The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

1 hour ago, The 5th Line said:

Can't score, can't pass,  can't fight, can't play D, doesn't battle, doesn't want the puck so why is he here? Jb needs to send him to Calgary and tell him he can come back when he mans up.  He looks intimidated like a frightened little puppy dog.   It's not a matter of learning the NHL, it's matter of compete level and he doesn't have it.  Literally all he does is hit, I don't even know if he understands why he is hitting..

Wow.. you're so worked up on a 19 year old rookie.. Settle down

• Upvote 3

Virt set the tempo tonite. His hits definitely threw off the Wild. They spent so much focus on trying to retaliate on Virt's hit that they forgot about Vrbata. Bodychecks are under rated in today's game..5 guys all skating at Virt even the ref's were intimidated they threw Burrow's in out of habit.

3 hours ago, J.R. said:

Why isn't he playing like a 25 year old Getzlaf yet?!! :frantic:

crying-baby.jpg

It is true that not many 19 year-olds play like a 25 year-old Getzlaf. And not many 29 year-olds ever play like a 25 year-old Getzlaf, even when they are 25, and I strongly suspect Virtanen will also be in that category (i.e. not as good as Getzlaf).

Jake is a good prospect but, relative to other guys in his draft class, he is a bit disappointing for a #6 pick. The guys at the top of the draft (Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Bennett are well ahead of him. Dal Colle has been disappointing but, most importantly, the guys behind him -- Ehlers and Nylander (even though he is in the AHL) look much better so far. Frankly, right now McCann looks like a better player than Virtanen.

Maybe Virtanen will develop into a strong power forward but, right now, it looks like Craig Button might have been right -- that VIrtanen's ceiling might be 3RW.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Odd. said:

Virtanen's poor season?

Do you know what line Virtanen played majority of the year on? Do you know how much ice-time Virtanen averaged last season? 

Virtanen was up and down the line-up with the Hitmen last year. He switched between 2nd and 3rd line every so often. He had limited ice-time and still did the best he could with that. Virtanen had 14-16 minutes a game and still did a lot with that considering the fact that the Hitmen had two overagers leading the team in Tambellini and Rankin. Nobody on the Hitmen had an actual playmaker and Virtanen was the one who provided that skill, speed, hell even passing ability on each line he played. Had Virtanen played with a playmaker, his stats would be insanely higher. 

Coming off injury, 52 points (21 goals, 31 assists), a plus-minus of 15, in 50 games is a poor season? I also respect that each and everyone is entitled to their own opinion however Virtanen having a poor season is completely non-true.

What this tells me is that you did not watch one Calgary game last season. All I see are stats (which are frankly quite poor for a #6 at junior level) and justifications.

Had you tuned into the Hitmen once in a while, you'd see that JV was actually underwhelming most of the time. He'd be the epitome of tunnel vision for multiple shifts at a time before logging in an occasional highlight reel hit/goal/burst of speed.

You see, a WHL coach and organization probably know better than kids who search up stats on hockey's future or highlight videos on YouTube. JV didn't touch the first line for a reason and honestly, the Hitmen were better off leaving him off it. 

Edited by guntrix
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, guntrix said:

What this tells me is that you did not watch one Calgary game last season. All I see are stats (which are frankly quite poor for a #6 at junior level) and justifications.

Had you tuned into the Hitmen once in a while, you'd see that JV was actually underwhelming most of the time. He'd be the epitome of tunnel vision for multiple shifts at a time before logging in an occasional highlight reel hit/goal/burst of speed.

You see, a WHL coach and organization probably know better than kids who search up stats on hockey's future or highlight videos on YouTube. JV didn't touch the first line for a reason and honestly, the Hitmen were better off leaving him off it. 

What the hell is this

One I did not put down any coach/organization. Secondly, stop. Pause.

Tell me one player you thought boasted in skill among their forward crop last season? Hmm? 

Virtanen did take bad penalties. Yes, 17 year old's do that (I'm talking about last season). As for the bolded part, that's completely normal for a junior player. I've watched a lot of Hitmen games thank you very much. Had I not watched I wouldn't respond back to The 5th Line's comments. 

