The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[REPORT] Major Changes Coming to Hockey Night in Canada

Rate this topic

46 minutes ago, Odd. said:

The thing is, they speak a different language. It’s hard to often gauge excitement especially when you consider other languages have different inflections, tone and pitch. Also, being able to understand what you’re hearing also helps with a better viewing experience, so I doubt I’d be switching over to the Punjab versions any time soon.

The goal calls are pretty sick though, can’t mistake that excitement and passion.

The thing about hockey play by play, 40% of the words are the player names. and if your watching, the rest doesn't matter, if you know what offside, icing, penalty calls are. but the tone and inflection comes through.

• Cheers 1

21 minutes ago, rekker said:

Yip. Bieksa is a breath of fresh air but I fear he's to honest and edgy for this vanilla world of Canadian TV. Paul Newman once said. "A man that never insults anyone has no character" It's ok to go against the grain and voice your opinion, just not on Canadian TV. 

Bieksa could be our politically correct/acceptable Don Cherry, for sure. Would like to see a fight with Elliot Friedman

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, EastCoastNucks said:

Funny the things we talk about when there is no hockey... The only thing I liked about HNIC recently is the Punjab versions, now there are some guys that are hardcore Canucks fans.

Do yourselves a favor and experience their excitement, it reminds me of the Jim Robson and Tom Larscheid play by play. Actual fans of the players and dont talk about the other teams players while drooling.

1 hour ago, Odd. said:

The thing is, they speak a different language. It’s hard to often gauge excitement especially when you consider other languages have different inflections, tone and pitch. Also, being able to understand what you’re hearing also helps with a better viewing experience, so I doubt I’d be switching over to the Punjab versions any time soon.

The goal calls are pretty sick though, can’t mistake that excitement and passion.

The guys doing the Punjab play by play also speak english... I want the Vancouver play by play to be these type of loyal, passionate Canucks fans too. Dont talk about the other team's players while Hughes is screaming up the ice with the puck.... about who on the Pens team is on a hot steak 2 minutes before he scores.... I mean, everyone knows you dont say shutout when the there's 5 mins left in a 5-0 game.

Too bad, I actually liked the panel with Friedman and Juice at least.  I thought they had some fun chemistry.

I think it’s long past time to let Maclean retire - I don’t hate him like some but his schtick was with Cherry and he’s just kind of there without him.

Wonder which way they’re going to go. 

13 hours ago, NUCKER67 said:

Good, the show sucks. Everyone except for Kevin anyway, who's probably too good for the show. He'll get a nice offer somewhere else.

HNIC hasn't been the same since they changed the theme song. 

Hasn't been the same since Dave Hodge was the lead.  Bring him back!

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

The thing about hockey play by play, 40% of the words are the player names. and if your watching, the rest doesn't matter, if you know what offside, icing, penalty calls are. but the tone and inflection comes through.

Bob Cole couldn't remember the names but he was a master of making the game exciting.  It's all in the tone of voice.  The rest doesn't matter

• Cheers 1

If CBC wants to get cultural or modern they should probably make a soccer night in canada. They already lost us on HNIC. I would Subscribe to TSN if they were more focused on Canadian teams other than Winnipeg, Ottawa and Toronto. At least I could hear the right hockey theme song.

But TSN should take everyone except Friedman on the panels.

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

Too bad, I actually liked the panel with Friedman and Juice at least.  I thought they had some fun chemistry.

I think it’s long past time to let Maclean retire - I don’t hate him like some but his schtick was with Cherry and he’s just kind of there without him.

Wonder which way they’re going to go. 

Yeah, I haven’t seen such good chemistry since Breaking Bad.

16 hours ago, EastCoastNucks said:

If CBC wants to get cultural or modern they should probably make a soccer night in canada. They already lost us on HNIC. I would Subscribe to TSN if they were more focused on Canadian teams other than Winnipeg, Ottawa and Toronto. At least I could hear the right hockey theme song.

But TSN should take everyone except Friedman on the panels.

Montreal is also focused on TSN. The Leafs are shared between Sportsnet and TSN.

On 7/13/2023 at 2:18 AM, Ghostsof1915 said:

If they let go of Kevin and Jen then they are even more stupid than I thought.

The recent years of TSN/Bell cost cutting measures makes me wonder if TSN is even going to bother bidding for the next NHL TV Contract?

TSN would have to do a massive hiring spree if they want the next contract.

Yeah Jen is an awesome person to have on there, so knowledgeable about the game… And Juice… wow I can’t believe it.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Wat 1

Haven't watched in years. I'd prefer to listen to the actual.game, not some dude describing what I can see, another dude rambling about nonsense, and some woman squeaking now and then.

Can't even get that experience live with all the adhd crap they spew between whistles.

• Thanks 1