The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Sven Baertschi announces retirement

Rate this topic

I remember wanting Rasmus Andersson with that 2nd and of course Calgary had to take him.

That said, I liked Baertschi in his time here. Like others have said injuries and inconsistency most likely related to injuries caused him to fall off. Think he carved out a respectable career given the circumstances. 

All the best to him in his retirement.

• Cheers 1

18 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

:picard: Your a waste of time to converse with.  

You should move to Melmac with Alf. :lol:

Really? I'm the waste of time? You still haven't put any evidence he didn't put the work in (I know why, it's cause it's not true and you have no proof)

• Cheers 1

He should be forced to live in Jim Benning's basement for length of the contract he signed with Benning. Every single player that retires needs to live in Jim Benning's basement for the exact contract term signed. 

Every bad contract that is. There were a lot. 

6 hours ago, EdgarM said:

Oh here comes canuck 73 and all his wisdom again. :lol:

Thanks again for your insightful contribution to the conversation as usual.

We have had a multitude of soft players who chose not to throw body checks, block shots, get into the dirty areas, stick up for team mates etc. which contributed to the Country Club atmosphere. Sven was a part of that. Its my opinion and I don't really care if you don't like it, it is a chat forum after all, no? ::D

Through his three years with the Canucks where he played over 50 games, Baer was 4th, 4th, and 5th in shot blocking for Canuck forwards.  Of the 10 instances where another forward got more, 8 of them played more games than Baer.  Not too much of a slouch there, IMO.

He was a small player, so generally being on the lower end of hitting or fighting isn't much of a surprise. 

It seems that your opinion of one-dimensionality isn't shared by all here, perhaps not even by many.  Baer wasn't a star, but he was good enough to make it in the door and keep a job.  Just not sturdy (or lucky?) enough to keep it.

Edit: meant to include a link to a cool stat site I hadn't used before - https://www.moneypuck.com/stats.htm

Edited by Kragar
  • Cheers 2

I really liked this player. I’m a firm believer he would have carved out a pretty long career hadn’t he had concussion problems. I was legit upset when he was cut over players like LE and whatever plugs were playing over him at the time. I don’t know if he deserved that but also injuries did play a big factor. 

All the best Sven 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

16 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Really? I'm the waste of time? You still haven't put any evidence he didn't put the work in (I know why, it's cause it's not true and you have no proof)

Yes, you always end up with some insulting comment regarding one of my statements without providing any counter argument. It has happened numerous times in previous conversations. I can respect that you have an opinion and I have mine but it seems, if no one follows your argument, you think they are off their rocker. 

Like i said, a waste of my time if that is how you want to conduct business. To each their own I guess.

Maybe you misunderstood because I mentioned many examples of not putting in the work; not body checking(and don't give me stats because I think the Sedins and Cliff Ronning have hits in their stats as well), blocking shots, getting in the dirty areas, basically a one dimensional player, pure offense.

11 hours ago, Kragar said:

Through his three years with the Canucks where he played over 50 games, Baer was 4th, 4th, and 5th in shot blocking for Canuck forwards.  Of the 10 instances where another forward got more, 8 of them played more games than Baer.  Not too much of a slouch there, IMO.

He was a small player, so generally being on the lower end of hitting or fighting isn't much of a surprise. 

It seems that your opinion of one-dimensionality isn't shared by all here, perhaps not even by many.  Baer wasn't a star, but he was good enough to make it in the door and keep a job.  Just not sturdy (or lucky?) enough to keep it.

Edit: meant to include a link to a cool stat site I hadn't used before - https://www.moneypuck.com/stats.htm

No your probably right, it probably has a lot to do with my frustration of the down falls of this team for decades. We have been the softies, gentlemanly team with a country club atmosphere for decades. We had many players who were great in the regular season and collapsed in the playoffs.

No gamers who elevated their game in the playoffs and just rolled over and took it when the game got a lot more physical and intense.

Most of my comments come from observations on the ice so I don't rely too much on the exact stats of every player on the team. 

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

Yes, you always end up with some insulting comment regarding one of my statements without providing any counter argument. It has happened numerous times in previous conversations. I can respect that you have an opinion and I have mine but it seems, if no one follows your argument, you think they are off their rocker. 

Like i said, a waste of my time if that is how you want to conduct business. To each their own I guess.

Maybe you misunderstood because I mentioned many examples of not putting in the work; not body checking(and don't give me stats because I think the Sedins and Cliff Ronning have hits in their stats as well), blocking shots, getting in the dirty areas, basically a one dimensional player, pure offense.

Seems like more than one person disagrees with you now and you're throwing a temper tantrum right now. 

As for the one dimensional player there are many one dimensional players on both sides of offense and defense, Jay Beagle is an effective one dimensional player on the defensive end. No team will have 18 flawless 2 dimensional players so your argument for Baertschi is kind of moot.

Fact is he was a pretty effective middle 6 winger here whether you like it or not, and he had a career despite all your attempts to discredit him.

I've been critical of some players. My only hatred is reserved for Mr. Lays.

Because whatever he achieved on the ice, his personality, and ego here in Vancouver makes me loathe him.

But because a player doesn't fit the style you like. Just say you didn't like him as a player. And that's all you have to say.

I just hope he has no long term effects from concussions.

End of speech.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

No your probably right, it probably has a lot to do with my frustration of the down falls of this team for decades. We have been the softies, gentlemanly team with a country club atmosphere for decades. We had many players who were great in the regular season and collapsed in the playoffs.

No gamers who elevated their game in the playoffs and just rolled over and took it when the game got a lot more physical and intense.

Most of my comments come from observations on the ice so I don't rely too much on the exact stats of every player on the team. 

No lack of frustration there!  Cheers.

1 hour ago, EdgarM said:

I'd say Kesler was a gamer, who fed off of the intensity. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Seems like more than one person disagrees with you now and you're throwing a temper tantrum right now. 

As for the one dimensional player there are many one dimensional players on both sides of offense and defense, Jay Beagle is an effective one dimensional player on the defensive end. No team will have 18 flawless 2 dimensional players so your argument for Baertschi is kind of moot.

Fact is he was a pretty effective middle 6 winger here whether you like it or not, and he had a career despite all your attempts to discredit him.

Nah not throwing a tantrum just don't care much for the player, we all have our own opinions. Don't care what you think either to be honest. ::D

You think he was effective, I don't. Seems like not many other teams liked him either or deemed him effective or useful. 

4 hours ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd say Kesler was a gamer, who fed off of the intensity. 

I agree, "Beast Mode" on Nashville yes! Hansen was great, Burrows at times, Linden in 94 playoffs, Bure on Churla. We have had some good players but as a team, we didn't play like Kesler played most nights. I really wished Bo would have turned out, but that didn't happen. Same with Virtanen. 

I like the direction we are going lately though, things are looking up. 

• Cheers 1

23 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

I agree, "Beast Mode" on Nashville yes! Hansen was great, Burrows at times, Linden in 94 playoffs, Bure on Churla. We have had some good players but as a team, we didn't play like Kesler played most nights. I really wished Bo would have turned out, but that didn't happen. Same with Virtanen

I like the direction we are going lately though, things are looking up. 

Those two really don't belong in the same sentence.  Bo was like Ritchie Cunningham (ok but 'hum drum').  Virtanen was Potsie Weber.

:ph34r:

Kesler only issue was that he didn't know when to 'pace himself'.  He had only one speed setting - turbo mode :lol:  

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan