The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

A Game Of Thrones: To the point of the TV show, no spoilers beyond that

Mr.Noodles

On 5/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, Fateless said:

9) Continuity. So many poor continuity mistakes and poor writing decisions. In the Battle for Winterfell, they clearly showed us that all the Dothraki got completely wiped out at the start of the episode, plus almost all the Unsullied were wiped out when the undead breached Winterfell, yet we are then told that large amounts of Dothraki and Unsullied survived to fight the battle for King's Landing. What? You want us to believe that Dany held a large part of her army out of the fight that almost killed her? How does that make any sense? It does not. 

I generally enjoyed much of the final season but that was one detail I found odd.

Several seasons ago, wasn't Dany trudging through the desert with just a handful of Dothraki?  And then suddenly she had thousands at Winterfell only to see them wiped out?  But then they were back again for the battle at King's Landing?

The same goes for the Unsullied.  Their numbers seemed to grow with every battle.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tre Mac said:

Assuming I had to do the Long Night battle first I think I would have Jorah survive the battle of winterfell and have a battle between Jon and the NK on dragons, Jon and his dragon gets fatally wounded and Arya finishes the NK off.  Dany goes mad seeing both Jon and Viserys(sp?) die, she goes nuts on Kings Landing and its Jorah that ends up killing her after what's left of her army gets wiped out by the Golden Company and their Elephants!  Jorah takes the black and becomes the Lord Commander just like his father did.

But a better finale would've been to switch the two battles, since the two sides couldn't put their differences aside, Dany obliterates Cersei's army - Jaime kills Cersei and himself via murder suicide when they know they've lost.  They come back North with a depleted army and one by one each remaining cast member gets killed in battle and the final scene plays out like the NK's final scene.  He walks up to Bran, places his hand on him and you get 2min of flashbacks and new footage as the screen fades to black and the show ends.

I like the part where Jaime kills Cersei as I thought this was going to happen since the prophecy by the witch in the hut telling her that she will be killed by her younger brother, which she always thought meant Tyrion. 

I was always waiting to see her reaction to her finding it was Jaime not Tyrion.

One thing I will say that I loved about the ending was the making of Bronn the Master of Coin especially since he didn't know how banks worked earlier in the show and claimed to have never had a debt before. 

5 hours ago, Aladeen said:

One thing I will say that I loved about the ending was the making of Bronn the Master of Coin especially since he didn't know how banks worked earlier in the show and claimed to have never had a debt before. 

Suspect he strong-armed Tyrion due to how much he could pocket with that appointment.

This excerpt from a Forbes article echoes my feelings on most of this season:

Imagine if Season 8 had been all about the Night King and the battle in the North. Bit by bit, the Night King would have taken over the lands in the North as winter deepened and the long night actually fell, blanketing not just the night in darkness, but the days also. And through all of this, Daenerys stood by the Starks and fought valiantly against the White Walkers.

The finale of Season 8 would have been the Battle of Winterfell (other smaller excursions and melees would have occurred, each more desperate than the last, as the season unfolded) with Arya killing the Night King and Jon Snow killing the undead Viserion. Meanwhile, in King’s Landing we would watch as Cersei shored up her power, constructing her ballistae and gathering her armies. Maybe we get to know the Golden Company a little bit. Euron gets fleshed out a bit more, maybe even finds a certain Horn he can use to control dragons. And Cersei’s belly grows as her womb quickens.

Then in Season 9, the armies begin to march south. Daenerys, fresh off the heels of her victory in the North, begins butting heads more and more with the Starks. Maybe the Dornish are brought back into play, and a rival alliance emerges. We get more game of thrones stuff as the march toward war with Cersei ensues. Maybe some smaller skirmishes between Lannister and Stark on the way to King’s Landing. Maybe Euron uses the Horn to turn Rhaegal, or scratching the Horn idea, maybe he devises some clever ambush where he takes Dragonstone and dresses his men up as Dany’s troops, then ambushes her and her retinue when they arrive, killing or capturing Rhaegal when he lands (as opposed to flying) and taking Missandei.

