The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Official] Vancouver Whitecaps Thread

Tenacious

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 5:48 PM, UnkNuk said:

So where does MLS rank among world soccer leagues?  According to one site, it's tied for 52nd place (based on 2017 results).

https://iffhs.de/the-strongest-national-league-of-the-world-spains-primera-division-again/

WORLD RANKING 2017

TOP 90 (1st January 2017 to 31th DECEMBER 2017) 

Place 2016     Points
1 ( 1 ) Spain UEFA 1195
2 ( 6 ) England UEFA 1177
3 ( 7 ) Brazil CONMEBOL 1134
4 ( 8 ) Italy UEFA 950,5
5 ( 3 ) France UEFA 938
6 ( 2 ) Colombia CONMEBOL 918
7 ( 5 ) Argentina CONMEBOL 902
8 ( 4 ) Germany UEFA 815
9 ( 17 ) Paraguay CONMEBOL 721,5
10 ( 20 ) Russia UEFA 689,5
11 ( 19 ) Greece UEFA 687
12 ( 26 ) Israel UEFA 670,5
13 ( 16 ) Cyprus UEFA 652,5
14 ( 10 ) Turkey UEFA 650
15 ( 25 ) Denmark UEFA 645
16 ( 14 ) Portugal UEFA 642,5
17 ( 24 ) Ecuador CONMEBOL 640
18 ( 12 ) Austria UEFA 625
19 ( 21 ) Croatia UEFA 623
20 ( 11 ) Mexico CONCACAF 573
21 ( 28 ) Switzerland UEFA 569
22 ( 13 ) Netherlands UEFA 568
23 ( 22 ) Ukraine UEFA 565,5
24 ( 23 ) Tunisia CAF 553
25 ( 27 ) Scotland UEFA 551,5
26 ( 9 ) Belgium UEFA 543
27 ( 15 ) Czech Republic UEFA 533,5
28 ( 18 ) Korea Republic AFC 528,5
29 ( 28 ) Saudi Arabia AFC 526
30 ( 30 ) Roumania UEFA 514,5
31 ( 40 ) Japan AFC 471,5
32 ( 31 ) Egypt CAF 447,5
33 ( 38 ) Bolivia CONMEBOL 439
34 ( 51 ) Bulgaria UEFA 429,5
35 ( 32 ) Poland UEFA 421
36 ( 46 ) Sudan CAF 413,5
37 ( 54 ) Sweden UEFA 406
38 ( 36 ) China AFC 403
  ( 34 ) Serbia UEFA 403
40 ( 64 ) FYR Macedonia UEFA 402
41 ( 44 ) Slovenia UEFA 396
42 ( 50 ) South Africa CAF 391,5
43 ( 48 ) Kazakhstan UEFA 390
44 ( 40 ) Morocco CAF 389,5
45 ( 63 ) Albania UEFA 389
46 ( 56 ) Iran AFC 388
47 ( 40 ) Belarus UEFA 375
48 ( 37 ) Norway UEFA 367
49 ( 43 ) Uruguay CONMEBOL 366
50 ( 33 ) Azerbaijan UEFA 358
  ( 62 ) Northern Ireland UEFA 358
52 ( 75 ) Lithuania UEFA 354,5
  ( 59 ) USA    wtf?? CONCACAF 354,5
54 ( 52 ) Costa Rica CONCACAF 340,5
55 ( 66 ) Algeria CAF 339
56 ( 68 ) Hungary UEFA 331
57 ( 57 ) Slovakia UEFA 328
58 ( 77 ) Thailand AFC 326,5
59 ( 47 ) United Arab Emirates AFC 325
  ( 55 ) Perù CONMEBOL 325
61 ( 53 ) Estonia UEFA 319,5
62 ( 45 ) Congo DR CAF 319
63 ( 69 ) Nigeria CAF 318,5
64 ( 38 ) Republic of Ireland UEFA 313
65 ( 49 ) Chile CONMEBOL 310
66 ( 35 ) Venezuela CONMEBOL 304,5
67 ( 65 ) Moldova UEFA 301
68 ( 67 ) Georgia UEFA 296,5
69 ( 58 ) Finland UEFA 289,5
70 ( 78 ) Uzbekistan AFC 287
71 ( 60 ) Qatar AFC 286
72 ( 70 ) Angola CAF 285
73 ( 76 ) Cameroun CAF 276,5
74 ( 73 ) Australia AFC 274,5
75 ( 61 ) Guatemala CONCACAF 268
76 ( 71 ) Honduras CONCACAF 263
77 ( 72 ) Nicaragua CONCACAF 256
78 ( 81 ) Zambia CAF 240
79 ( 79 ) Iceland UEFA 237,5
80 ( 73 ) Latvia UEFA 229,5
81 ( 80 ) Mali CAF 220,5
82 ( 84 ) Iraq AFC 216,25
83 ( 116 ) Syria AFC 205,75
84 ( 89 ) El Salvador CONCACAF 189
85 ( 105 ) Bosnia and Herzegovina UEFA 186
  ( 105 ) Philippines AFC 186
87 ( 84 ) Malta UEFA 182,25
88 ( 94 ) Montenegro UEFA 175
89 ( 86 ) Congo CAF 173,25

i'm sure if they added the canadian teams to msl

that would bump the ranking to closer to 50  ??

i mean, toronto played in the last 2 final games in msl

:bigblush:

• 5 weeks later...

