The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal/Discussion] Filling the last pieces of roster (12/13 FWD, 6/7 DEF, 2G) with scrap UFAs

The only guy I would be interested in is Pius Suter.  If he can be had for $1.15 million I'd sign him up and send PDG or even Podkolzin to Abby.  Heck, we could even waive Pearson and send him to Abby and save the $1.15 million and then add Suter for the same cost.  

• Cheers 2

7 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

The only guy I would be interested in is Pius Suter.  If he can be had for $1.15 million I'd sign him up and send PDG or even Podkolzin to Abby.  Heck, we could even waive Pearson and send him to Abby and save the $1.15 million and then add Suter for the same cost.  

Think it might also be wise, to add a cheap goalie.    Silvos seems like he's ready for the show for sure.    But it's a bit of a risk going into this season with Demko and Silvos.    And shouldn't cost much to shore your bets.   Stallock at league min, one way, plus some bonus structure if he's needed and plays ...  for sure would use up a roster spot for that.     Might require something else but jamming him into the cap structure shouldn't be too difficult. 

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, Elias Pettersson said:

I'd be all for this. If Pearson is healthy though and still half-good he'd be a solid addition to our 3rd line, think Pearson - Blueger - Garland would be a pretty gritty forechecking line, and he's a great PKer too. If he's slow or not good enough anymore, then I agree - trade or dump him to the AHL. I'd love to think that PDG is buried in Abby as well, so that opens up space for Hoglander or Podkolzin, but also Suter.

Mikheyev - Pettersson - Kuzmenko

Beauvillier - Miller - Boeser

Suter - Blueger - Garland

Joshua - Aman - Hoglander

PDG
Studnicka

Podkolzin etc.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Think it might also be wise, to add a cheap goalie.    Silvos seems like he's ready for the show for sure.    But it's a bit of a risk going into this season with Demko and Silvos.    And shouldn't cost much to shore your bets.   Stallock at league min, one way, plus some bonus structure if he's needed and plays ...  for sure would use up a roster spot for that.     Might require something else but jamming him into the cap structure shouldn't be too difficult. 

We have Spencer Martin in the lineup right now.  With 47 spots out of 50 taken I don't think we will sign another goalie.  We also have Tolopilo in Abby to partner with Silovs...

• Upvote 1

UFA signing 1: Loui Eriksson out of Frolunda (6x6)

UFA signing 2: Jay Beagle (3x3)

UFA signing 3: Antoine Roussel (3x3)

That gives us a past 30 goal swedish scorer (should mesh very well with Petey), a 3C, and a penalty killer

Kuzmenko-Petey-Eriksson

Garland-Miller-Boeser

Roussel-Beagle- nvm im too lazy to finish this

• Wat 1

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

I'd be all for this. If Pearson is healthy though and still half-good he'd be a solid addition to our 3rd line, think Pearson - Blueger - Garland would be a pretty gritty forechecking line, and he's a great PKer too. If he's slow or not good enough anymore, then I agree - trade or dump him to the AHL. I'd love to think that PDG is buried in Abby as well, so that opens up space for Hoglander or Podkolzin, but also Suter.

PDG
Studnicka

Podkolzin etc.

the issue i have with that 3rd line is theres basically 0 offensive talent

Pearson hasnt had a passable offensive season since 2019 despite playing with very talented linemates, Garland is more of a set up guy, and Bleuger is defense first all the way.

Most teams now roll out some scoring ability on their 3rd line, its too easy to matchup against us if we only have 2 scoring lines.

Id like to see Podkolzin on that 3rd line with Garland, they should be able to make something work. Podz has a lot of natural offensive talent, hopefully he can put it together. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 7/26/2023 at 6:57 AM, DownUndaCanuck said:

PDG
Studnicka

Podkolzin etc.

Again - you've put Hogs and Podz too far down the depth chart.  If you want to put Podkolzin in the press box or on the fourth line, better to just send him back down to Abbotsford.  For Hoglander, probably better to trade him away (not sure if he's still waiver-exempt).

23 hours ago, eeeeergh said:

the issue i have with that 3rd line is theres basically 0 offensive talent

Pearson hasnt had a passable offensive season since 2019 despite playing with very talented linemates, Garland is more of a set up guy, and Bleuger is defense first all the way.

Most teams now roll out some scoring ability on their 3rd line, its too easy to matchup against us if we only have 2 scoring lines.

Id like to see Podkolzin on that 3rd line with Garland, they should be able to make something work. Podz has a lot of natural offensive talent, hopefully he can put it together. 

