The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

This guy is puzzling to me...???

https://canucksarmy.com/2018/10/24/nikita-tryamkin-struggling-in-khl-stripped-of-captaincy/

usatsi_9236270.jpg?w=1424

Nikita Tryamkin Struggling In KHL, Stripped Of Captaincy

OCTOBER 24, 2018, 8:38 AM | STEPHAN ROGET

At the beginning of the 2018/19 KHL season, Avtomobilist Yekaterinburg announced that the 24-year-old Nikita Tryamkin would be taking over as team captain. It was a presumably happy day for the defenseman-in-exile, but the news was considerably less well-received by the fanbase of the Vancouver Canucks. Many fans assumed that Avtomobilist making such a clear demonstration of their dedication to Tryamkin might inspire some reciprocal loyalty on his part, and that could lead to Tryamkin extending his KHL contract beyond its 2020 expiry date. It was far from definitive evidence but, on the whole, his earning of the captaincy made it seem less likely that he would ever return to Vancouver—but since then, the situation between Tryamkin and Yekaterinburg has changed in a rather dramatic fashion.

21 games into the KHL season, Avtomobilist is off to an amazing start, with a record of 20-1-0. Unfortunately, Nikita Tryamkin has not been a large part of that success. Last year, Tryamkin put up 25 points in 51 games and was the team’s clear number one defenseman, but his production has decreased dramatically to just three points in 17 games. Tryamkin’s icetime has also dropped significantly from last season, and he’s even found himself a healthy scratch on four occasions. Unfortunately, the on-ice portion of the game isn’t the only one in which Tryamkin has disappointed, either.

In what has to be considered a controversial move, Tryamkin was recently stripped of the Yekaterinburg captaincy by head coach Andrei Martmyanov—just over a month after Tryamkin was given it. Tryamkin was replaced as captain by pro hockey veteran Nigel Dawes, the team’s leading scorer. Overall, Dawes seems like a logical choice as leader and it wouldn’t be all that surprising if he had been chosen as captain from the get-go, but that’s not what happened. Clearly, something in the relationship between Tryamkin and his coaching staff has changed—to the point that, in September, they considered him the best candidate to wear the “C”—and a better candidate than Dawes—yet, in October, he’s suddenly fighting for a roster spot.

Information on the comings-and-goings of KHL franchises can be hard to come by, but Martmyanov did give a Russian-language interview with Sport-Express in which he briefly touched on the subject. In what could be gleaned from a rough translation of the article, Martmyanov shared his thoughts on why Tryamkin “was deprived of the captain’s patch.”

“I think this is generally an internal affair of the team. Still, Dawes is the leader. He is a more experienced person. Nikita – we had a conversation with him – I need to think more about the game. For the match with Spartak… almost no complaints. [Tryamkin] will ripen – will be the captain.”

Digging further into Martmyanov’s comments, one gets the picture that the coach is not happy with the defensive mistakes that seem to still be plaguing Tryamkin—and perhaps his compete level—as he notes:

“Pleased with the result, but not the content of the match. We had an expressionless match. We will understand why. Such things need to be removed. The guys warned that to go to the leading positions is very difficult…It is necessary to make an amendment in their actions. Answer for them.”

It seems that, for the time being, Nikita Tryamkin is answering for his actions with a dramatically-lessened role on the team. Given that the majority of Tryamkin’s issues in Vancouver seemed to stem from his undefined role on the team, one can’t help but notice the similarities. If Tryamkin is experiencing the same problems in Yekaterinburg that he was in Vancouver, it might make it more likely that he gives the NHL another shot.

Or, he could come storming back, reacquire the captaincy, lead Avtomobilist to a championship, and never even think about leaving Russia again. Really, who’s to say?

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

This sounds more like the player that left Vancouver and blamed a lot of things but not his own commitment.   He will have to decide how much his career means to him sooner than later.

Or, he's a player who is trying to get out of his KHL contract, so he can come back and play here sooner?  

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Or, he's a player who is trying to get out of his KHL contract, so he can come back and play here sooner?  

Wondering the same? Maybe they felt if they gave him the K, he'd commit to some LT deal? Then they find out he still wants to return to NA?..Bah, whatever? Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

A couple of things --

-A year ago Tryamkin's agent said that "KHL contracts are made to be broken"

-This sudden fall from grace for Tryamkin bodes well for the Canucks bringing Tryamkin back.

-KHL season ends by March.

I feel like Tryamkin's style is better for the NHL. I feel like he gets exposed more in bigger ice surfaces thanks to his size. He's fast for a guy his size. I feel a return is inevitable.

Also, for Tryamkin, next season seems like a good fit for his return. There'll be roster spots open on defense (Del Zotto, Edler gone for sure, Hutton, Pouliot could be gone too, at least one, if not both). Sure, Hughes and a UFA like Tyler Myers might take spots but... it makes me wonder... If Benning got word from Tryamkin's camp that he'd be willing to make his Canucks return in March, would that give Benning the courage to deal both Edler and Tanev? Or at least trade Edler by the deadline?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 12/10/2018 at 10:16 PM, Slegr said:

Maybe he can talk a few of his teammates to come play. 

This 'C' switch happened a few weeks ago. Dawes was signed in the off season and has clearly been assigned a major position in the locker room. Which is understandable. But what is really interesting is the options for each player. Dawes is pretty much done with the NHL but I don't think Tryamkin is, so Dawes would make a better long term captain. I am guessing that Avtomobilist want to extend Try at KHL rates. But I don't think their happy that Try can make 4 or 5 times the money here and can't match NHL pay. And negotiation is all about leverage. They are "rotating" 8 D men. They have a strong D corp. They clearly can live without Tryamkin. All this looks like an attempt to make him choose. My guess is that he is looking to make a comeback to get paid and prove himself in the NHL. Tryamkin, he doesn't like mindgames, I think he has a season and a half left in his contract which he will play out then return for the end of next season. I think his off ice issues of family have been dealt with and he will stick around for his hometown team as they are favored to win the championship. Again, we shall see how this plays out.

