The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Brandon Sutter with Oilers

1 hour ago, DrJockitch said:

That’s your opinion. He was paid to produce and be foundational. He didn’t produce and wasn’t that good defensively or really all that physical. He was bad with the young players. 
He was big, right handed and good at face offs and provide a small amount of physical play. He was behind the play frequently and was where offence went to die. 
He was a decent 4th line C getting paid a fortune and crapping on our youth.  
hope he has recovered and glad he has moved on. 

Not good with the young players?  How...Oh calling them out.   Ok.  Isn't that what veterans are for?  Or are they there, instead, to kiss their boo-boo's,  like some people think they should.   Balls. 

Edited by IBatch

10 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Don't understand why anyone would turn this into a Brandon Sutter trashing thread.     He played well for us under the circumstances.   Wasn't his fault he was supposed to fill Kesler's shoes, or that he went from ironman to Sami Salo overnight.  It's hockey.   Get over it. 

I remember when that clown Ryan Johansen speared Gudbranson in the sack and Edler and Sutter jumped to Erik's defense and chased the gutless Johansen around the ice. Sutter was a good teammate. 

Edited by PhillipBlunt
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

Good call, signing Brandon to a PTO.

This is a notice/warning to all the other 'maybe' players.

If they can't beat out a a 34 yr old covid victim, that hasn't played pro hockey in 2 and a half  years- that is on them. No excuses for those that can't best him.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Not good with the young players?  How...Oh calling them out.   Ok.  Isn't that what veterans are for?  Or are they there, instead, to kiss their boo-boo's,  like some people think they should.   Balls. 

Right.

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

Don't understand why anyone would turn this into a Brandon Sutter trashing thread.     He played well for us under the circumstances.   Wasn't his fault he was supposed to fill Kesler's shoes, or that he went from ironman to Sami Salo overnight.  It's hockey.   Get over it. 

No doubt. He never lived up to completely unreal expectations but he gave his all to the Canucks and has gone through a horrible illness and recovery suffered while he was a team member. Deserves some respect. Definitely didn't hurt our team except for his absence in his last contract year. His face-offs and PK alone would have made quite the difference that gloomy year.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

If he makes the Oilers that makes me think they are not as good as some may believe.

If he makes the Oilers and actually makes valuable contributions to their bottom-6 - their 3rd line, specifically - it’ll make me think the Canucks were asleep at the wheel and missed out on a desperately needed and cheap FA RH 3C. 

• Cheers 1

21 hours ago, -DLC- said:

I don't buy the "you have to play competitive sports" to know about human beings. Again, they're all individuals and different. Pack mentality applies when they're in the heat of the competition/game. But players train with players from other teams in the summer....it gets dropped and they're all just hockey players.

Sutter was on THIS team...so to suggest he hates Vancouver isn't really supported through your comment.

And listen to JT's interview to see that the NHL is a bit of a brotherhood once the game ends. Many players speak fondly of their former teams/teammates. I mean, players don't stay on one team and learn to embrace their new homes as they move around. I don't think it's soft to not burn bridges, I think it's smart and more common than holding on to hatred and loyalty based on one particular place. That's pretty limiting.

I forgot my usual "yawn" to your post.

• Wat 3

On 8/9/2023 at 10:24 AM, canuck73_3 said:

He's a defensive/shutdown center, judging him solely on points and plus minus with zero context is moronic

Wow. Brutal comment partner.

My post highlighted how few games he played and how much he cost.   Comments about points and plus minus were only a part of the picture.

You need to improve your reading comprehension buddy.

Sutter was a big disappointment and an anchor contract while he was here. The majority of the fan base agrees with this. You somehow missed it.

13 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Wow. Brutal comment partner.

My post highlighted how few games he played and how much he cost.   Comments about points and plus minus were only a part of the picture.

You need to improve your reading comprehension buddy.

Sutter was a big disappointment and an anchor contract while he was here. The majority of the fan base agrees with this. You somehow missed it.

Injuries are beyond his or the teams control, he was good and our PK was solid when he was here. It has struggled a lot since he’s been off the team. 

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

Injuries are beyond his or the teams control, he was good and our PK was solid when he was here. It has struggled a lot since he’s been off the team. 

Nah he was very overpaid and was a big disappointment.  Never lived up to his paycheck or expectations. One of the bigger Benning disappointments on a long term contract. 

• RoughGame 1

8 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Nah he was very overpaid and was a big disappointment.  Never lived up to his paycheck or expectations. One of the bigger Benning disappointments on a long term contract. 

Disagree he was good when healthy and a massive part of our pk. Most are just too uneducated to see how much of an impact he made defensively when healthy. 

• There it is 3
  • elephant 1

12 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

Disagree he was good when healthy and a massive part of our pk. Most are just too uneducated to see how much of an impact he made defensively when healthy. 

Nah that's a brutal take.  He was overpaid and often injured. His impact on the team was muted by injury and his cap hit was a problem.  I have had season tix for years and I watched Sutter live many nights.

He was inconsistent as a player.  He was also often a passenger. You are entitled to your opinion - wrong though it may be.

But listen partner how about stopping taking swipes at other posters simply because they disagree with you?

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

Nah that's a brutal take.  He was overpaid and often injured. His impact on the team was muted by injury and his cap hit was a problem.  I have had season tix for years and I watched Sutter live many nights.

He was inconsistent as a player.  He was also often a passenger. You are entitled to your opinion - wrong though it may be.

But listen partner how about stopping taking swipes at other posters simply because they disagree with you?

When they are uneducated takes I'll call them out, the only wrong opinion here is yours bud ::D

13 hours ago, canuck73_3 said:

me thunk he gud, no be gud as fowndashonal but prity gud wen hellthy and doing pk .  like yous saying

• Haha 1