The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

How would you like the Canucks to be built? Hawks or Bruins/LA/Blues

unknown33429

186 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Focus on the team speed, Transition game, and puck possession. Add on role players (Bollig, Bolland) (Chicago style).

We had that style before the Bruins series. But since that Gillis was more focused on acquiring big players and changing the whole team completely. Thank god he's gone.

I would say the Sharks minus the choking.

They have built a very solid team mixed with size and skill, and have been a stable playoff team for the last 10 years. Their lack of success comes from leadership, and not how the team is built IMO.

Strength down the middle is how the Canucks need to build.

The Linden Way.

Depth, Speed, Skill, Grit, Size, and able to roll 4 lines and each line be a threat to score. With a well rounded defence that can shut down the trickiest of offence threats, and timely and clutch goaltending to get us the wins.

Balance.

In short we did it OUR way.

It`s not surprising that Linden is targeting the Bruins, Sharks, and Penguins assistants.

These teams have the longest streaks for consecutive playoff appearences behind the Red Wings.

It`s clear that management and ownership is looking for this kind of long term stability, rather than having to go through a rebuild every 5 years.

Canucks fans are delusional if you think we have the personnel for chicago.

The sedins are some of the slowest players in the league.

Nobody said we had the personal of Chicago, its the style they play that most people like. The Sedins had an abnormal year due to injuries and piss poor game management by the former coatch.

Not really a fan of modeling after a team but if we have to, it would be the Red Wings in their prime. Gillis chasing after models was what cost him his job. It looked like he was losing direction. How can we be the Blackhawks or the Bruins with the Sedins? Build around the guys we have and give them a system they're comfortable with

Blatantly patterning this team after another active team is downright embarrassing.

Linden should be focused on building a Vancouver model. If Benning ends up being the new GM, there will be obvious correlations to Boston, but the Bruins already exist.

Whatever type of team shakes out this October needs to play a focused, unified, and driven game. The remaining core should be put on notice by management that every young player coming into the team is vying for a spot that could be theirs.

That includes the captaincy. Every player had a horrible year regardless of who was behind the bench

Boston can play the game any way you like. They aren't just a roster full of knuckle-dragging goons but, rather, the perfect mix of size, skill, and two-way ability.

This team needs balance. And, unless you plan on drafting Kane and Toews, you're going to need size, to compete in today's Western Conference and, more specifically, the Pacific Division.

Personally, Chicago. It's a much more exciting game overall and the size/toughness thing can be offset by guys who keep the puck away and can't be caught/kept up with. Plus, the other model takes a toll on players and injuries are a given. I think Boston pulls other teams off their game and invites them into theirs...we got caught up with that (and so did Detroit). But teams that manage to not buy in to the goonery can skate circles around them at times.

This. There's no doubt Chicago is the best team in hockey over the last several years, and the most exciting. Incredible skill paired with size at cruicial positions.

how about a hybrid between the 2? Lots of speed and skill in the top 6 along with some size. Bottom 6 is where you want you're meat and potatoes players that shutdown the opposition and provide lots of toughness and intimidation especially on the 4th line. So maybe Anaheim?

I personally HATE seeing our players get beaten up so if I had to choose between the 2 I'd favour more the Boston model. With that said, I know full well that Boston will always get away with so much more than us.

Just like a coach has to adapt his style to the players on the roster the Vcr future ala Linden has to take into account the prospects he has in the current system...are we closer to the Bruins with our prospects or the Hawks. I agree there has to be an end game or a target but are the prospects we have ( those that we think will graduate to the NHL ) best suited to.....?

I think it's a bit of a myth that it's one or the other. Certainly Linden seems to want a 4 line roster...but the 4th line is noting going to star players...lucky if we get 2 quality lines. But the rest have to be competant and serve a purpose.

Do we have fast or big prospects ?

LA is a big team but they have skilled guys who can skate too like Carter, Richards, Williams, Brown, Toffoli, Doughty, Voynov, etc.

What makes LA a 'big' team is the heavy game they play along the boards. I think VAN is already somewhere along the lines of LA.

I think there really needs to be a balance of guys with different skill sets. I like Chicago's game because they've got great speed up front and tough, mobile defencemen who move the puck well. Overall, speed and skill are king along with tough/gritty guys willing to go to the net and create traffic in front mixed in and a solid back end with aggressive defencemen. Also in the playoffs, having good hitters is key to wearing down the other teams. Good penalty killers/4th liners. Both Boston and Chicago have mastered the art of rolling 4 solid lines. This is also a big factor. Being a multi-faceted team with guys who can step up every night when others on the team are having an off night. The size thing isn't quite as imperative but is nice to have as well.

You have to surround your superstars with those guys that are ranked in the first round because of their size ,speed two way play and heart but fall because they don't score as many points as some others.You win playoffs with those guys .

Personally, Chicago. It's a much more exciting game overall and the size/toughness thing can be offset by guys who keep the puck away and can't be caught/kept up with. Plus, the other model takes a toll on players and injuries are a given. I think Boston pulls other teams off their game and invites them into theirs...we got caught up with that (and so did Detroit). But teams that manage to not buy in to the goonery can skate circles around them at times.

Well said Deb +1

The thing with Boston is that their reputation as a 'big' team is over rated. They are actually almost the exact same size as we are. They play with a lot of speed and finesse as well.

The biggest team is the Kings and they are tough to play against. They do have some high end talent and added even more with Gaborik. For my money, I would rather win/lose 6-5 games then win /lose 2-1 games. I find the kings to be boring.

I think in the new NHL the ideal setup is to build a core over two or three drafts.Then after the elc get close if they are good try and lock the whole core to a long term 3.5 contract.At that time it would be a huge payday and security but they wouldn't necessarily have earned it yet.then when they are in their prime you have money to go for it.

Archived