The point of all of this is to say that so much more could have happened along the way before we reached this huge climax. Daenerys has been changing for a long time now, but the show needed to make that process more organic, more developed and natural. Likewise, Jaime’s arc has been so fully fleshed out that it makes literally no sense to have him change the way he did, but with less rush and more careful storytelling, it might have been brilliant. More on this in a bit, and read Paul Tassi’s own take on the “betrayal” of both these character’s in last night’s episode.

Oh, and we could have had more instances of Daenerys burning people, for increasingly ruthless and petty reasons. Maybe start to show her enjoy the burning, give her a bit of her father’s pyromania. The point being, if we’d had two seasons, or even just a few more (long) episodes, so much more of this story could have been fleshed out, and fewer shortcuts taken. I mean, if you think back to past seasons we’ve had entire ten episode arcs leading to the blowing up of the Sept or the Red Wedding, but in Season 8 we get the final showdown with the Night King and Cersei in just five episodes. It’s . . . absurd, quite frankly.

The entire article does a good job of pointing out the flaws in some of the later episodes. It's 18 pages, so I won't post the text, but it's worth the read, IMO:

https://www3.forbes.com/business/biggest-problems-with-game-of-thrones-season-8-episodes-4-and-5/

16 hours ago, goalie13 said:

I generally enjoyed much of the final season but that was one detail I found odd.

Several seasons ago, wasn't Dany trudging through the desert with just a handful of Dothraki?  And then suddenly she had thousands at Winterfell only to see them wiped out?  But then they were back again for the battle at King's Landing?

The same goes for the Unsullied.  Their numbers seemed to grow with every battle.

That I didn't like either. Episode 3 was like Helms Deep and they had nothing left to defend with and yet her army was seemingly as big as it had ever been despite that.

The Night King isn't exactly known for his friendly face and adorable smile — and the extra-weird look he gave Bran Stark during the Battle of Winterfell on the final season of Game of Thrones had everyone wondering what was going on in his frosty brain. 
You probably remember how the scene went down: Bran sat beneath the weirwood tree in the godswood of Winterfell, awaiting the Night King's arrival. When the icy villain finally approached, he ambled toward the Stark man before stopping and staring into his eyes with an eerie look on his face — an expression most fans took as intent to murder Bran, a.k.a the Three-Eyed Raven. 
According to the Night King himself, Slovakian stuntman Vladimír Furdík, that isn't totally the case. Furdík recently revealed to Vulture the real reason why the Night King looked at Bran like he wanted to turn his insides to icicles using just his mind. 
As it turns out, it wasn't entirely because the Night King intended to hurt Bran. In actuality, the strange look he gave Bran was mostly the result of some interesting direction Furdík got ahead of the scene. The director of the Battle of Winterfell episode, Miguel Sapochnik, instructed Furdík to walk toward Bran Stark actor Isaac Hempstead Wright and imagine him as a cake that he desperately wanted to eat. 
"Because Miguel is a great director, he gave me very good direction. I remember a couple of times when I did the walk, and I go for my target, which was Bran, and he said, 'Bran, he is not man. He is a cake. And you would like to eat this cake. And I would like to see you acting, you're walking to him, you're walking like you're looking for that cake, which is waiting for you under the tree,'" explained Furdík. "Adults never run for the cake. They walk. You can see from an [adult's] body — they're going for a cake from grandmom, and they're looking forward to eating this cake. When I walk, you can see what Miguel said: 'Don't be a soldier. No. Just walk, confident. There's a cake.'"

