The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Senators, Canucks Could Be Teams To Watch On Trade Market

RWJC

1 minute ago, Strawbone said:

I think you're right that he'll try. If both are moved in this market without including too many sweeteners, I'll be really impressed.

Same. It's possible, and I think Alvin stands a better than chance of pulling it off than the dimbulb that preceded him. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Same. It's possible, and I think Alvin stands a better than chance of pulling it off than the dimbulb that preceded him. 

Agreed. Alvin does not seem like someone who will be coerced in to a bad deal out of desperation. He's quietly impressed me since he started the job, and I had my doubts the first few months.

• Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, Strawbone said:

Agreed. Alvin does not seem like someone who will be coerced in to a bad deal out of desperation. He's quietly impressed me since he started the job, and I had my doubts the first few months.

Conservative when he needs to be conservative (sticking to his guns with Horvat) and aggressive when he needs to be aggressive (trading for Hronek at the deadline, buying out OEL).

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

The Horvat deal was far from impressive, and needed the Hronek deal to salvage it. Barely.

The scope of the deal can’t be known yet as Raty is still developing and Beauvillier can still bring a return.

Not to mention whether Hronek can be a core piece for us.

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The scope of the deal can’t be known yet as Raty is still developing and Beauvillier can still bring a return.

Not to mention whether Hronek can be a core piece for us.

Then what is impressive..? Sub par return for Horvat, somewhat balanced by an arguably high cost to aquire the uncertainty of Hronek. What am I missing?

OEL buyout? Recent depth signings? If I was looking for a word to describe PA's dealing this past year, I think I'd lean toward "meh".

• Haha 1
  • Wat 1

3 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

Then what is impressive..? Sub par return for Horvat, somewhat balanced by an arguably high cost to aquire the uncertainty of Hronek. What am I missing?

OEL buyout? Recent depth signings? If I was looking for a word to describe PA's dealing this past year, I think I'd lean toward "meh".

Again, you are totally wrong. Horfat Wallet was the elephant in our room. If we got nothing back it's a win just to dumperoo him and his selfishness. But we got three players better than him. That's winning. 

• There it is 1

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Again, you are totally wrong. Horfat Wallet was the elephant in our room. If we got nothing back it's a win just to dumperoo him and his selfishness. But we got three players better than him. That's winning. 

Apologies Alf, I just can't take anything you say seriously. I've always respected Deniro's opinions on these forums, so hopefully he can enlighten me. Enjoy your re-runs!

• Wat 1

29 minutes ago, Maninthebox said:

What you're missing, is the cost to keep him.  Is it ok to pay a second line center, which  8.5 x 8?   And have no way to trade him... buyout candidate late in his career.  That's the opportunity cost you're missing out on.  And given it was his last season, no term left - what do you really think there was a better deal available?    That's not a sub-par return.   It was market return.    Suppose we could have kept NYI first, Button said if we didn't trade that for Hronek, might as well traded EP and QHs, 100% agree with that.   Something we could be doing anyways depending on this next season.   Horvat at 8.5 x 8 yikes even Lou said it was way too much after he signed him.    And he's right.

Edit:  The other stuff is meh.  Aside from Soucy.   Just patchwork.   Don't blame him for OEL.   He's got all the data.  But not sure I like that either.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

You’re assuming too many things.

How do you know Raty doesn’t keep developing into a very good second line center?

What if Hronek is locked in and puts up 50-60 points while being a good two way D man?

What if Beauviller established himself as a really good second line winger here, or at the very least fetches a 2nd round pick at the deadline?

All of those things are very possible which is why it’s too early to know the full scope. I’ve seen lots of deals that people immediately praised that turned out to be a bunch of nothing later.

A roster player, prospect, and pick is pretty standard in any deal. Especially for a pending UFA at the deadline.

Yes.   I get the negative spin.   Team needed "major" surgery.    And he was the sacrifice.    That said, we wouldn't be so bad if he signed to a reasonable deal either.   Horvat went into last season as an individual more than a Captain.   Look what Linden did.  Without a contract went to camp anyways.   Not the same as last season,  Horvat seemed to lose more and more interest.   Didn't back-check like he used too.   Doing the motions with the media etc. 

Edited by IBatch

Just now, DeNiro said:

The fact is we couldn’t justify what he was asking for.

We weren’t just going to lock in the same team that couldn’t get it done. This team needed changes.

No team was going to offer us anything significant unless there was an extension in place. The Isles were clearly the only ones that weren’t scared away by his high demand.

He went for the money, good for him. We need a captain that will sacrifice for his team though.

Well said.   Hope Horvat can recover his scoring touch and have lots of success with the NYI.   A lot of his goals since he went on a tear, were tip ins.   Not sure whose shots he's going to tip in there, but he for sure found his niche.     And sure he's got a career season ahead of him yet as well.  

Was hoping to keep him.   In the end it worked out for us, in cap space, and them because they needed another guy too. 

• Cheers 1