Sign in to follow this  
avelanch

Jared McCann | C/LW

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Didn't a whole cheating fiasco just come out about the Russian's in Sochi?  It was something incredible; the complexity included the KBG!  For us to think hockey players are not pushing the limits is naive.  A good summer of McCann "training"B) the Russian way, would help him muscle up for sure.

C'mon Alfy... spew that garbage elsewhere

Just now, meh_wassup said:

C'mon Alfy... spew that garbage elsewhere

It's not garbage.  Read the New York Times article from last week.  It's all over ESPN too.  There was a vast conspiracy of cheating promoted by the Russian government.  Now they face an Olympic ban in Rio 2016.  http://news.sky.com/story/1584300/russia-faces-olympic-ban-over-drugs-cheating

Just now, Alflives said:

It's not garbage.  Read the New York Times article from last week.  It's all over ESPN too.  There was a vast conspiracy of cheating promoted by the Russian government.  Now they face an Olympic ban in Rio 2016.  http://news.sky.com/story/1584300/russia-faces-olympic-ban-over-drugs-cheating

I meant about McCann and PEDs.

I don't even want to begin to discuss the politics behind all that stuff and the Olympic ban.

1 minute ago, meh_wassup said:

I meant about McCann and PEDs.

I don't even want to begin to discuss the politics behind all that stuff and the Olympic ban.

I was being sarcastic about McCann, hence the emoji.

10 hours ago, Yotes said:

I do NOT want to see McCann traded, these proposals are insane when he is involved, the guy has a very high skill level and you can't teach that!

Seriously. Keep the kid around, he ain't sawft ;)

Superstar-Category_Superstar_562x408_enzoCass.png

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Yeah, I'd need to see one hell of a player coming back to be OK with moving JM. Kid's going to be a gamer in a few years with some added experience and muscles.

It was no fluke JB picked him -- he knows what he's got in McCann and he's not trading him.

Sorry to break it to all the Botchford fanboys.

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Qwags said:

Remember, it's his first season. It's way too early to call him a bust.

Totally,....I don't get 'writing off' 19 year olds....Look forward to seeing how McCann looks at training camp in September.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

It was no fluke JB picked him -- he knows what he's got in McCann and he's not trading him.

Sorry to break it to all the Botchford fanboys.

Sorry to break it to you but Botch has always been high on McCann, he has always said that his skill set is what the Canuck's need going forward.

The point is, Botchford is the one floating out this "trade McCann" nonsense.  Perhaps by saying both it's his Gallagher-like way of digging at the organization.

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

The point is, Botchford is the one floating out this "trade McCann" nonsense.  Perhaps by saying both it's his Gallagher-like way of digging at the organization.

He's a newsman. He's gotta speculate, and, to generate them dollars, appeal to the widest readership.

I don't blame the guy. Besides, it's more likely McCann's traded if Dubois's drafted by us. 

I hate Gallagher though. Dude looks like the Cryptkeeper.

Watch McCann beef up during the summer and blow everyone away at center a la Hutton.

I was being sarcastic about McCann, hence the emoji.

Right... the emoji...

Don't trade McCann.  Makes zero sense. He's on his way up. Tough kid. Showed a lot in his first year especially courage. Sit on him his stock will continue to go up. Old guys know. 

why would we trade this guy  he needs to gain muscle and work on faceoffs  he will be gold in 2 yrs  as will virt, horvat, hutton, tryamkin 

McCann has already been set up to be a leader. I believe he gets sent to Utica, because his contract says so, and then you build the core from the minor leagues to the bigs. I want to see McCann, Virtanen, Demko, Stecher, Subban and Cassels all start pushing for jobs, because those are the guys that have to be on standby in the AHL. It looks like a good team in Utica next season if management plays their cards right.

People think that we made a mistake by wasting a year of their elc. I'm of that opinion myself, but there's the other side of the coin that says the player will be less likely to reach milestones and stats that make contracts go up. If you put the prospect through a mediocre season in the NHL and then put him in the AHL, then his stats aren't likely to scream give me a huge contract.

I'd really love for all of these young guys to prove me wrong, but McCann is the perfect example as to why we shouldn't be enamored with pre-season performance when selecting a team. It's time to start using our depth and growing it frrom within.

