The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Dane Fox | LW/C

Go Go Canucks Go

Love the goal highlights. Watch carefully...it is his shot that makes Fox deadly. Listen to the commentators in the highlights and they comment numerous times about how deadly and accurate his shot is and quote Gaunce saying the same. That is why he has over 40 goals already. Like the PP highlights that show him unleash that one timer...and he can even score on breakaways. Heck, Canucks could use him now on the PP with that shot on the PP and in the shootout with how anemic those two parts of the game are for the Nucks, ha. This guy reminds me of Brett Hull - massive deadly accurate one timer but wasn't the best skater in the world...got Hull a few points in the NHL. Some guys like Hull naturally have an ability to shoot that deadly accurate one timer and it looks like Fox has that natural ability. This is a no brainer signing after watching these goals. Can't believe this guy was left unsigned.

Yeah, that shot is something. That alone is going to get him into the NHL. We could really, really use this kind of finishing to cash in on how well we drive play. If we're lucky, Fox and Shinkaruk can give us that in a few years.

Love the goal highlights. Watch carefully...it is his shot that makes Fox deadly. Listen to the commentators in the highlights and they comment numerous times about how deadly and accurate his shot is and quote Gaunce saying the same. That is why he has over 40 goals already. Like the PP highlights that show him unleash that one timer...and he can even score on breakaways. Heck, Canucks could use him now on the PP with that shot on the PP and in the shootout with how anemic those two parts of the game are for the Nucks, ha. This guy reminds me of Brett Hull - massive deadly accurate one timer but wasn't the best skater in the world...got Hull a few points in the NHL. Some guys like Hull naturally have an ability to shoot that deadly accurate one timer and it looks like Fox has that natural ability. This is a no brainer signing after watching these goals. Can't believe this guy was left unsigned.

totally agree but i thought it was funny.. you don't have to watch carefully at all to see how good his shot is!

Greg Adams, Geoff Courtnall, Jason Garrison, Sergei Bobrovsky, Jonas Hiller, Nick Backstrom, Joel Ward, Rich Peverly, Teddy Purcell, Matt Read, Andy Greene, Victor Fasth, Rene Bourque, Tyler Bozak, Cam Talbot, Pascal Dupuis, Mark Giordano, Ben Scrivens, Chris Kunitz, Marty St Louis, Derpid Clarkson, Dan Boyle, Dustin Penner, Dan Girardi, Antti Niemi, CuJo, Curtis Glencross, Josh Gorges, David Desharnais, Sean Avery

Yeah I was talking more about this year's un-drafted forwards who are making an impact.

I've looked at some fight vids of him and he is a pretty decent fighter. The majority of the fights he has had, he punches up meaning he fights players who are often bigger than him. For me that is tenacity and fearlessness. Very few fighters punch up their weight class.

Dane Fox really reminds of the hard nose play, grit and fearlessness of Brandon Prust but with good hands and a nose for the net. He knows when to mix it up and bring some energy. He is a welcomed asset to this team. I was just thinking lately that this prospect pool lacks some intensity and grit. Outside of Lain, Mallet, Friesen and Archibald, there isn't a whole lot of gritty forwards in the system.

also, i love how he's 6'0" and he's got "decent size" but Cody was lambasted for being a "shrimp" at 6'0". make up your mind CDC.

All kidding aside, I think it's a great signing, risk free, and he's having a hell of a season.

Rick Rypien wasn't tall but he was big if you get my drift. You can have a big 6' and a small 6' size can't be taken literally it's the sum of other factors

Rick Rypien wasn't tall but he was big if you get my drift. You can have a big 6' and a small 6' size can't be taken literally it's the sum of other factors

this is very true. Saw a short interview of fox on YouTube, kid looks like he has tennis balls for traps

After watching the video of his 2013 goals: He is always open, finding the open ice. When he get's the puck, he finds the net.

It might not translate to goal success at the NHL level, but the IQ to find open ice is a pretty special talent. Will be fun to see what he does in the future, as he looks to be a nice potential to play with talented players.

If Gaunce spends next year in the A (which I imagine he will), it could be beneficial to play alongside someone he has chemistry with and potentially grow together. If not, it can only help Gaunce's game moving forward. All positive things here!

wow.. watching his goals... that guy is not holding a hockey stick.. he's holding a damn rifle!

Haven't seen one of our prospect that can shoot the puck with that little wind up and that power and speed. Almost all of his goals are going to the Top corner too.

Esp since we got him without even using a pick, hopefully this signing will give us a player with some good offense in the future!

Worst come to worst, we can terminate his contract just like Hamill and Polasek right? Although I do hope he can pan out.

Always good to get a player with good potential for nothing.

Worst case scenario, he should add depth to Utica's roster and who knows, he might turn into something special if his game can translate at the NHL level. He's definitely got a pro shot and a knack for getting open in the high slot, his positioning and net presence is reminiscent of a Brett Hull/Phil Esposito type of game.

Speaking of which, here's the video for all to see:

Made on Dec 29th, so it's pretty current.

One very notable thing stood out from this highlight package for me.

He doesn't score many garbage goals. I know there has been talk of him being an overager and that he pushes younger defenders around etc. I don't see that. What I see is a guy who gets open and wires a puck into the net. He can raise a backhand shot, he can roof it and he can snipe it.

This has nothing to do with him being an over age player and everything with him being able to score goals instead as he isn't muscling people but sniping goals.

Something worth noting I guess

Archived