Good for Alphonso!

Alphonso Davies Signs Bayern Munich Extension Through 2025

Nobody knows what the immediate future looks like for Bayern Munich, the Bundesliga and soccer all over the globe, but the German power took a step toward fortifying its future on Monday.

Bayern signed Canadian star Alphonso Davies to a contract extension through 2025, ensuring the breakout talent remains in Munich for the long haul. His original contract was set to run through 2023. Davies, 19, had been a revelation for Bayern as a fullback despite making his name as an attacking star when coming up through the Vancouver Whitecaps system. His speed and dynamism have been evident–a glance at the highlight reel for Bayern's Champions League last-16 first leg vs. Chelsea reveals a clinic in that regard–and he's begun to realize the immense potential he possessed when Bayern signed him from the Whitecaps in 2018 for a $13.5 million fee that could rise as high as $22 million.

https://www.si.com/soccer/2020/04/20/alphonso-davies-bayern-munich-contract-2025?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=SI Extra 4/20/20&utm_term=SI Extra - USE THIS - List

• 1 month later...

This makes me dislike TFC just a bit less.....

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/sports/soccer/toronto-fc-captain-says-donald-trump-doesn-t-have-a-moral-bone-in-his-body/ar-BB152TvW?li=AAggXBR

Toronto FC captain Michael Bradley pulled no punches Thursday, lamenting the "zero leadership" south of the border as the U.S. is ravaged by racial unrest.

The longtime U.S. skipper took square aim at president Donald Trump.

"We have a president who is completely empty. There isn't a moral bone in his body," Bradley told a media conference call.

"There's no leadership. There's no leadership from the president, there's no leadership from the Republican senators who have sat back and been totally complicit in everything he's done for the last 3 1/2 years."

Bradley urged his fellow Americans to speak with their ballot in November, saying it was "impossible to overstate" the importance of the coming election.

"I just hope that people are able to go to the polls in November and think about more than just what is good for them, more than what is good for their own status, their own business, their own tax return. I hope that people can go to the polls and understand that in so many ways, the future of our country and the future of our democracy is at stake.

"We need as many people as possible to understand that at a real level, to think about what four more years with Trump as president, what that would mean, how terrible that would be for so many people."

Referencing racial inequality and social injustice, Bradley added: "If we want any chance to start to fix those things, then Trump can't be president, it's as simple as that."

The 32-year-old Bradley has run through the gamut of emotions while watching the violence and unrest unfold in the wake of the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis while three police officers restrained him — one with his knee on Floyd's neck.

"I'm angry, I'm horrified, I'm sad and I'm determined to do anything and everything I can to try to be a part of the fix," he said. "Because it has to end. And we all have to be part of that fix."

He acknowledged that while he has much to learn on the issues, politicians, policy-makers and businesses have to be held accountable.

"My man Mike is a as real as they come. Nothing but the truth here," teammate Joze Altidore tweeted.

Bradley has criticized Trump before. In January 2017, he said he was "sad and embarrassed" by Trump's travel ban aimed at citizens of predominantly Muslim countries.

38 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

along the same line as your sentiments

but not really directed at mls

i do not understand the desire of professional leagues

to wish to gravitate their re-openings

to locations where covid-19 control steps have been worse then average

if i was a player in a pro league

i'd seek out the safest jurisdiction in which to re-open

even if that impressed some additional constraints on my league

and i'd prefer that and know that i get to ply my skills

in an environment that has established health protocols by real professionals

who have also have demonstrated they were entirely effective in their field of endeavor

and the results are clearly visible for anyone who chooses to examine what they have done in their jurisdiction

that they knew how to get the virus under control

it often takes a pro to appreciate another pro

i for one

would prefer re-opening my sport in vancouver, bc

to almost anywhere else in north america

Edited by coastal.view

I see the group draw has been made for the "MLS is Back Tournament" set to begin on July 8.

I think this could be semi-interesting.

Details of the tournament format can be found here:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/mls-is-back-tournament/tournament-structure?%243p=e_et&%24original_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.mlssoccer.com%2Fmls-is-back-tournament%2Ftournament-structure&utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimStory1&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20200611_Condensed&_branch_match_id=301427422275695578

image.png

Edited by UnkNuk

The trust of the fans has been broken for several years now and for management to hype up this “world search” and find their guy, only to ditch him 5 months into a 4 year deal is just comedic. The FO is still the same $€!+show with Rachel Lewis, Greg Anderson and Bobby Lenarduzzi who have been here from day one. Until this franchise is uprooted completely with the names above are gone.Also I find it interesting that it’s Mallet that always is the one doing the PR when it’s Greg Kerfoot that is majority owner and seems to be the one who Rachel,Greg and Bob all follow like lapdogs. 

