The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Should we re-sign Mike Santorelli?

Junkyard Dog

456 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I was not aware Santorelli was simply signed to play in Utica only. Where did you get that?

If the Canuck talent scouts are not better than that, I can easily see why Vancouver has not won a cup. If that is the case then management better have a better look an Stan Smyl and appraise his talents.

I do not think Santorelli was simply signed to fill a spot in Utica. That is simply gossip.

I agree. He wasn't signed to simply play in Utica.

He also wasn't signed and given a roster spot.

It's really not that predictable exactly how effective a player will prove to be - so I think it's also wrong to assume that scouts are incompetent if they didn't expect/predict the results of this signing. But if they'd seen what he was capable in the past in Florida and knew the kind of condition he was in, it's not hard to see why they'd be willing to take a chance on him, particularly in a very competitive market where players on the margin were having to take significant pay cuts with the hopes of proving themselves once again.

The only report on the matter that actually references sources is one where Ian MacIntyre claims that the agreement Gillis and Santorelli's agent reached was that he'd get a fighting chance to command a spot on the roster. Santorelli obviously took full advantage and showed up in tremendous condition, to go with the skill set he had displayed in the past before being lost in a wave of marquis young centers in Florida. People can make assumptions that a two way deal indicates he was on his way to Utica, but that's an assumption, and imo, therefore wrong - because I absolutely doubt that a GM makes an assumption like that. I'd be willing to bet that Gillis was far more realistic - as in, they'll wait to see what happens, and weren't assuming Santorelli would be either place. Santorelli may not have been concerned about a two way deal, feeling confident he could come in and take a spot - and regardless, many players were in similar positions of having to re-establish themselves. Obviously he did just that.

I was not aware Santorelli was simply signed to play in Utica only. Where did you get that?

If the Canuck talent scouts are not better than that, I can easily see why Vancouver has not won a cup. If that is the case then management better have a better look an Stan Smyl and appraise his talents.

I do not think Santorelli was simply signed to fill a spot in Utica. That is simply gossip.

Ummm... both Gillis and Tororella have said so outright in interviews. Torts even said it this week again.

I've been avoiding these kinda topics (amongst others) for as long as possible. The simple reason is that all & everything is being overhyped or brutally offended here, depending on an outcome of one single game.

These questions are a quality example of that. It's been way too early. And might still be.

Now I felt the time was right for me to join in as well.

The reason I write is not to bash the OP, but because now I'm actually starting to feel it makes a whole lot of sense to do so. We're in no hurry to make that call yet. But it seems obvious we should hang on to him.

Dollars is the biggest tripping stone in my mind on this one, as his play has been exceptional and there is no denying that. He's been playing great.

But one good or great ear should not have us 'overpaying' him. So I sincerely hope we find a middle ground on that one, a la Higgins & Burrows before the latest deal.

Hopefully we can find a fit for him and 1-2 of our top prospects on the roster next fall. Then I'll be happy.

Out.

No, unless it's for peanuts again.

We've gotta leave spots open for guys like Horvat, Gaunce, or Shinkaruk.

Signing third liners when we've already got an abundance of them makes no sense. We need all the cap space we can get for upgrading the top 6.

Well even at 2M a season he is a better buy than Booth at 4.5M..Not to mention others..

How is there 21 NO votes? :picard:

Because of two reasons:

#1. It is a crappy poll because there needs to be another couple of choices... like "Depends on the price" and "We should wait longer than 20 games to decide"

#2. the poll was created a couple of weeks ago before the Higgins/Kesler/Santorelli line really caught fire.

A lot of responses have been of the variety of us needing a bigger sample size to know how to value him. There is some risk either way. If he keeps us this pace all season, then he is going to cost upwards of $3 million per year... or if you sign him now for more reasonable dollars, then he could go all Mason Raymond on us and we are stuck with an incredibly inconsistent scoring forward who we have committed too much money and term to.

I would say as of today, a good plan would be to sign him to a 2-3 year at between $1.5 and $2.25 million... you have managed the downside and upside risks at that value. He gets some security playing for his hometown team and is on a winning team in a good position.

Remember, 3 months ago this guy's NHL career was pretty much over... no one wanted him and we signed him to a two-way minimum wage contract. He was waived twice last year with no takers. If we re-sign him early, that will still loom pretty large in his mind and he could leave dollars on the table in return for a multi-year contract.

If he wants to cash in and he scores 50 points this season, considering the rapidly rising salary cap and the need for many teams to spend like drunken sailors just to reach the cap floor... I would expect him to get a $4.5 or higher contract offer from someone.

Because of two reasons:

#1. It is a crappy poll because there needs to be another couple of choices... like "Depends on the price" and "We should wait longer than 20 games to decide"

#2. the poll was created a couple of weeks ago before the Higgins/Kesler/Santorelli line really caught fire.

A lot of responses have been of the variety of us needing a bigger sample size to know how to value him. There is some risk either way. If he keeps us this pace all season, then he is going to cost upwards of $3 million per year... or if you sign him now for more reasonable dollars, then he could go all Mason Raymond on us and we are stuck with an incredibly inconsistent scoring forward who we have committed too much money and term to.

I would say as of today, a good plan would be to sign him to a 2-3 year at between $1.5 and $2.25 million... you have managed the downside and upside risks at that value. He gets some security playing for his hometown team and is on a winning team in a good position.

Remember, 3 months ago this guy's NHL career was pretty much over... no one wanted him and we signed him to a two-way minimum wage contract. He was waived twice last year with no takers. If we re-sign him early, that will still loom pretty large in his mind and he could leave dollars on the table in return for a multi-year contract.

If he wants to cash in and he scores 50 points this season, considering the rapidly rising salary cap and the need for many teams to spend like drunken sailors just to reach the cap floor... I would expect him to get a $4.5 or higher contract offer from someone.

Nicely put. Pretty much sums it up right there. But that 4.5M is a bit too much for him, even Snow, MacT and & Holmgren acknowledge that.

Because of two reasons:

You don't like my poll :(

Because of two reasons:

Difference between him and Hogdson is 1. That hometown discount..

Santorelli WANTS to play here, he knew his career in the NHL was about to end so he obviously stepped his game up to where it should be and it was the Canucks that gave him a chance. He's young, the loyalty will be there. I expect Santorelli to be with the Canucks for 3-4 years minimum if he keeps this up.

Flash-forward 4 years

Shinkaruk Horvat Kassian

Cassels Kesler Santorelli

Higgins Gaunce Hansen

______ _____ Archibald

Archived