#1 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:15 PM

Darren Dreger@DarrenDreger4m
CAA Sports, one of the world's top agencies has added another star hky client. Roberto Luongo is now represented by Pat Brisson & JP Barry.

This isn't good news folks.

Edited by MJDDawg, 24 July 2013 - 10:16 PM.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#2 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:17 PM

Why not?

His old agent is the reason he got that mess of a contract in the first place.

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#3 Baercheese

Baercheese

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,734 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

POPULAR

Why not?

His old agent is the reason he got that mess of a contract in the first place.

damn him for getting his client a life assuring contract which was offered by the GM.....

3499h5x.jpg
Johnny Gaudreau>any Casucks

Edler, Markstrom, Hansen, 2nd round pick 2014 to Islanders for Ryan Strome, 5th overall pick 2014

This is fairly even as well.

#4 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:19 PM

Quick, analysts, please tell me what this means because I have no idea :frantic:

"Education is the inoculator for ignorance."

#5 Heretic

Heretic

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,534 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

damn him for getting his client a life assuring contract which was offered by the GM.....

or forced on the GM - sign him this long or we go elsewhere....

McCoy: We were speculating. Is God really out there?
Kirk: Maybe he's not out there, Bones. Maybe he's right here. [points to his heart]

Posted Image

#6 King Heffy

King Heffy

Canucks Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,120 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

CAA Sports, one of the world's top agencies has added another star hky client. Roberto Luongo is now represented by Pat Brisson & JP Barry.

Isn't Barry the guy who represents Daddy's boy?

CMc20QE.gif

Put Gino in the ROH

#7 MJDDawg

MJDDawg

Canucks Third-Line

• Members
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Quick, analysts, please tell me what this means because I have no idea :frantic:

See post above yours.

His long time agent was responsible for getting him this supposed mess of a $64 Million dollar contract. Now after a month of no news on the Roberto front, we learn he has dumped his agent and gone to high profile Barry and Brisson.

Does this indicate that Lui is in the right mindset to come back? Doesn't look like it to me.

1zchaix.jpg

Always vigilant and on the lookout for Tiger Singh,The Stork, Shamu101, Mangoes, Cucumbers, Proballhockeyplayer, Dal Colle, DontTradeEdler, RespectYourEdlers23, D.T.E. and...

#8 The Brahma Bull

The Brahma Bull

Canucks All-Star

• Members
  • 17,224 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:23 PM

JP Barry is such a dbag.

#9 Primal Optimist

Primal Optimist

Canucks Franchise Player

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,855 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

JP is not bad, I think he and gillis have an okay working relationship when they need to.

1286820874m_THUMB.jpg
CDC GM League small.png General Manager

Happy Hockey Fan!!!

#10 canuckbeliever

canuckbeliever

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,927 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

See post above yours.

His long time agent was responsible for getting him this supposed mess of a $64 Million dollar contract. Now after a month of no news on the Roberto front, we learn he has dumped his agent and gone to high profile Barry and Brisson.

Does this indicate that Lui is in the right mindset to come back? Doesn't look like it to me.

Bingo you are not changing agents if your happy with your essentially rest of the NHL lifetime contract

#11 khay

khay

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:27 PM

POPULAR

I'm sick and tired of the debate over whether Luongo has the right mindset to comeback or whatever. I have respected Luongo all along and never blamed him for the cup loss, I know it wasn't his fault. I still think he can get us 40 wins for the next five years but if he really doesn't want to play for us, then fine. If the reason for changing the agent was to have the agent find a trade deal to get him out of Van, then that's fine go ahead. I don't want a player who is not dedicated to playing for us.

#12 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 33,256 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:30 PM

Gilles Lupien just lost his biggest client. He deals mainly with Quebecers.

We can only speculate as to why Luongo made the switch. Probably trade-related promises were made and broken? Certainly Luongo can't complain about the money.

