The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[3-Way Trade] Penguins acquire Erik Karlsson, Rem Pitlick, Dillon Hamaliuk, 2026 3rd-round pick; Sharks acquire Mikael Granlund, Jan Rutta, Mike Hoffman, 2024 1st-round pick; Canadiens acquire Jeff Petry, Casey DeSmith, Nathan Legare, 2025 2nd-round pick

30 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The Sharks got purposefully worse. They were bad with EK. Now they are terrible. Only the Habs might be a worse club. 

I presume they have nothing on their back end now that I think about it. Some first round picks here for San Jose. 

3 minutes ago, Ted Lasso said:

Rutta & Sturm for Myers+ ?

The rumoured deal was Labanc for Myers 1-for-1 per Seravalli.  SJS has been trying to trade Labanc ever since Grier took over.  Feels like it was cap dump for cap dump and not real interest in Myers.  Also SJS pulled out of the trade.  

Edited by mll
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Yikes.  Dubas really going all-in on the zero defence model.  You can't win in the playoffs with a defenceman who can't play defence, which Pittsburgh is now stuck with for 4 more years.  Their window slammed shut with this deal.

And somehow they got 'younger' in the deal :mellow:

2 hours ago, qwijibo said:

I’m curious what Montreal’s asking price would be for Petry (50% retained) at a $2.34M cap hit?

Cleary he was seen as a negative asset for the Pens at $6.25M, but a quick peek at the analytics shows a current player value of around $4M (some models even value him higher) And he’s a veteran RHD with size (6’3”, 210 lbs) who continues to log around 22 minutes a night, had 190 hits and 111 blocks last season (in just 61 games), scored 31 points (1/2 point a game rate; 22 of those points at even strength), and maintained positive statistical 5v5 impacts, both on offence and defence, even in what was considered a pretty disappointing season in Pittsburgh.

He’s 35+ and definitely declining, but I still think Petry could easily outperform his contract just $2.34M per season for the next two years. He might even offer a team significant surplus value at that rate.

• Cheers 2

Anyone know what the record is on most pieces moving in trade? This has got to be up there. But honestly a lot of this feels like moving pieces just for the sake of moving them.

For Montreal, the 2nd is nice and DeSmith can be a pretty solid 1B in a tandem, but they also already have 3 NHL capable goalies and DeSmith isn't actually that young. I guess the bonus is they dumped Hoffman.

Pittsburgh just acquired a new top pairing this offseason in Graves-Karlsson. However, there is risk with Karlsson as even though he's coming off a fantastic resurgence he had 2 brutal seasons just prior. Once Karlsson no longer gets his 70% offensive zone starts, he could become a liability again.

San Jose at least gets a 1st round pick for Karlsson, but they also get a lot of junk coming back as well.

Honestly just a lot of meh all around. Montreal probably does the best as the assets they got are at least still movable for other assets.

Sharks trying to establish themselves as the previous years chicago? trade to get worse....man they are tryin hard for next years first pick. 

Pens do have Guentzel out for the first month of the season so they are gonna struggle a bit...still must b good for Karlsson to get to a more competitive team. 

Habs get Petry so they got that for them...aslo gettin rid of Hoffman...(imagine Pens gettin Hoffman and Karlsson given their history :blink:)

3 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

I’m curious what Montreal’s asking price would be for Petry (50% retained) at a $2.34M cap hit?

Cleary he was seen as a negative asset for the Pens at $6.25M, but a quick peek at the analytics shows a current player value of around $4M (some models even value him higher) And he’s a veteran RHD with size (6’3”, 210 lbs) who continues to log around 22 minutes a night, had 190 hits and 111 blocks last season (in just 61 games), scored 31 points (1/2 point a game rate; 22 of those points at even strength), and maintained positive statistical 5v5 impacts, both on offence and defence, even in what was considered a pretty disappointing season in Pittsburgh.

He’s 35+ and definitely declining, but I still think Petry could easily outperform his contract just $2.34M per season for the next two years. He might even offer a team significant surplus value at that rate.

If they were to retain 50% for 2 seasons I'd think a team would need to pony up a 2nd and a 3rd.