The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

It's a race: Cody Hodgson vs Zach Kassian

Cody will likely finish with more points, it won't be a major difference though, and Zack will have alot of other things. (Fights, Hits) That will make up for it.

Now moving away from Cody for a second.

The thing with Zack is, if he is this good this season, I can't wait to see what he will be like next year.

I hate the idea of comparing Hodgson to Kassian, as they are different players. I also hate the idea that you have to be on team CoHo or team Kassian. This isn't god damn Twilight. I like both players. So what?

For the sake of the argument that Kassian benefits from the Sedins (i.e. King ES), consider the following:

Goals/Assists that Hodgson has been in on that have not included one of Pominville or Vanek: 0/9

Goals/Assists that Hodgson has been in on that have not included Vanek: 1/9

Goals/Assists that Kassian has been in on that have not included one of the Sedins: 3/6

50% of Kassian's points haven't been the result of contributions from the Sedins. On the other hand, none of Hodgson's points involved neither Vanek nor Pominville. In fact, for only one of Hodgson's points was Vanek alone not directly involved.

My conclusion: both are great players, for different reasons. But, if you want to claim that Kassian has the advantage because he plays with the Sedins, just look at the stats. Hodgson is more likely to benefit from the play of Vanek and Pominville than Kassian is to benefit from the Sedins.

I still question Kass's stamina. This is a heavy schedule to play 1st/2nd line minutes at 22 years of age and with Kass's big frame. It will be interesting to see if Kass get's the same amount of "protection" that Cody got when the team is all fit.

What people still fail to understand is that they are BOTH good players in their own respect.

Don't be bitter that the Canucks traded Hodgson, he wasn't a good fit here, but Kassian is.

Both teams got the type of player they needed.

This is the epitome of a good hockey trade. Both players are putting up numbers and contributing to their teams. Why everyone feels the need to have a clear winner in a trade I'll never understand.

And the disparaging of Hodgson is crazy. I'm a Sabres fan as well and have been for a very long time. Live about an hour from First Niagara and have been going to watch the Sabres for years. Hodgson is good. He created that third goal that got the Sabres back into the game against the Sens last night and then near tied it with seconds left. He worked it at the point and won the puck battle. Ended up with it behind the net and banked it off of Pominville charging hard to the net. Although I guess according to many of you Pominville gets no credit because it bounced off his stick, shin pad, skate before going in.

Kassian has been great and Hodgson is the number one centre on the most productive line in hockey. Good trade and both are and will likely be good players. And Hodgson, like Kassian, has improved a lot over last year. He isn't going away. The difference between him and Derek Roy is wide. I feel so much better watching that first line now.

And the Sabres are losing because Myers and Leopold are beyond awful and last night they were missing half of their top 6 D and by far their two best defenders in Ehrhoff and Sekera. If Myers could channel his play from his rookie season all would be good.

Archived