The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Draft] VAN selects Jared McCann 24th Overall

Strombone1

What's all the stuff about his attitude? I missed the interview with him...Did he actually seem upset that he was drafted by Vancouver?

Sounds like he is a great talent and a great pickup at 24...But i'm mostly reading about his comments after being drafted.

According to a few people that follow the OHL closely, McCann is, and not just on the ice. He can be difficult, a little prickly, a little surly. “He has a bad attitude,” one scout noted. Another suggested it’s pretty strange for a kid ranked as highly as McCann is to be left off Hockey Canada’s Summer Development roster. “He clearly rubbed someone the wrong way,” I was told.

From Mooney

I think people wanted a homerun pick with the 6th overall pick. It wasn't gonna happen unless one of the top 5 slipped.

What we did get was two very solid picks that have a great set of tools that should help them make the next level.

Agreed just like the trade for Kesler, couldn't get a home run with 1.5 teams

Jared McCann @jaredmccann19 39m

Couldn't be happier right now! Thanks to my family and friends for all the support. Beyond happy to be a Vancouver Canuck!!!

Sunny @Sunny_D604 24m

@jaredmccann19 u sure? "It is what it is" raised some eyebrows here

Jared McCann @jaredmccann19

@Sunny_D604 sorry about that. I misunderstood the question. Gotta work on that. Excited to be a Canuck and can't wait to get started!

Now the bs about him being unhappy can end.

McCann was a great pick at 24th. People need to stop saying he doesn't wanna be here cause of that interview he meant nothing by it. When he did his 2nd interview with Joey Kenword he messed up again and was very nervous. He was rushing through answers because he was nervous.

#11 NA Skater at #24. Yeah, we'll take that. That pick has been money for us 2 years in a row.

It's also interesting that both players we've picked at #24 slid from the 10-15 range.

What's all the stuff about his attitude? I missed the interview with him...Did he actually seem upset that he was drafted by Vancouver?

Sounds like he is a great talent and a great pickup at 24...But i'm mostly reading about his comments after being drafted.

His immediate reaction to being drafted by VAN was very mild. Like he didn't crack a smile till he had to take the photo up on stage. The TSN interview right after that was a little bit unemotional too. Said he didn't expect to be a Canuck and used the popular "it is what it is" phrase. This put some people off... but he did an interview with Joey Kenward (Rapie Fire Q&A w/...) and he sounded much more enthusiastic. Someone also told Matt Sekeres that they thought he was "cocky". He said to Kenward that he expects to make the NHL after 1 more year of junior so take that how you want.

Personally, I don't think there's much of an issue there. He seems like a mature kid so I wouldn't worry about him.

Jared McCann @jaredmccann19 39m

Couldn't be happier right now! Thanks to my family and friends for all the support. Beyond happy to be a Vancouver Canuck!!!

Sunny @Sunny_D604 24m

@jaredmccann19 u sure? "It is what it is" raised some eyebrows here

Jared McCann @jaredmccann19

@Sunny_D604 sorry about that. I misunderstood the question. Gotta work on that. Excited to be a Canuck and can't wait to get started!

Now the bs about him being unhappy can end.

Guest Dasein

Also, to the ppl saying he wasn't happy to be drafted by us, watch the rapid Q&A video with Kenward and him. Completely changed my view on his view of being a Canuck.

http://video.canucks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?catid=6&id=626764&lang=en

Ya I think he was just super nervous.

You can tell he hasn't been in front of the camera much and isn't used to the spotlight at all.

He'll come around to it.

Kopitar, Doughty, Carter and Gaborik don't have high end skill? Interesting.

Sure we can get skill through free agency. We definitely have the cap space for Stastny and Cammalleri. But it's damn expensive. And I'm really worried that Benning just doesn't value those types of players. Hopefully he'll prove me wrong!

Who did you want Benning to take at 24?

"It's amazing...I never thought of being a Vancouver Canuck. but it is what it is. I'm very excited. I'm very honoured to be part of the organization."

That was his actual quote. Stop distorting things. You guys are worse than Fox news.

Thank you for the full quote. It's frustrating being given only a select portion of a certain story. It completely muddles everything up.

I would be ecstatic if we drafted anyone with potential to have an impact like Kopitar or Doughty. But we didn't. If we thought we were drafting players with high end puck skills, I think we're mistaken.

And I'm aware that Carter and Gaborik came over via trade. That's beside the point. I don't care how Benning gets high end players, just that he does. And so far he's shown that he values things like toughness and size more than skill. Again, hopefully he goes out and get some star level players. I will happily sing his praises if he does!

To be fair, Benning just started. You need to build a foundation first, then take a chance on higher risk, skilled players. Great day IMHO

Archived