Furdík continued, stating that the Night King may not have even wanted to kill Bran, thus killing the Three-Eyed Raven, once they finally locked eyes. Sure, the way the Night King stared at Bran suggests that murder was the only thing on his mind, but Furdík isn't convinced that was the villain's true desire at that point in time.
"Look, we think he's going to kill Bran, but who knows if he's going to kill him? He doesn't rush. Maybe he had different [plans]. Maybe he wanted to do something else. You know? Then [Arya Stark] kills him. But maybe he was gonna show them, 'No, no, no, wait, I'm here for something else!'" he said. 
Just as Furdík received instruction on how the Night King should look at Bran during the tense sequence, Hempstead Wright also spoke at length with director Sapochnik to decide the way Bran should look back at the Night King. The 20-year-old actor revealed to The New York Times that he and Sapochnik "came up with this idea that the look Bran gives the Night King is one of pity." 
Hempstead Wright further explained, "Bran saw the creation of the Night King, or the first White Walker, or whatever. He realizes that he was once just a normal guy who was forcibly strapped to a tree, and had a piece of dragonglass plunged in his heart. He didn't ask to become this raving, crazy ice killer … So we tried to get a moment where Bran is feeling sorry for him. Bran is looking at this ancient being who didn't want to become this murderer, but is."
While Hempstead Wright acknowledged that the Night King did have it out for the Three-Eyed Raven, he offered another explanation as to why he stopped to look at Bran with that haunting look on this face: "The reason the Night King takes so long is that he's been programmed to destroy the Three-Eyed Raven from the moment he was created, so he's taking a moment to savor it."
That pause wound up costing the Night King everything, as it opened up a window for Arya (Maisie Williams) to attack and kill him — plus destroy his pack of White Walkers and wights in the process. The Night King didn't get to have his cake or eat it too, and the leaves that sprouted through the snow during the closing moments of the Game of Thrones series finale prove that he never will. Winter is over, the Night King is dead, and spring is coming.

Read More: https://www.looper.com/152101/the-untold-truth-of-the-night-king/?utm_campaign=clip

https://www.looper.com/152101/the-untold-truth-of-the-night-king/

Be funny if the director never yelled cut and he had to keep going.  "Lick him, yeah he's tasty isn't he?  You want to carve a big piece, perhaps even a corner piece with extra icing.  That's it, just like that.  Oh yeah this is going to be great"  

On 5/21/2019 at 3:13 PM, goalie13 said:

In the "making of" clip after the battle at Winterfell the showrunners even acknowledged that the Dothraki had been "wiped out". 

15 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

In the "making of" clip after the battle at Winterfell the showrunners even acknowledged that the Dothraki had been "wiped out". 

Clearly we missed the scene where Dany flew Drogon to Kamino

• Haha 1

So one of the alternate endings was just having Jorah survived?  He takes the black with Jon just so they could mimic the very first shot with three members of the Nights Watch riding out of the wall.  That's pretty lame lol.  

This was the greatest show ever. The last season was a bit too rushed, needed about 6 more episodes but whatever. I still loved it.

Questions I have:

1) Did Dragon take his mother to those witches for revival? He should have barbecued Jon. Even though we all love him, he should have been turned to ash for that.

2) How would the others know of Jon stayed at or beyond the wall? He kind of rules that area. The Starks could easily sneak him into the North!

3) Where did the Dorthraki go? Is it assumed they are hanging out with the Unsully? 

4) I know there will be a prequel but it looks like they set this up for a sequel maybe years down the road. Has anyone spoken of this possibility from the writers or producer side? 

2 hours ago, grandmaster said:

This was the greatest show ever. The last season was a bit too rushed, needed about 6 more episodes but whatever. I still loved it.

Questions I have:

1) Did Dragon take his mother to those witches for revival? He should have barbecued Jon. Even though we all love him, he should have been turned to ash for that.

2) How would the others know of Jon stayed at or beyond the wall? He kind of rules that area. The Starks could easily sneak him into the North!

3) Where did the Dorthraki go? Is it assumed they are hanging out with the Unsully? 

4) I know there will be a prequel but it looks like they set this up for a sequel maybe years down the road. Has anyone spoken of this possibility from the writers or producer side? 

I think the sequel could possibly be following Arya on her adventures.  Most of the other GOT series will be prequels.

• Upvote 1