The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Kraken re-sign Vince Dunn

1 hour ago, HKSR said:

Except Hronek is a RHD and is better defensively.  Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Hronek gets $7.5m

Hronek is much better defensively, actually kills penalties and is much better on the powerplay as well.  And he's a RHDman.  Hronek is a better overall Dman and is worth more than Dunn...

26 minutes ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dunn doesn't kill penalties and doesn't look to be very effective on the power play either.  That's alot of coin for a 5v5 Dman who isn't very good on special teams...

Point producing dmen always get a premium 20+ point difference is a big gap

1 hour ago, Elias Pettersson said:

Dunn doesn't kill penalties and doesn't look to be very effective on the power play either.  That's alot of coin for a 5v5 Dman who isn't very good on special teams...

46 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Point producing dmen always get a premium 20+ point difference is a big gap

Yeah he only had 15 points on the PP... which is... actually pretty good when you think about it.  Being able to score efficiently at 5v5 is an excellent asset.  Dunn can improve his PP play much easier than even strength.  Don't people here criticize guys like Draisaitl for being overly dependent on the powerplay?

As for penalty killing... yeah.  It would be nice if we had a blueline strong enough for Hughes not to have to kill penalties.  The pairings of Oleksiak-Larsson and Soucy-Borgen did their jobs.  But the Kraken are all about even strength scoring.  That's why no individual  scored too much but they were one of the top-scoring teams in the league.  Dunn led the squids in scoring a couple of those months, ahead of McCann.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

If he matches this last season he’d have 49 points in 82 games, not sure that propels him well north of 7. More or less the 6-7 range though. 

5 years at 6.5M for Hronek is fair. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I haven't seen him play enough to comment on him specifically, but any time you open the bank for a guy who might be a defensive liability and had ONE good season, it's a gamble.

They must feel he just needed to break out, and that the sky is effectively the limit. If correct, it's a decent gamble, given recent overpriced contracts.

I'm happy with Hughes at under 8.

Points get you paid, before last season Dunn was a 20-30 point guy consistently and then he goes and doubles his point totals and gets paid big time. No defensive defenceman will ever get paid 7M+ sadly. Dunn is pretty decent defensively though I'd say, not that solid but boy did he take a leap offensively, 50 assists is pretty impressive. 4 years is wise by both teams, sort of like a long bridge deal. I would have given him a 2 year deal if I were Seattle - that is just one big season amongst a bunch of average seasons. If he dips back to 20-30 points for the next 3-4 years, ouch, that's an expensive defenceman.

On to Hronek who has hovered around 40-50 points, that seems to get you around 6M or so. Get to the 60-70 point plateau and you're in 7-8M. Hughes obviously took a bit of a discount and had term, and is probably worth 8-9M easily, so he's a nice bench-mark to set for all the other guys who plan to sign - no one can earn more (or close) to him, a bit like what we've got going with Petey and Miller.

In contrast, look at the mess the "leaders" are causing in Toronto - everyone wants to be the top dog and get paid more and more, leaving nothing for anyone else.

10 hours ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

Yeah he only had 15 points on the PP... which is... actually pretty good when you think about it.  Being able to score efficiently at 5v5 is an excellent asset.  Dunn can improve his PP play much easier than even strength.  Don't people here criticize guys like Draisaitl for being overly dependent on the powerplay?

As for penalty killing... yeah.  It would be nice if we had a blueline strong enough for Hughes not to have to kill penalties.  The pairings of Oleksiak-Larsson and Soucy-Borgen did their jobs.  But the Kraken are all about even strength scoring.  That's why no individual  scored too much but they were one of the top-scoring teams in the league.  Dunn led the squids in scoring a couple of those months, ahead of McCann.

The goalposts always move for players the issue with Garland is he "only scores" 5 on 5, but like you said Draisaitl gets knocked because " he feasts on the PP" When the truth is they produce points, which is not a negative... 

Edited by canuck73_3

Big fan of Dunn, always felt like the Blues made a big mistake by not protecting him. I don't see how anyone who watched him play last year could call him a liability. Excellent 5v5 production as well. Even if he settles into a 45-50 point defenseman with minimal PP time, this will not be a bad contract.

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Points get you paid, before last season Dunn was a 20-30 point guy consistently and then he goes and doubles his point totals and gets paid big time. No defensive defenceman will ever get paid 7M+ sadly. Dunn is pretty decent defensively though I'd say, not that solid but boy did he take a leap offensively, 50 assists is pretty impressive. 4 years is wise by both teams, sort of like a long bridge deal. I would have given him a 2 year deal if I were Seattle - that is just one big season amongst a bunch of average seasons. If he dips back to 20-30 points for the next 3-4 years, ouch, that's an expensive defenceman.

On to Hronek who has hovered around 40-50 points, that seems to get you around 6M or so. Get to the 60-70 point plateau and you're in 7-8M. Hughes obviously took a bit of a discount and had term, and is probably worth 8-9M easily, so he's a nice bench-mark to set for all the other guys who plan to sign - no one can earn more (or close) to him, a bit like what we've got going with Petey and Miller.

In contrast, look at the mess the "leaders" are causing in Toronto - everyone wants to be the top dog and get paid more and more, leaving nothing for anyone else.

There is a huge difference between a guy coming off his ELC and someone Dunns age.   