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

McCann has already been set up to be a leader. I believe he gets sent to Utica, because his contract says so, and then you build the core from the minor leagues to the bigs. I want to see McCann, Virtanen, Demko, Stecher, Subban and Cassels all start pushing for jobs, because those are the guys that have to be on standby in the AHL. It looks like a good team in Utica next season if management plays their cards right.

People think that we made a mistake by wasting a year of their elc. I'm of that opinion myself, but there's the other side of the coin that says the player will be less likely to reach milestones and stats that make contracts go up. If you put the prospect through a mediocre season in the NHL and then put him in the AHL, then his stats aren't likely to scream give me a huge contract.

I'd really love for all of these young guys to prove me wrong, but McCann is the perfect example as to why we shouldn't be enamored with pre-season performance when selecting a team. It's time to start using our depth and growing it frrom within.

Good point. If he plays in the AHL next year, I doubt he comes in the year after with a 60 point season in the NHL. Probably signs a bridge contact of 2 years, 1.5 per. Now if he didn't burn his ELC and put up 50-60 points in his third year we would probably be worse off contract wise (or at least not much better off).

McCann is already good enough to play in the NHL but needs to go down to the AHL to build confidence and get stronger. 

Burning a year off an ELC is a problem when you have an unknown commodity like Frankie Corrado. He would still be a Canuck if he didn't play that one extra game. While Frankie's numbers aren't anything special on the surface, he was 18th in the NHL in Corsi for defenseman (5 on 5) and is slotted into the number 4 spot next year. Then again, we could have simply kept him around instead of signing Yannik Weber. 

On 5/16/2016 at 10:48 AM, Me_ said:

Watch McCann beef up during the summer and blow everyone away at center a la Hutton.

With the right training plan in place, he should be able to put on some muscle mass over a long hard off season of training. I hope the Canucks bring Malhotra in as a special guest faceoff coach late in the summer and for training camp. Help the guys out with their face off techniques.

If we get Dubois, he has more of the size to be a C, would that change the organizations mind about maybe wanting to convert McCann to full time permanent winger? In a few years time...

McCann Dubois Boeser

Baer Horvat Virtanen

On 15/01/2016 at 11:07 PM, Stormriders said:

I really feel sorry for this guy, . . . well sort of, because he is afterall a 19 year old playing in and being paid as an NHL player.  It's just that he could do so much more.  I am ok with creating a plan and managing his games if he isn't physically able to deal with it all, and I will take management's word on this.  But when he is playing, can he play with players that compliment his style and give him a chance to be successful?

Playing on the fourth line with guys that aren't highly skilled, doesn't give him a fair chance to succeed and build confidence.  He often doesn't get the puck enough to really do something with it, because with a player like him it is all about puck possession.  I get it that Vey is Willy's boy, and frankly he is playing better this time around, but he is also getting the better opportunities.  Let's give McCann some better opportunities.

I would even rather see him on the wing and playing with skilled players because that is where he will shine.  Not sure the 'plan' Willy has for McCann is helping him develop into the player we want and need.  I know, patience, and I understand he has a bigger agenda that just McCann, but maybe a little more balance in giving opportunities would be nice.

Canner is getting the same treatment as Bo, start from the bottom and earn your way up. Learn responsibility and the rest will follow. I think WD is playing this great.

1 hour ago, Yotes said:

With the right training plan in place, he should be able to put on some muscle mass over a long hard off season of training. I hope the Canucks bring Malhotra in as a special guest faceoff coach late in the summer and for training camp. Help the guys out with their face off techniques.

If we get Dubois, he has more of the size to be a C, would that change the organizations mind about maybe wanting to convert McCann to full time permanent winger? In a few years time...

McCann Dubois Boeser

Baer Horvat Virtanen

I have always thought Canner would look good developing as a wing instead of center. That being said, if he draft Doob, which seems likely, it will be up to the players where the play. Who ever develops into the better center will get the glory and will play up the middle. 

7 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

The terms I like to use are 'organizational monentum' and 'velocity of the system.'

Like a boiler or pressure cooker, the Canucks need to build up enough push from below to make the rest of the roster bubble over. That's how we will generate power. That's how we will create a vacuum effect that can carry over prospect grouping to prospect grouping. It takes awhile to build up but, if managed properly, it can go on indefinitely. 

That is the main reason I would advocate Jake and/or Jared going down to Utica, to build that upward pressure. 

• Upvote 2