Hitmen had two overagers in Tambellini and Rankin. Right? Who played on his left side? Fazleev at times, Virtanen at times, Karnaukhov at times. Virtanen was bounced between second and third lines and would occasionally play a shift or two with Tambellini and Rankin. Did he have line chemistry? Not exactly. Chemistry plays a huge role on every line. Without line chemistry, you might as well send a bunch of 12 year olds skating around without any sense. I remember at times Virtanen would play just around the tip of the high slot and float around there for god knows why. It might have to do with recovering a man's position or he's been assigned. 

And don't give me that 'kids who search up stats' bs. Quite frankly, I'm pretty sure you needed to search the stats up to back up your reasoning. Nothing wrong with that. 

7 hours ago, JamesB said:

It is true that not many 19 year-olds play like a 25 year-old Getzlaf. And not many 29 year-olds ever play like a 25 year-old Getzlaf, even when they are 25, and I strongly suspect Virtanen will also be in that category (i.e. not as good as Getzlaf).

Jake is a good prospect but, relative to other guys in his draft class, he is a bit disappointing for a #6 pick. The guys at the top of the draft (Ekblad, Reinhart, Draisaitl, and Bennett are well ahead of him. Dal Colle has been disappointing but, most importantly, the guys behind him -- Ehlers and Nylander (even though he is in the AHL) look much better so far. Frankly, right now McCann looks like a better player than Virtanen.

Maybe Virtanen will develop into a strong power forward but, right now, it looks like Craig Button might have been right -- that VIrtanen's ceiling might be 3RW.

Making any assumptions about any of these players long term potential after ~20 NHL (or AHL) games is....:blink::picard:

On 26/10/2015, 12:18:28, The Sedge said:
On 10/11/2015, 03:14:40, The Lock said:
2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Anyone who agrees with Craig Button needs to have their membership on the CDC revoked.

How about for those who cant read? He never agreed with button. He said he may be right. Would you agree on buttons ranking with boeser right now? Probably.   The way the majority of cdc defends prospects is &^@#ed up. Jake had looked bad. Really bad. If you call him on it everyone jumps on your back saying its too early to jusdge a 19 year old. But man if a 19 year old puts up ppg in jr. Hes on everyones top every top line in 3 years.   &^@#ed up. 

I don't understand how anyone can say Jake's played 'bad'. Has he set the NHL on fire? No. Has he had I think two (if memory serves) sub par games? Sure.

Largely, he done what he's been asked, is learning and slowly adjusting and is playing well enough to remain on the roster. 

Sounds a lot like Horvat last year...

• Upvote 2

7 minutes ago, J.R. said:

I don't understand how anyone can say Jake's played 'bad'. Has he set the NHL on fire? No. Has he had I think two (if memory serves) sub par games? Sure.

Largely, he done what he's been asked, is learning and slowly adjusting and is playing well enough to remain on the roster. 

Sounds a lot like Horvat last year...

But he isn't in consideration for the Calder, so he's an abject failure. C'mon J.R. Get with it!

Honestly, if he was playing as "badly" as so many on here seem to think he is, he'd be getting benched WAY more than once every couple weeks and/or sent back to Calgary.

Apparently the Canucks coaching and management disagree with you amateur scouts and your well thought out, unbiased and valuable assessments...

Just now, J.R. said:

Honestly, if he was playing as "badly" as so many on here seem to think he is, he'd be getting benched WAY more than once every couple weeks and/or sent back to Calgary.

Apparently the Canucks coaching and management disagree with you amateur scouts and your well thought out, unbiased and valuable assessments...

His physicality has an effect on the flow of the game. Too many people look for quantifiable proof to justify why a rookie should stay up with the big club, rather than paying attention to the intangibles they bring.

Just now, Gooseberries said:

Phone is having trouble with the new format. Sorry not a developer.  

I used to have that issue with the phone as well. Whenever I quoted someone, the keyboard would refuse to capitalize words and would remove spaces between words as well.

Unbelievably frustrating.