Folks need to get this.    QHs wasn't "underpaid".   He was given a massive deal for someone with potential.   A huge deal.    There was no "discount".   Look at who was ahead of him and how old they were, and what they'd done already in this league (defenseman at the time who were paid more at the time of his signing ....)     

Edit:  As for TO.  You'd probably be surprised, to find out, that the Sedins, Kesler and Luongo also took that same cap percentage up.   Four players.   We got exactly three won series for that money (when Sedins and Kesler signed).   They've got one.  So far anyways. 

Edited by IBatch

12 hours ago, kloubek said:

I haven't seen him play enough to comment on him specifically, but any time you open the bank for a guy who might be a defensive liability and had ONE good season, it's a gamble.

They must feel he just needed to break out, and that the sky is effectively the limit. If correct, it's a decent gamble, given recent overpriced contracts.

I'm happy with Hughes at under 8.

We are all.  Because he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, which, is giving us his best value during his second contract.    It's how the system works!    It's not "team friendly".    If you want to see a team friendly deal, go look at JT Millers last one, two RFA, two UFA years.   That's team friendly.   QHs is well paid for what he's managed so far, so is EP.    Second deals.   Are not.  UFA deals.  

Toews and Kane.   They took all the money and CHI empire died.   But at least they won 3 cups.   Like Hansen said, and keeps saying, why in the heck are these guys getting paid so much, for not doing anything?  One covid bubble season.    The worst possible thing that can happen to this team is paying more for not even making the playoffs.    I'm with Hansen.   QHs is well paid very well paid really considering, say Burns last deal.   And many others, who were UFA's.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We are all.  Because he's doing what he's supposed to be doing, which, is giving us his best value during his second contract.    It's how the system works!    It's not "team friendly".    If you want to see a team friendly deal, go look at JT Millers last one, two RFA, two UFA years.   Thad's team friendly.   QHs is well paid for what he's managed so far, so is EP.    Second deals.   Are not.  UFA deals. 

Miller’s new deal is team friendly too. 8 mil x 7 years is way less than he is actually worth when considering to big contracts like Herberdough got and ones coming up for lesser players than JTM.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Miller’s new deal is team friendly too. 8 mil x 7 years is way less than he is actually worth when considering to big contracts like Herberdough got and ones coming up for lesser players than JTM.

I'd say it is too.   It's at least fair, at best great.     He's a UFA.   He could go anywhere, for any amount.   He did us a solid signing with us.   Kind of peeved that folks still didn't like that.   Good grief, considering how much RFA's are getting these days.    He more than earned his next deal and can "regress " to 60 points and not be "shamed" and he's shouldn't be either.     By the time he's 33, his cap hit will be around 8%... The Sedins were almost 11 each their last deal.   If he's scoring 50-60 points, well that's just fine at 33.  

Edit:  Aside from points.   Have been waiting a long time to see some fire from our best players, and Miller has fire.   And he's grateful for the chance the Canucks and Green gave him to take on the best of the best.    And all he wants to do is win, very supportive to the guys and the brand.    What's not to like?!!  Oh yeah, a few people got butthurt over slamming his stick and showing too much emotion.   There is that.   Cancel Miller!  Because we didn't trade him to NYR.    Now i'm been a little dramatic, but I'm with Deb and others, guys a gem.   Why not support him?

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

I'd say it is too.   It's at least fair, at best great.     He's a UFA.   He could go anywhere, for any amount.   He did us a solid signing with us.   Kind of peeved that folks still didn't like that.   Good grief, considering how much RFA's are getting these days.    He more than earned his next deal and can "regress " to 60 points and not be "shamed" and he's shouldn't be either.     By the time he's 33, his cap hit will be around 8%... The Sedins were almost 11 each their last deal.   If he's scoring 50-60 points, well that's just fine at 33.  

Edit:  Aside from points.   Have been waiting a long time to see some fire from our best players, and Miller has fire.   And he's grateful for the chance the Canucks and Green gave him to take on the best of the best.    And all he wants to do is win, very supportive to the guys and the brand.    What's not to like?!!  Oh yeah, a few people got butthurt over slamming his stick and showing too much emotion.   There is that.   Cancel Miller!  Because we didn't trade him to NYR.    Now i'm been a little dramatic, but I'm with Deb and others, guys a gem.   Why not support him?

Not only that, but Miller obviously wanted to stay here and with what’s going on in Calgary and Winnipeg, we should thank our lucky stars.

• Cheers 1

22 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

5 years at 6.5M for Hronek is fair. 

I really doubt Hronek will come in below 7. Remember too that his next contract will start right when the big cap increase is projected to take place. Allvin was incredibly disingenuous when he said Hronek had "two years of cost control". 

4 hours ago, dougieL said:

I really doubt Hronek will come in below 7. Remember too that his next contract will start right when the big cap increase is projected to take place. Allvin was incredibly disingenuous when he said Hronek had "two years of cost control". 

Remember that OEL was going to eat 7.2 of our cap while sitting in the press box eating popcorn. His replacement would be league minimum. Total cost for that one bottom pairing D would be 8 mil. Even those two highest cost buyout years will be 5.5. And that’s with D Petey or Willander playing that role added in. 
See? Cleansing the Benning stain of OEL was a must. And it makes our cap better. It’s math. 
Now bow to Alf’s empties! :frantic: