The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Speculation) Senators, Canucks Could Be Teams To Watch On Trade Market

RWJC

I won't hold my breath on any trades. There's 8 teams that have $3.9 million in cap space. Anaheim with the largest amount of space has two RFA's they still have to sign. I don't think there's any market for our players unless it's picks and a prospect, or money coming back.

I can see at the deadline, or if there's injuries to other clubs trying to make the playoffs.

17 minutes ago, canuck73_3 said:

Anyone calling that meh is delusional

Careful what you say.   If "meh" is average ... then mehbe  he's right?   For years I supported JB stuff with context.   Mikheyev has a lot to prove to be nothing then just another overpaid player.     We won't know about his picks for awhile, but go figure - full Swede so far.    And on that note, at least he knows which side of the bread the butter's on in Vancouver.   Swedish side.    

Feel he did what he could with what he had, but also did some of the same things JB did year to year last season for sure.   It could be more "meh" then you think, assuming it's "average", we could even be hoping it's "more meh"  because it doesn't make "sub-meh" by the end of this season.   And I like your enthusiasm.   But maybe we are actually the delusional ones.    I don't know what "meh " means other than watching my young adult kids shrug their shoulders after asking "how was dinner?" and saying "meh , you've done better".    Or how was school "meh".    Seems like a pretty good description to me of the state of our franchise.    Not many people felt the bubble was "meh" either.    In other words it could be better.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Careful what you say.   If "meh" is average ... then mehbe  he's right?   For years I supported JB stuff with context.   Mikheyev has a lot to prove to be nothing then just another overpaid player.     We won't know about his picks for awhile, but go figure - full Swede so far.    And on that note, at least he knows which side of the bread the butter's on in Vancouver.   Swedish side.    

Feel he did what he could with what he had, but also did some of the same things JB did year to year last season for sure.   It could be more "meh" then you think, assuming it's "average", we could even be hoping it's "more meh"  because it doesn't make "sub-meh" by the end of this season.   And I like your enthusiasm.   But maybe we are actually the delusional ones.    I don't know what "meh " means other than watching my young adult kids shrug their shoulders after asking "how was dinner?" and saying "meh , you've done better".    Or how was school "meh".    Seems like a pretty good description to me of the state of our franchise.    Not many people felt the bubble was "meh" either.    In other words it could be better.   

No even objectively meh is myopic at best. Trolling at worst. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Petey Castiglione said:

At this point it doesn't matter which one.  Garland preferably as we get out from that contract and hopefully flip Beau at the deadline.

Garland is one of our best producing 5 on 5 players I wouldn't be so quick to move him you need guys like that especially late in the season and in the playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Just now, canuck73_3 said:

Garland is one of our best producing 5 on 5 players I wouldn't be so quick to move him you need guys like that especially late in the season and in the playoffs.

Not to mention one of the better players at drawing penalties in the entire league.

We want our powerplay going to work as much as possible.

Beauvillier brings nice speed and can produce as a support player. He doesn’t bring much else though. We need guys that bring more than that.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Curmudgeon said:

You obviously haven't been paying attention. Just so you know, I have kept track of every transaction that Allvin and company have made. It is anything but meh.

Signed FA Arshdeep Bains

Signed C Linus Karlsson

Signed Swedish UFA Nils Aman

Signed LD Christian Wolanin

Signed LW Andrei Kuzmenko to Entry Level, one-year deal, bonus laden. Then extended him for two more years.

Signed C/W Curtis Lazar to 3-year contract for $3 miliion, $1 million AAV. (Later trade for 4th roind pick 2023)

Signed RW Ilya Mikheyev to a 4-year, $19 million contract, $4.75 million AAV.

Signed C Dakota Joshua to a two-year, 1-way deal for $1.65 million, or $825 AAV.

Signed G Collin Delia to a one-year, one way contract for $750K.

Signed LD Wyatt Kalynuk to a one year, $750K contract. (Later traded for future considerations)

Signed LW Phil di Giuseppe to a 1-yr, $750K contract.

Traded C Jason Dickinson to Chicago for LD Riley Stillman (Later traded to Buffalo for LW Josh Bloom)

Traded G Mikey DiPietro and D Jonathan Myrenberg to Boston for C Jack Studnicka

Traded 5th Round 2023 to Carolina for RD Ethan Bear and minor leaguer C Lane Pederson

Lost C Lane Pederson on waivers to Columbus

Traded C Bo Horvat to NY Islanders for RW Anthony Beauvillier, C Aatu Raty and a conditional 1st round pick, either in 23 or 24

Traded RW Will Lockwood + 7th 2026 to New York Rangers for F Vitali Kravtsov

Traded D Riley Stillman to Buffalo for prospect LW Josh Bloom

Traded D Luke Schenn to Toronto for 3rd round 2023.

Traded NYI’s 1st round 2023 and Van 2nd round 2023 for RD Philip Hronek and Detroit’s 4th round 2023

Traded Curtis Lazar to New Jersey for 4th round 2024

Traded D Wyatt Kalynuk to New York Rangers for future considerations

Extended D Guillaume Brisebois for 2 years at $775K ($375K in the AHL) in first year and $775K in second year

Signed LD Kirill Kudryavtsev to a 3-year, entry level contract

Extended LW Phil Di Giuseppe to a two-year, two-way contract

Signed LW Aidan McDonough to a two-year, entry level contract

Extended Christian Wolanin to a two-year, two-way contract ($775K NHL and $500K AHL)

Signed NCAA C Max Sasson to a two-year, entry level contract

Signed NCAA LD Akito Hirose to a one-year, two-way contract

Signed G Nikita Tolopilo to two-year entry level contract. A Latvian, Tolopilo played with Sodertalje in the Allsvenskan.

Signed RD Cole McWard to two-year entry level contract. From Ohio State U, 39GP 9G 12A  21PTS

Signed LD Elias Pettersson to three-year, entry level contract. Will play one more year in Sweden with Orebro., SHL

Signed RW Jonathan Lekkerimaki to three-year, entry level contract. Loaned him to Orebro, SHL

Signed D Jett Woo to one-year, two-way deal. $775K at NHL level and $100K at AHL level.

Bought out D Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Signed C Pius Suter to two-year, $1.6 AAV contract. Played last year with Detroit.

NHL Entry Draft at Nashville

Round 1, 11th : Tom Willander, RD, 6’1”, 185. Played for Rogle in Swedish J20. 4-21-25 22PIM +7. Will play 23/24 at Boston U., NCAA.

Round 3, 75th : Hunter Brzustewicz, RD, 6’0”, 190. Played for Kitchener OHL. 6-51-57 12PIM +8

Round 3, 89th : Sawyer Mynio, LD, 6’1”, 173. Played for Seattle, WHL. 2-26-31 40PIM +50

Round 4, 105 : Ty Mueller, LC, 5’11”, 195. Played for U.Nebraska-Omaha, NCAA. 12-13-25 4PIM +9

Round 4, 107 : Vilmer Alriksson, LW 6’6”, 214. Played for Djurgardens J20.12-9-21 22PIM.  Will play 23/24 at Guelph, OHL.

Round 4, 119 : Matthew Perkins, LC, 5’11”, 156. Played for Youngstownm, USHL. 15-29-44, 77PIM

Round 6, 171 : Aiden Celebrini, RD, 6’1”, 187. Played for Brooks, AJHL. 5-16-21 82PIM. Will play 23/24 at Boston U., NCAA.

Free agency day

: Teddy Blueger, LC, 1yr x $1.9M. 28 years old, 4-12-14, 14 PIM, -2. ATOI 12:55

: Ian Cole, LD, 1 yr x $3M. 34 years old, 6’1” 225. 3-14-17, 61 PIM, +13 ATOI 19:23

: Carson Soucy, LD 3 years x $3.25M. 28 years old, 6’5”, 208,3-23-16, 68 PIM, +18 ATOI 16:18

: Matt Irwin, LD, 1 Year, $775K NHL, $450K AHL. 35 years old, 6’2”, 200, 2-3-5, 36PIM, -8. ATOI 13:02

: Zach Sawchenko, G, 1 year, $775K NHL, $200K AHL. 25 years old, 6’1, 185. 1-2-1, 3.35 GAA, .901 Sv%

Have been saying that I like the vast majority of the acquisitions PA has made.  My problems with how the club has been run are better seen from a few steps back and more and more seem to be related to the FA/JR pairing. 
The constant always take every shortcut to get better now approach has marked JR’s career and FA’s ownership.  This leads to always being tight against the cap no matter the quality of the team which handicaps us down the road. OEL the worst example of this.  This is still our general management philosophy it is just being carried out by a much smarter group. The path was wrong when the new group took over but now we are stuck on it and are doing a fair job of working in that restraint.  While the direction is the same it is now being done much more competently aside from some terrible PR problems. 
To quote myself from the spring, I said that after the OEL buyout, if we went into the draft and UFA frenzy with all that cap space and all we did was sign some middling UFAs then we would have squandered almost all the value of that cap space at a time when it was at it’s historical highest. I was mostly correct but did missed that this led to some particularly good values on the UFA market.  Still a loss of opportunity and a squandering of value but again PA did a really nice job in acquisitions.

I still do feel somewhat frustrated that the top priority of this club since they drafted him should have been to find Q a long term partner and we have done everything but.  Maybe they will run QH-Hronek with Soucy-Cole. I actually kind of prefer that. 
I think we signed some really good deals this off-season. Nothing bumping into the OEL penalty, filled some tough to fill positions at reasonable costs. Got a lot of size added to our D and should dramatically improve our PK as it is essentially all new.  That is some tidy work.  We have not been able to move money and our forward core actually got smaller somehow and we have a glut of about 37 middle 6 wingers. 
This year should be really fun. We could be terrible, we could be really good wouldn’t be surprised at either. Suspect we will be right there for WC, in or not, who knows. 

The pro scouting is so far ahead of Benning’s regime that you wonder if he was just watching highlights and picking who he liked from sport centre. 

• Cheers 1

If we want to clear cap now and in the future, the best trade option is Garland because of the term he has left. We don’t need to trade Beau, he’s on a cheaper contract and is a UFA by the end of season. There’s no denying Garland is better but Beau is more versatile of the two because he can play all forward positions. there’s no rush to trade him now when we can move him at the TD for a better return.

We also need to make space for Hogs/Podz/McDonough just in case they have really good camps. another redundant player we have is Studnicka, I don’t even have him on our starting roster I could see him being moved in a minor trade.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, canuck73_3 said:

No even objectively meh is myopic at best. Trolling at worst. 

Got it.   Next time I make a nice dinner and get "meh" then I'm going to laugh.  "Meh" isn't "so-so" or "it's ok".    It's them trying to get my goat - I knew it! 

1 hour ago, Phil_314 said:

Couldn't we just retain on Beauvillier or Myers and then trade him for next to nothing to Chicago?  Cap space is still valuable.

Retaining on Myers makes no sense as he's paid $1 Million after his bonus has been paid.

The reality, I don't see any teams that desperate to pick him up.

Maybe at the trade deadline?