The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Two weeks later after Yak got off to a hot start you blew prematurely and replied a comment of mine that you already replied to.

Clearly that was you attempting a rhetorical question. but since then Teravainen has 19 points in 19 games and nail is at 9 points in 19 games.   Now you play dumb and pretend discussion was never about comparison of the two players. Give it up, you're making a fool out of yourself, maybe this will teach you not to jump to a conclusion about player development after playing 6 games.  Now enough with this discussion, if you want to continue this charade of being deliberately obtuse you can PM, but this is the Jake Virtanen thread, try to stay on topic.

You're looking at two completely different data sets, before and during this season.

Edited by Where'd Luongo?

Last night game(vs. Philly) for JV was a weird one.  The good was getting an assist on Danny's goal and beating out that icing in the third however for the rest of the game he kind of looked lost tbh.  But that's just my take.

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

Last night game(vs. Philly) for JV was a weird one.  The good was getting an assist on Danny's goal and beating out that icing in the third however for the rest of the game he kind of looked lost tbh.  But that's just my take.

Maybe he's confused as to what his role on the team is. Steep learning cure for the young man, must be hard to see the other "young" player lighting it up for the team. Does Jake score a goal tonight against Pitts? 

• Cheers 1

I was looking at the stats page on the Canucks page and noticed that JV is a +3 and HS & DS are both -5.  Even though the twins get extra ice time, JV is the better defensive player and has better +/- than other players as well but he doesn't get the opportunity to play special teams assignments.  I think JV would make a great PK guy and with his speed be a shorthanded threat.  Also, he would be nice to see him in front of the net or maybe on the point on the 2nd PP unit.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, dpn1 said:

I was looking at the stats page on the Canucks page and noticed that JV is a +3 and HS & DS are both -5.  Even though the twins get extra ice time, JV is the better defensive player and has better +/- than other players as well but he doesn't get the opportunity to play special teams assignments.  I think JV would make a great PK guy and with his speed be a shorthanded threat.  Also, he would be nice to see him in front of the net or maybe on the point on the 2nd PP unit.

I'm hoping that sometime down the road we see Virtanen on 4 on 4's and PK. 

Edited by Odd.
  • Cheers 1

Jake is so fast, I don't understand why he wouldn't eventually receive opportunities on the PK and PP, and even in OT, where there is so much ice. He literally beat out the Philly dman (Ghostibere...sp?) the other day, and Jake was behind him to begin with? That's crazy strides, and powerful legs. He'd be a threat in OT, even if he was out of place, he could easily make up his mistake with his skating. 

and did i mention that he's got a wicked wrister as well? 

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, The Lock said:

I think we have to still be careful with Virtanen. He's maturing and all, which is great, but only when he's ready for it should he get those extra minutes on the PK, etc imo.

As much as I would love to see JV get a bit more ice I respect the way Green is bringing him along. Awhile back Green said this season was a period where Virtanen and Gaunce had to find out how they would become full time NHLer's. Not enough TOI to make them think they had made it but enough to develop habits and a desire for more. 

• Upvote 1

On 2017-11-24 at 6:06 AM, Boudrias said:

As much as I would love to see JV get a bit more ice I respect the way Green is bringing him along. Awhile back Green said this season was a period where Virtanen and Gaunce had to find out how they would become full time NHLer's. Not enough TOI to make them think they had made it but enough to develop habits and a desire for more. 

I get what you’re saying but I think we should try to give him some PP time because we seen a glimpse of what we had in pre season and I think giving him some time on the second PP unit atleast for an experiment, would not hurt him. Just replace Gagne for him “Until Gagne earns his minutes”

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, Alflives said:

Defensively, Jake continues covering for the Twins, but it's costing him offensive play.  I wonder if the Twins are stifling Jake?

It appears like that some games - shows in the stats too for possession and plus/minus.   He is playing a more conservative game by instruction - give him another 1/4 season or so until it is second nature and then I can see them ramping up his minutes and o-zone opportunities.  

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It appears like that some games - shows in the stats too for possession and plus/minus.   He is playing a more conservative game by instruction - give him another 1/4 season or so until it is second nature and then I can see them ramping up his minutes and o-zone opportunities.  

Jake has all the skills to play an offensive role.  It's pretty clear the coaches want him to become a responsible 200 foot player though.  Playing with the Twins is forcing him to think defense. 

• Upvote 2

58 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Exactly! If I was more tech fluent I would reproduce that clip where Green said as much. The beuaty of Green having Virtanen all last year is that he has a very good idea of where his head is at. IMHO Jake has to do what Gaunce did last year and the beginning of his season this year. 'Do no harm'.   

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Tre Mac said:

JV looks a lot better playing with Gaunce and Granlund, and he sure needed that goal against the NYR.  Hopefully he can build on this and Green continues with these line combos.

How did he look a lot better playing with Gaunce and Granlund last night against NYR? Compared to him playing with the twins? 

On 11/25/2017 at 2:20 PM, Alflives said:

Jake has all the skills to play an offensive role.  It's pretty clear the coaches want him to become a responsible 200 foot player though.  Playing with the Twins is forcing him to think defense. 

Yeah. I think Jake has all the tools to become an offensive player in the league. 20 goals, I think he can be a perennial 20 goal scorer. 

Just look at that shot he made yesterday! I wish he would often shoot it from around that range, as opposed to shooting it so far out. 

• Upvote 1