JP Barry represents the Sedins, represented Naslund, Bertuzzi, Sundin, Alfredsson and tons of other players. Do his star clients have a tendency to leave Canadian teams? Coincidence, i'm sure.
Posted Image

#13 Mike Vanderhoek

Mike Vanderhoek

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:31 PM

I'm sick and tired of the debate over whether Luongo has the right mindset to comeback or whatever. I have respected Luongo all along and never blamed him for the cup loss, I know it wasn't his fault. I still think he can get us 40 wins for the next five years but if he really doesn't want to play for us, then fine. If the reason for changing the agent was to have the agent find a trade deal to get him out of Van, then that's fine go ahead. I don't want a player who is not dedicated to playing for us.

I do agree,

The player signed the contract, shut up and play, if you don't ant to play in Vancouver than you have very limite doptions as to what to do now don't you ?

I don't see a trade being an option, nor a buyout. Get over it already lol.
Posted Image

#14 TOMapleLaughs

TOMapleLaughs

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 33,256 posts

Ritch Winter.
Posted Image

#15 AriGold

AriGold

Hairy Old

• Members
  • 3,810 posts

Luongo changing agents when he has no more hockey contracts to sign confuses me. Maybe he is going to get them to negotiate him out of Vancouver ?

Only scenario I can think of.

mr-selfridge-jeremy-piven-interview-slic

#16 Frazzy Desjardins

Frazzy Desjardins

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 787 posts

POPULAR

Lol mountain out of a molehill.

None of you know what goes on behind the scenes... For all u know his old agent retired, or theres a personal problem completely unrelated to the Canucks or the last couple years.

Lu will be back better than ever, tired of reading these pathetic comments and negative posts.

#17 khay

khay

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:33 PM

I think the agents serve certain important functions for the players. One is obviously to negotiate a contract. Second is to be the liaison between the team's management and the player on behalf of the player of course.

Since Luongo is signed to a 12 year contract, the agent obviously does not serve to negotiate a new contract unless he is bought out. So the main purpose for changing the agent would be to serve as a liaison between the team and the player.

Clearly, when Luongo found out that he won't be dealt, he was seeking advice from his former agent, who probably said that there is nothing you can do and you just have to play. This probably didn't seat well with Luongo so he is changing the agent. I guess another remote possibility is that he wants to find an agent who is influential enough to play a hand in coming up with a deal (trade)? Maybe?

#18 BananaMash

BananaMash

xX_qUiCkScOpEz_Xx

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,476 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:34 PM

If it has anything to do with him trying to get out of Vancouver still, he just needs to put on his big boy pants and play. That being said, there could be so many reasons why he switched agents that we can't really accurately speculate.

wZEgqzy.png

#19 onesmallleap

onesmallleap

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts

just trade Lugongo and Edler to Montreal for Price and a pick , take the cap space and move on .... Eriksson better be the real deal if Lugongo no-shows

#20 elvis15

elvis15

Canucks Hall-of-Famer

• Members
  • 22,197 posts

If you mean Hodgson, then no. That's Rich Winter currently, although Hodgson had two agents prior to Winter.

Likely just a move to get away from the agent that negotiated the old contract (considering what it's done for him since). As has been noted, the new agent will be a liaison with the team for Luongo in the event of future trade talks or contract details, but isn't indicative of him forcing a trade.

As before, we have to wait on Luongo to have his say to know what implications - if any - there are from him coming back in place of Schneider.

Edited by elvis15, 24 July 2013 - 12:39 PM.

c3c9e9.pnganimalhousesig.jpg

Tanev is going to EDM. I can put my life savings down on it

#21 chrisbanks

chrisbanks

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,479 posts

he already has a contract that will go to the end of his career .... only reason i could see getting a new agent at this point is having him try to get out of said contract.....

#22 pdc

pdc

Comets Regular

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:35 PM

That's strange, correct me if I'm wrong but his new agent won't get any of the money from this contract. His current contract will take him to retirement so why CAA sports take him on?

Unless this move is purely over new endorsement deals, which I don't really pay attention to so I don't know how lucrative those can be for agencies. It must be because that is the only thing that makes sense to me

#23 BCNeil

BCNeil

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 816 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:36 PM

Pretty strange. I'd imagine after you already have such a long contract, that an agent is no longer that important after the fact.