• Upvote 4

Karjala Cup is coming in November, this is the first tournament for the main European hockey national teams this season. According to the experts, Tryamkin is strong candidate to play for the Russian team. Russia plays Finland on Nov 8, Sweden on Nov 10 and Czech Republic on Nov 11.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Quantum said:

A couple of things --

-This sudden fall from grace for Tryamkin bodes well for the Canucks bringing Tryamkin back.

I feel like Tryamkin's style is better for the NHL. I feel like he gets exposed more in bigger ice surfaces thanks to his size. He's fast for a guy his size. I feel a return is inevitable.

Also, for Tryamkin, next season seems like a good fit for his return. There'll be roster spots open on defense (Del Zotto, Edler gone for sure, Hutton, Pouliot could be gone too, at least one, if not both). Sure, Hughes and a UFA like Tyler Myers might take spots but... it makes me wonder... If Benning got word from Tryamkin's camp that he'd be willing to make his Canucks return in March, would that give Benning the courage to deal both Edler and Tanev? Or at least trade Edler by the deadline?

If Nikita is back here by March, small chance (no pun intended) his defensive partner could be another rookie Dman making his debut. Hint: Hes playing for Michigan right now =)

Amazing record for Avtomobilist.  Continuing their run of good play from last season and Tryamkin's dominance. Its difficult to understand Nikita's low points on such a winning team, but he must be contributing in other ways. His mere presence puts the fear of Baba Yaga in opposing players. I'm sure he's cleared a few nets in there somewhere and made a little paste on the side boards.

I'd love to have him back sooner rather than later, But he's proven to be a bit of a head case. All good players need a bit of confidence, and pride even in their abilities, but he also needs a bit of humbleness, and faith in the organizations system and plan for him. Don't take it so personal if your minutes are not what you expect. If Nikita just puts his nose to the grindstone, and works hard at doing what the coach, Green hopefully, tells him to do, he'll make a sweet living playing in the NHL. Stop complaining about minutes, or conditioning, or pot smell, and concentrate on getting better each game. I hope he can mature, block out everything else, and understand what he has to do.  He'd be a force on the back end for us. He's young too, and would be ripening just when the rest of the new core are coming to fruition.

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Its difficult to understand Nikita's low points on such a winning team

I think there must be something going on with the percentages. Individually, we know that Tryamkin has been quite unlucky. His shooting percentage (2.7%) is way down from last season (6.5%). Unfortunately, the KHL doesn't keep on-ice (team) shooting percentages, so we can't know what Tryamkin's teammates are achieving while he's on the ice. But considering the fact that Avto is the second highest scoring team in the KHL, and the amount of icetime Tryamkin has played, it's reasonable to speculate that puck luck hasn't been on his side so far this season. Some very quick and dirty math tells me that, based on Avto's team scoring rates, and Tryamkin's usage, you would expect him to have been on-ice for somewhere around 20 goals-for this season (assuming equal distribution based on ice time). And you'd expect him to collect more than 3 points from that amount of scoring. Based on the game video I have seen from this season, Tryamkin has moved the puck well, created chances, enjoyed strong possession, and spend significant ice time in the attacking zone. He just hasn't scored, and it would seem that his teammates haven't put the puck in the net as much as they should when he's on the ice. These things tend to change over larger samples, and I'd expect Tryamkin's points per game to increase as the season wears on, assuming we see some regression to the mean when it comes to shooting percentages, both individually and on-ice (team).

Edited by SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Quantum said:

A couple of things --

You are not serious,I don't see all these players gone at all. Del Zotto probably but Edler is still a key D in the team and Hutton and Pouliot are young and improving.

I admit to have grown a little weary of this soap opera.  But, I can't believe I'm saying this, there looks to be a good chance that Trymakin will buy out the last year of his contract.  

HOWEVER, just how this guy will fit in a Canucks uniform remains to be seen.  He needs porters to carry all of his baggage at this point.  His comments about Vancouver being a dope city don't bode well, especially after legalization.  We shall see.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Dungass said:

I admit to have grown a little weary of this soap opera.  But, I can't believe I'm saying this, there looks to be a good chance that Trymakin will buy out the last year of his contract.  

HOWEVER, just how this guy will fit in a Canucks uniform remains to be seen.  He needs porters to carry all of his baggage at this point.  His comments about Vancouver being a dope city don't bode well, especially after legalization.  We shall see.

With Guddy and Tryamkin, my guess is that Pettersson and Boeser won't really get touched again.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dungass said:

It’s rare, but probably an XXXL

or XXXXL.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Dungass said:

Can we stop exaggerating his comments on Vancouver?!? 

This was the tweet of the journalist that conducted the interview

Tryamkin meant it was a big surprise for him that smoking weed is so OK & popular in Vancouver. He actually liked the city and the fans”

44 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Can we stop exaggerating his comments on Vancouver?!? 

This was the tweet of the journalist that conducted the interview

Tryamkin meant it was a big surprise for him that smoking weed is so OK & popular in Vancouver. He actually liked the city and the fans”

Bingo!  VHabitant !!

Just too bad some of our sore spot fans are so thin skinned.

Nik Played well for us in Vancouver.. lived up to his contract here.. he is a promising draft pick of ours with a very bright future. If he does come back , sure to be, as he was,  a fan favorite .

• Upvote 1