The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tanev will he stay a Vancouver Canuck?

Outsiders

Sign Tanev on a long term contract. It isn't often you come across a hometown guy with the incredibly high hockey IQ that Chris Tanev possesses, not to mention how calm he is in high pressure situations (playoff performer, anyone?). I can definitely see Tanev becoming an assistant captain, if not our captain, when the Sedin era is over.

I wouldn't give him more than 2m. He's pretty bad, fail passes, tiny body, average speed. Honestly I must be watching a totally different game cuz i think hes terrible w/o ballard bailing him out on every play

Yes he will because, unlike the rest of the Canucks' defensemen, he'll come cheap and he'll always be somewhat cheap, barring some totally unforseen offensive outburst. Steady defensemen like Tanev that don't really produce a lot of offense are such valuable commodities because you're not having to pay for the offense and yet you're still getting a great player.

Willie Mitchell and Rob Scuderi are some of the better defensive defensemen in the league and they make $3.5M and $3.4M respectively.

Archived