Garland is a criminally underrated playmaker.  In 5v5 situations, he's probably our second-best playmaking forward (behind Pettersson).  Wherever he plays, he will definitely bolster the scoring on that line.  The problem is when Boeser/Beauvillier fall into the bottom six.  They are not good at passing or creating scoring chances, leaving the third/fourth line without any real identity.

Podkolzin has a lot to focus on.  We worked very hard this past season on developing his two-way game.  I'm not opposed to him getting sent back down for the first half of the year.

Suter I'd be ok with on a 1 year deal, there's better 3C options in next years ufa class. If we can find a way to dump Myers we should target Dumba to play with Hughes on 2 year stop gap contract while we wait for Willander. He's a free asset whether he works out or not.

Suter is likely still unsigned because he wants too much $.  He was making +$3.25m last year, which was already

too much.  He would be a decent addition as the 3C, but the Canucks can't do it; even if the price was fair.

I don't see Dumbo as an economical RD for the team, as he will likely want $ and term that the Canucks

can't do.  No more FWs for the team; there are too many as it is, which is blocking young talent.  Trade

Beau + for a short term 3C and leave it at that.

The real story of the lineup will unfold during training camp.  I am hoping we see some surprises this season.

Every year, we see young players on other teams making the jump to then NHL and some of them were very late

pics in their draft.  This team has several players that are 0-3 yrs away from joining the team, so I would

hate to see any of them get stuck in the AHL for longer than required.

This isn't the year for the Canucks anyways. Maybe they make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, but they

are still a few years away from contending.  Stay the course and develop the kids properly.  Let them play

in Vancouver as soon as they're ready.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Suter is likely still unsigned because he wants too much $.  He was making +$3.25m last year, which was already

too much.  He would be a decent addition as the 3C, but the Canucks can't do it; even if the price was fair.

I don't see Dumbo as an economical RD for the team, as he will likely want $ and term that the Canucks

can't do.  No more FWs for the team; there are too many as it is, which is blocking young talent.  Trade

Beau + for a short term 3C and leave it at that.

The real story of the lineup will unfold during training camp.  I am hoping we see some surprises this season.

Every year, we see young players on other teams making the jump to then NHL and some of them were very late

pics in their draft.  This team has several players that are 0-3 yrs away from joining the team, so I would

hate to see any of them get stuck in the AHL for longer than required.

This isn't the year for the Canucks anyways. Maybe they make the playoffs and lose in the 1st round, but they

are still a few years away from contending.  Stay the course and develop the kids properly.  Let them play

in Vancouver as soon as they're ready.

It's getting late in the offseason.  Tatar is the last big domino that hasn't yet fallen.  Apart from guys like Suter/Dumba, the only free agents left are primarily old guys and minimum wage players (like the ones I had in my OP).  To that end, I doubt Suter and Dumba will get anything more than a cheap 1-year deal.  

As for the kids... I don't know if any of the defensemen are ready for the big jump.  Maybe Hirose.  We have some notable forwards to use - Aman, Podkolzin, and Hoglander.  But come preseason, every team brings try-out skaters.  It's not out of the ordinary for a try-out or two to outperform the prospects and make the team.  If that happens, I want them to be useful players like ZAR or Heinen, and not guys like Hamonic and Chiasson (who we signed after try-outs).

• Vintage 1

26 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

It's getting late in the offseason.  Tatar is the last big domino that hasn't yet fallen.  Apart from guys like Suter/Dumba, the only free agents left are primarily old guys and minimum wage players (like the ones I had in my OP).  To that end, I doubt Suter and Dumba will get anything more than a cheap 1-year deal.  

As for the kids... I don't know if any of the defensemen are ready for the big jump.  Maybe Hirose.  We have some notable forwards to use - Aman, Podkolzin, and Hoglander.  But come preseason, every team brings try-out skaters.  It's not out of the ordinary for a try-out or two to outperform the prospects and make the team.  If that happens, I want them to be useful players like ZAR or Heinen, and not guys like Hamonic and Chiasson (who we signed after try-outs).

If they do bring in any more vets, it's got to be on a short term contract.

I do think there are some forwards (other than the ones you mentioned) that may be ready in a year or to.

It would be good for them to get some experience at some point this season.  It seems that the Canucks

have a much better training and developing system in Abby.  It has never seemed to me that the Canucks

focussed much on their prospects to the degree that other teams have in the past.

I am hoping that some of the prospects that are getting close and are playing well in Abby, will get a

callup during the season.  I am concerned that Podz will be sent down because he is waiver exempt while

they keep guys like Dries and so on.  Hogs will likely get a chance, but there are a lot of FWs competing.

