence. 

I agree. Literally one of the most egregiously despicable things I’ve read in recent memory. This is speculation on my part but I really think this was something premeditated. Unlikely to be a drunken mistake or anything like that. If you read a little more on the case, these guys made her take a shower afterwards and threatens her to not tell anybody.

These hockey players at the end of the day are merely a collection of human beings and there’s bound to be a certain percentage of folks with personality disorders.

Hockey has been a cult for a very long time and been hidden well by the higher ups. I’m glad times are changing where this can be exposed and hopefully eradicated.

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

While I agree 100%, I don’t think that is likely the case, unless there’s criminal charges. 

Of course, teams could pull the good ol Slava Voynov to the involved players, however, even Voynov had criminal charges.

This is a good point. If there's no criminal or civil charges pending. Can the league blacklist someone on allegations if they aren't proven?

I think this is horrible. And I hope justice is done. But there is this innocent until proven guilty thing. This is just ugly. I hope Hockey Canada and the CHL works hard to make sure there's never any type of incidents like this, with education, training, transparency. These young men need to have honour, and know how to act and respect others. Not just when a camera is present.

Wow! Representing your country at an event associated with that honour & this is what some members of that team thought would be the appropriate thing to do! Even, getting pie-eyed drunk, would be unacceptable! If this crime had occurred over-seas,…just how would China, Russia or some other international jurisdiction be handling this?   

So, after all the mixed-messaging that these very entitled players have received over the years,….some players actually thought there still might be OHL, CHL, AHL & NHL teams, in this “me-too” era, who would still assume the risk of associating themselves with rapists &/or other such culpable hooligans! 

Hockey Canada & the NHL better make some indisputably clear statements…that this will NOT be so! 

In politics, in sports, in leadership & in all things concerning our lives…character still matters, folks!

^Let this be said of justice, also!  

Edited by viking mama
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

50 minutes ago, viking mama said:

Wow! Representing your country at an event associated with that honour & this is what some members of that team thought would be the appropriate thing to do! Even, getting pie-eyed drunk, would be unacceptable! If this crime had occurred over-seas,…just how would China, Russia or some other international jurisdiction be handling this?   

I guess, after-all those mixed messages that these entitled  players have received over the years,….some players actually thought that OHL, CHL, AHL & NHL teams, in even in this “me-too” era, would still assume the risk of associating themselves with rapists &/or the other culpable risk-takers. 

Hockey Canada & the NHL better be making strong statements in indisputably clear terms…that this will NOT be so! 

In politics, in sports, in leadership & in all things of concern to our lives…character still needs to matter, folks!

^Let this be said of justice also!  

Russia would probably be giving them a medal; they decriminalized domestic violence a few years ago.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Russia would probably be giving them a medal; they decriminalized domestic violence a few years ago.

Not - if Canadian. 

If changing the jurisdiction to Russia, any plausible cause for arrest or imprisonment would likely be used for extortion &/or political black-mail purposes, at the very least.

Making further examples of them, for international & domestic propaganda purposes would also be a given…& all of that would be without any real or fair judicial process.  
I was NOT altering this scenario to enquire about how the Russian Hockey Federation would be addressing or policing their own players. 

Edited by viking mama

10 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

This is a good point. If there's no criminal or civil charges pending. Can the league blacklist someone on allegations if they aren't proven?

I think this is horrible. And I hope justice is done. But there is this innocent until proven guilty thing. This is just ugly. I hope Hockey Canada and the CHL how hard to make sure there's never any type of incidents like this, with education, training, transparency. These young men need to have honour, and know how to act and respect others. Not just when a camera is present.

This is a valid point. Horrible story for sure. But until found guilty, it's an accusation from awhile ago so it's not as simple as just taking away someones livelihood. To have this go through the courts will take years. Come to think of it, are there criminal charges? Maybe that will come from the report? 

18 hours ago, vancan2233 said:

She was intoxicated to the point of falling over and had more than 12 drinks that night. There was no "scoring" involved, this was gang sexual assault. She wasn't showing them attention and they said why not, she was lured into a hotel room and sexually assaulted by a large group of men. I entirely agree about maximum sentences. lifetime ban from the NHL and hopefully criminal charges as well. They are predators. 

• Cheers 2

Imo

There will be no criminal charges, the police investigated this years ago, and reached that decision. I can not see them now pressing charges because of someone else's investigation(NHL).

Doing so would make them look incompetent. Nobody like being made to look that.

Also if they did, the defense lawyers would have an easy time making them look like idiots in court:

" Bad investigation"

" Only charging them now, because of public pressure". 

" Not a fair standard, players being treated differently than average Joe public"

"How many investigations before the cops decided not charge?"

"going to change your mind's every time a biased report comes out?"

"Any report from the NHL, will be tainted, as too make the league look in the best possible light, so not much 'fair play' or 'fair conclusions"

------------------------------------------------------------------------

On top of that, sexual assault cases are hard, damn hard to prove.

The league will have to be extremely careful, or they could find them selves on the wrong side of a 'class' action or multiple  lawsuit(s).

------------------------------------------------------------------

Years back, some NFL/NFLPA guy was doing "conduct yourself like a pro" speeches at training camps and said words to the effect of:

"Nothing good happens after 1 in the morning"

It would be wise for the NHL to release the info soon while majority of the hockey media has gone for their summer breaks. It would also allow teams and agents involved enough time to figure out the contract status before season starts. 

It does appear Formenton might be the main player involved as he opted to sign in Switzerland, anticipating that he probably won't play in Canada again at any level.

• Cheers 1

Was there not something in the early reports about an adult associated with the team reportedly arranging for the boys to have alcohol and sex in a hotel room?

Has there been any follow up on these reports?  Adults are for sure part of the problems youth experience on the road, imo.

• Vintage 2

7 hours ago, MeanSeanBean said:

She was intoxicated to the point of falling over and had more than 12 drinks that night. There was no "scoring" involved, this was gang sexual assault. She wasn't showing them attention and they said why not, she was lured into a hotel room and sexually assaulted by a large group of men. I entirely agree about maximum sentences. lifetime ban from the NHL and hopefully criminal charges as well. They are predators. 

I keep thinking of the great movie " A Time to Kill" .   

On 7/14/2023 at 2:27 PM, canuckwings said:

It would be wise for the NHL to release the info soon while majority of the hockey media has gone for their summer breaks. It would also allow teams and agents involved enough time to figure out the contract status before season starts. 

It does appear Formenton might be the main player involved as he opted to sign in Switzerland, anticipating that he probably won't play in Canada again at any level.

Well, he does appear to be the 'fall guy'.  If what we are hearing is the truth, I don't see how any of his misogynist

friends are less guilty.  The outstanding lack of respect this group of players had for the young woman involved, is  

stunning.

Sadly, I doubt there will be any criminal charges, as per usual.  There will likely be a civil case(s), so

the perps will have to address their disgusting attitudes and behaviours in public.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1