The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jared McCann | C/LW

avelanch

3 hours ago, Toews said:

CHL wants to protect the talent in their league. It's not a stupid rule and it makes sense. The CHL developed a ton of talent for the NHL over the years. The players that are forced to stay behind often contribute to the development of their teammates as well as raise the level of competition in the league which benefits younger players.

I guess that makes sense but can't they at least make it 19 years olds instead of 20? That would make a huge difference because most players aren't ready for the AHL directly after being drafted but they would definitely be ready after one year in junior.

It sounds like WillieD wants to have McCann convert to wing for now.  He spoke of how as a young player it might be easier to start on the wing and gave the example of Larkin in Detroit.  He did make the comment that McCann prefers playing C but it does give the option to make the team as a LW.  He never played that position so they are likely not going to have him on his off-wing - he shoots left.

1 hour ago, Gretzky to Lemieux said:

I guess that makes sense but can't they at least make it 19 years olds instead of 20? That would make a huge difference because most players aren't ready for the AHL directly after being drafted but they would definitely be ready after one year in junior.

The more logical fix is to raise the draft age to 19, or even 20.

5 hours ago, Toews said:

CHL wants to protect the talent in their league. It's not a stupid rule and it makes sense. The CHL developed a ton of talent for the NHL over the years. The players that are forced to stay behind often contribute to the development of their teammates as well as raise the level of competition in the league which benefits younger players.

Right.  In addition, retaining your 19 year old talent helps the CHL teams sell more tickets and stay financially viable.      

1 hour ago, stawns said:

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The draft age used to be 19 or 20.  Some player (I think it was Eric Lindros) challenged the rule, arguing it was unconstitutional to deny an 18 year old the right to make a pro living.  So the NHL was forced to reduce the draft age to 18.  So the NHL may not be able to raise the draft age legally.  

23 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

The draft age used to be 19 or 20.  Some player (I think it was Eric Lindros) challenged the rule, arguing it was unconstitutional to deny an 18 year old the right to make a pro living.  So the NHL was forced to reduce the draft age to 18.  So the NHL may not be able to raise the draft age legally.  

I'm not sure about the lindros thing but you're right about the 18 yr old pro living comment.  While it would be better for hockey to raise the draft year, legally they can't deny a 18 year old to make earn a livable salary. Here are ways to fix this however. One being the CHL and other leagues to pony up and  pay their 19 year olds a respectable salary (not 60$ a game what Ive heard)

21 minutes ago, Zedlee said:

The draft age was 20 through 1973.  In 1974 the NHL drafted 18 and 19 year olds in response to the WHA, but then returned the draft age to 20 through 1978.  In 1979 the draft age was reduced to 18 and has remained there.

You're right that a prime reason for reducing the age to 18 was concern about legal challenges, though I don't recall anyone actually filing suit about it.  Lindros was drafted in 1991, a dozen years after the NHL draft age had been reduced to 18.

Lindros refused to report to the Nordiques after they drafted him, didn't play in the NHL for a year and there was suggestion (notably from Don Meehan) that maybe he should challenge the legality of the NHL draft, but I don't think he ever filed suit about it.

3 hours ago, Gooseberries said:

I'm not sure about the lindros thing but you're right about the 18 yr old pro living comment.  While it would be better for hockey to raise the draft year, legally they can't deny a 18 year old to make earn a livable salary. Here are ways to fix this however. One being the CHL and other leagues to pony up and  pay their 19 year olds a respectable salary (not 60$ a game what Ive heard)

or they can go to Europe to play

I seem to remember a time when 18 year olds could only be drafted in the first round, those drafted later were 19 or older. That was not a bad idea. And I like the idea of allowing each team to have one or two exceptions to the 20 year minimum for the AHL.

On 3/15/2016 at 8:42 AM, Zedlee said:

Wasn't that Ken Linsman back in the day.  1978ish coming over from the WHA?

On ‎15‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 7:19 AM, mll said:

It sounds like WillieD wants to have McCann convert to wing for now.  He spoke of how as a young player it might be easier to start on the wing and gave the example of Larkin in Detroit.  He did make the comment that McCann prefers playing C but it does give the option to make the team as a LW.  He never played that position so they are likely not going to have him on his off-wing - he shoots left.

This makes a whole lot of sense.  His biggest weapons now are his speed and his shot(if he ever uses it) and the centers currently in the lineup are ahead of McCann defensively so this would be able to help him develop his offensive prowless.  It doesn't need to be set in stone, McCann can always go back to center down the road but I think this is the best plan going forward and a lot better than the 'he should go to Utica next year' notion.  McCann Horvat Virtanen will be a nice complement to Sedin Sedin Laine line next year.

On 3/15/2016 at 9:19 AM, mll said:

Yeah i would like to see him on the wing at first, Flames did that with Bennett this year before slowly putting him back at center.

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed, he could use the boost considering where we are in the standings despite the 3-game win streak. He started so strongly and I think it was a struggle for him much of the year to assimilate to the NHL and too much to ask he keep up a reasonable percentage of that pace. He's still done pretty well though and with a bit more strength should be ready again for next year. We'll just have to see what the roster looks like for if he makes it or starts in the AHL.

McCann's game requires a bigger, leaner body.

Combination of speed, two-way ability and offensive skill.. his skill set reminds me of Pavelski.

Whether or not he becomes as talented is very uncertain at this point but I really do like what he attributes to this team.

With that said Utica is probably best for him. He needs a top 6 role and will only get a 4th line role with the Canucks. He also needs to get 10-15 pounds of solid muscle added. That won't happen in one off-season.

With the amount of centers we have we can afford to be patient and properly develop McCann.

Archived