#24 Darth Kane

Darth Kane

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm not sure what Luongo hopes to get by doing this. His contract is set for the rest of his career and the Canucks made it clear he's their goalie of the future. If Luo could have been traded I'm sure he would have, so it's not like a new agent will be able to pressure Gillis to make a trade.

#25 jejejester

jejejester

Canucks Prospect

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:39 PM

Anyone wonder if lou does this just troll CDC and come on here and see everyone freak out. While he sits back in Florida and enjoy a summer with his wife and kids and gets ready for another hockey season.

Common guys hockey players will play on broken bones and holes in their lings... ect. some hurt feelings won't stop a hockey player.

Maybe it's possible that lou felt that the fans and media wanted him gone after 2011 so he wanted to give them what they wanted juts like he wanted to bring home the Stanley Cup here. And mow that he's the guy he will do his best to get this city a cup

#26 apollo

apollo

Canucks First-Line

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,174 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:42 PM

Ok... u guys know ill support lui no matter what. But wtf is this bull?

The agent got him the contract and his commission should be paid until the end. Pretty classless imo to fire a guy that got him paid big bucks.

Unless there's something we're not being told, this isn't right.

2cz94w5.jpg

The NHL is a fixed old boys club. I've come to acceptance with that and just watch for entertainment. The 2011 & 2012 Canucks are champs in my books. Go Canucks Go!

#27 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

I think the agents serve certain important functions for the players. One is obviously to negotiate a contract. Second is to be the liaison between the team's management and the player on behalf of the player of course.

Since Luongo is signed to a 12 year contract, the agent obviously does not serve to negotiate a new contract unless he is bought out. So the main purpose for changing the agent would be to serve as a liaison between the team and the player.

Clearly, when Luongo found out that he won't be dealt, he was seeking advice from his former agent, who probably said that there is nothing you can do and you just have to play. This probably didn't seat well with Luongo so he is changing the agent. I guess another remote possibility is that he wants to find an agent who is influential enough to play a hand in coming up with a deal (trade)? Maybe?

- There have been reports saying that (even after Lou talked with Gillis) that Lou is still unhappy. Maybe it was his old agent leaking false information?

This situation is so bizarre. While reports are being spread that Lou is still unhappy, GMMG continues to say that Lou seems fine. MG sure makes it sound like Lou will return. Maybe MG is saying that stuff to pressure Lou into staying when, in reality, Lou has been telling him he wants out? Drama!!

Maybe it means nothing at all :P

#28 Duda

Duda

Comets Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 508 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:43 PM

Barry is a very prominent agent for many star clients. Wondering if another factor is helping Lu deal with the mess/media/team in Vancouver in his desired manner, now that's he's coming back, as well as re-shaping his public image for other endorsement deals or whatnot. Luongo knows his comments are emotional and get blown out of proportion at times and may want to consult with someone who has more expertise? And someone who has other ties to the Canucks org/mgmt?

Or... maybe he wants to find a way to retire for a year then make a come back.

#29 poetica

poetica

Canucks Second-Line

• Members
  • 4,584 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:51 PM

Maybe he just wants an agent he feels can do a better job helping him deal with the media here. No reason whatsoever to assume anything worse unless we hear something concrete from a reputable source.

The sky is not falling, Chicken Littles!
Go, Canucks, Go!
Every single one of them.

Thanks for the memories, Luo! :'(

#30 Jester13

Jester13

Canucks Rookie

• Members
  • 1,897 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:53 PM

I keep coming back to this thought with Lou: is he really that upset with how everything panned out that he would frack his teammates and fans over?

Edited by Templeton Peck, 24 July 2013 - 03:16 PM.
Censor bypass

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Canucks.com is the official Web site of The Vancouver Canucks. The Vancouver Canucks and Canucks.com are trademarks of The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership.  NHL and the word mark and image of the Stanley Cup are registered trademarks and the NHL Shield and NHL Conference logos are trademarks of the National Hockey League. All NHL logos and marks and NHL team logos and marks as well as all other proprietary materials depicted herein are the property of the NHL and the respective NHL teams and may not be reproduced without the prior written consent of NHL Enterprises, L.P.  Copyright © 2009 The Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership and the National Hockey League.  All Rights Reserved.