I’d love Suter but I was surprised to see his last contract was a 3.25 x 2 … thought it was a bit lower.  You’d have to think if he was willing to sign a Bleuger (coming off a 2.2 x 2) type deal it would be done already.

On 7/25/2023 at 11:25 AM, Bob.Loblaw said:

We simply don't have cheap depth forwards.  The UFA forwards I've proposed are all incredibly cheap and are proven bottom-six players who probably haven't been signed because of a tight cap - a situation our team is also struggling with.  It's still a very team-friendly market right now and I feel like Vancouver still has some potential to exploit that more.  Staying put is going to result in an another ineffective forward core beyond the top six.  I mean, just look at this trio and ask yourself if you think they can do better in the bottom six:

Could contain: Person, Text, Chart, Plot, Number, Symbol, Face, HeadCould contain: Person, TextCould contain: Boy, Male, Person, Teen, Text, Number, Symbol

You put them on a line together and nothing's going to happen offensively.  But they are probably going to give up a lot of scoring chances.

I knew Aman was terrible but this is a whole new level. As for Brock and Beau, they both have proven upside.

Beau, when he first arrived, was on fire. His speed and ability to go N/S was very impressive and he outplayed the old Bo. He looks revitalized from Long Island and that War chart doesn’t really tell his story. He will continue to impress.

Brock will hopefully regain his form after dealing with his psychological and physical issues he faced last year. His War chart doesn’t exactly sum up his last couple years in terms of talent.

Both Beau and Brock will flourish this year, either in the top 6 or 3rd line. 

The one guy you mentioned in Danton Heinen, he is one of my close friend’s nephew. He would be a great add and is definitely a solid “traditional” bottom 6 addition. Danton’s War chart is excellent and has good attitude.

Imo  Anthony is a borderline 3rd line player.

His offense is dubious, with a career high 40 points, last season,  for .487 per game- and a minus player in 3 of his last 4 seasons. 

Even if he could keep his Canuck pace-by playing half the season with Petey, he's still  around a 50 point guy

over his career he has 229 points in 490 games good for a  .467 points a game pace- which comes out to 38.32 per season average.

Seems like a decent guy, but not a significant piece to any puzzle. Much like many of the Canuck players.

Only in Canuck land, is a player of this level, worried about so much.

If he could use his speed to become a more defensively aware player, he might get to keep his salary over  about $2 mill per.

9 hours ago, grandmaster said:

I knew Aman was terrible but this is a whole new level. As for Brock and Beau, they both have proven upside.

Beau, when he first arrived, was on fire. His speed and ability to go N/S was very impressive and he outplayed the old Bo. He looks revitalized from Long Island and that War chart doesn’t really tell his story. He will continue to impress.

Brock will hopefully regain his form after dealing with his psychological and physical issues he faced last year. His War chart doesn’t exactly sum up his last couple years in terms of talent.

Both Beau and Brock will flourish this year, either in the top 6 or 3rd line. 

The one guy you mentioned in Danton Heinen, he is one of my close friend’s nephew. He would be a great add and is definitely a solid “traditional” bottom 6 addition. Danton’s War chart is excellent and has good attitude.

I knew someone here would know Heinen.  He's probably chilling in Langley right now.

Don't put too much stock into Aman's card.  Last year he was basically a part-time rookie who subbed in wherever he was needed.  All these numbers can get turned upside down depending on what kind of environment he plays in this year.  Maybe he ends up in the same position but just improvements across the board.  A couple of things do stand out, however.  He did a solid job defending in his own end, while doing an even better job on the PK.  And he was also a black hole offensively.  Definitely needs to work on that this offseason if he wants a permanent spot on this team.  If paired with two scoring wingers (like Boeser and Beauvillier), he won't have the ability to dish the puck.

Which brings us back to those two wingers.  Both have really struggled the last couple of years.  What's concerning is that both of them used to have very strong analytics.  That's why you can see how far they've dropped off in the progression chart.  Flashback a couple of years and both of them had blue numbers across the board - true top six material where they belonged.  Their potential is obviously high - no doubt about.  Boeser in particular looked fantastic during the 19-20 season.  But neither have played up to that potential for some time now, and thus most posters here would agree both are not worth their contracts.

Here's something that might alarm you - some of Beauvillier's numbers actually dropped off after playing games here in Vancouver.  Below is his card at the time of the trade (so just factoring his games for NYI).  Compare it to the one I posted earlier.  At least his scoring went up.

Could contain: Person, Text, Chart, Line Chart

• 1 month later...