The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kyle Pettit | C

Alex the Great

Pettit hasn't really taken a step forward offensively like I hoped. Usually even defensive minded players will put up bigger numbers in their Draft +2 years but it hasn't been the case so far for him. However, since he projects as a defensive minded centre who's good on draws their still might be hope for him, just depends on what the scouting staff sees in him. If Mackenze Stewart can get a contract anything's possible.

2 assists today, bringing him up to 6-9-15 in 39 games. Also is 62.5% for faceoffs on the season.

On 1/11/2016 at 5:29 PM, stonecoldstevebernier said:

Pettit hasn't really taken a step forward offensively like I hoped. Usually even defensive minded players will put up bigger numbers in their Draft +2 years but it hasn't been the case so far for him. However, since he projects as a defensive minded centre who's good on draws their still might be hope for him, just depends on what the scouting staff sees in him. If Mackenze Stewart can get a contract anything's possible.

2 assists today, bringing him up to 6-9-15 in 39 games. Also is 62.5% for faceoffs on the season.

Hope he can develop into a 4th line checking center for the Canucks who's good on face-offs. He has the size and more importantly the drive.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With the forward depth the Canucks have, I have a hard time fathoming him getting a contract. Best case scenario would be that he agrees to a Utica deal and work his way into an NHL deal (sort of similar to what Zawleski did). If not, I wouldn't be shocked (or torn up) if Petit is thrown into a trade at the deadline. The fact that he's third in the OHL in faceoff percentage might be enough for a team with low centre depth in their prospect pool to take a chance on him over asking for a pick.

Either way, he's a guy I'd like to root for.

On ‎2016‎-‎02‎-‎04 at 3:36 PM, chickenman92 said:

Not much going on with this kid, I wonder if Benning will even sign him to a contract. Guess we have until June to find out if this was a wasted pick. 

Be nice if they could have Utica sign him

• 3 weeks later...

He's a Benning pick so I'd say there's a chance he gets signed, even with his offensive stats. That 2014 draft is already looking like one of the best in Canucks history, and with our contract space maybe Pettit gets a chance to add to that success. A couple more of the Comets' regulars will count towards the veteran limit next season so some will inevitably have to be let go, there'll be a need for some capable bottom six defensive guys.

54 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

Playoff performer!

Benning may give him a contract based on that alone. He is good in the face-off dot and from what I've heard is one of the best shutdown centre in the league, granted it is junior but that is still impressive. If he develops into a Paul Gaustad or Manny Malhotra type of player then I think everyone would be happy.

I have complete trust in Benning when it comes his evalulation of talent. He hasn't fallen flat on his face so far in terms of getting fair value when dealing players, but he hasn't fleeced anyone so far.

Archived