By the looks of it, the Whitecaps will go the way of the Grizzlies and either move or fold a la Chivas FC by the time 2025 rolls around. Such a pity as Vancouver is a soccer city but with the reputation that the whitecaps have right now, very few things will save this franchise. Winning will help but you need to have willing owners for that to happen. Just another avenue of trust that this team has failed to deem confidence to its fan base. What bottom will this team hit next? I see Axel resigning or being fired after this campaign is over. 

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

The trust of the fans has been broken for several years now and for management to hype up this “world search” and find their guy, only to ditch him 5 months into a 4 year deal is just comedic. The FO is still the same $€!+show with Rachel Lewis, Greg Anderson and Bobby Lenarduzzi who have been here from day one. Until this franchise is uprooted completely with the names above are gone.Also I find it interesting that it’s Mallet that always is the one doing the PR when it’s Greg Kerfoot that is majority owner and seems to be the one who Rachel,Greg and Bob all follow like lapdogs. 

By the looks of it, the Whitecaps will go the way of the Grizzlies and either move or fold a la Chivas FC by the time 2025 rolls around. Such a pity as Vancouver is a soccer city but with the reputation that the whitecaps have right now, very few things will save this franchise. Winning will help but you need to have willing owners for that to happen. Just another avenue of trust that this team has failed to deem confidence to its fan base. What bottom will this team hit next? I see Axel resigning or being fired after this campaign is over. 

It's definitely a weird move.   From a financial point of view, given that Pannes was signed to a four year contract, the Caps will have to pay a substantial buy-out.

You gotta figure there's something going on here we're not being told about.

Article about this from the Province:

https://theprovince.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/the-whitecaps-tale-of-whoa-continues-with-dismissal-of-ceo-mark-pannes

• Thanks 1

On 6/16/2020 at 12:44 PM, Chicken. said:

Might be the wrong thread but he's still alumni and the only thing good to come out of the Caps in recent years haha

What a legend this kid is becoming. He got voted Bayern player of the month too

One would think this would be a very sore spot and hard to say but thankfully the WC let him move on. His career would have gone down the drain playing for our disaster of a franchise. 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, gurn said:

By "let him move on" you meant  sold him to the highest bidder, don't you?

And screwing him out of money in the process:

But when it came down to the final negotiations, the Whitecaps got greedy and almost threw a wrench into the works.

Bayern had negotiated a transfer fee of €11.3 million with the Whitecaps, and only the final personal terms needed to be worked out with Davies. By the rules of the MLS CBA, 10% of the transfer fee of any player being transferred outside the league is to be given to the player. At the final negotiation session in Vancouver, with all parties present, the Whitecaps refused to complete the deal unless Davies agreed to waive his part of the fee. The negotiations broke down and the session ended for the day.

The next day Hasan Salihamidžić and head of recruitment Marco Neppe returned having put together a new package with increased payments that would make Davies whole for the amount that the Whitecaps were effectively extorting from him.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

29 minutes ago, gurn said:

By "let him move on" you meant  sold him to the highest bidder, don't you?

Pretty much yep... Only to watch the caps not reinvest the money in the team as they said they would... 

20 minutes ago, StealthNuck said:

And screwing him out of money in the process:

It’s pretty much screw everyone with this franchise, including the fan base.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

On 6/17/2020 at 12:13 PM, EP Phone Home said:

Totally agree on the FO thing. If you look at the players who have all wanted out, it's pretty telling.

Kenny Miller, Camillo, Waston.....at some point you have to realize that it isn't the players who are the problem.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, RUPERTKBD said:

Totally agree on the FO thing. If you look at the players who have all wanted out, it's pretty telling.

Kenny Miller, Camillo, Waston.....at some point you have to realize that it isn't the players who are the problem.

The sad part is that when you look back at say 2014, you'd assume that the Caps could easily be a regular contender in the MLS.  

An elite playmaking MF in Pedro Morales, Waston as that stalwart defender and net front presense, Rosales as the experienced MF, Ousted arriving on the scene as one of the top MLS GK, a physical defense-first MF in Laba, a number of young strikers that seemingly were on the peak of turning into elite goalscorers in Mattocks/Hurtado/Manneh, a bunch of strong supporting players plus a manager with name recognition.... to where the Whitecaps ended up these last few years..... <_<

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

where the hell is steve nash???

yeah the part owner steve nash

i raised his name previously about the handling of the women's issues

and now again nothing

mr. nash this is hurting your brand

or if it is not .. .. it really should

your silence is not acceptable

please explain what the hell is going on with the caps?
or have they stuffed your mouth too full with paper money ?