The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Bo Horvat should be a lock for 3rd line centre

Outsiders

After another okay but unspectacular showing in the youngstars tournament (as in Memorial Cup, the Canadian Juniors, and training camp last year) there is no way Horvat makes the team this year. In fact, I thought he was a lock to get a 9-game trial but I now think that is unlikely.

In his interview on TSN (www.tsn.ca/nhl/) Benning said they see Horvat as a centre, not as a wing and would not play him a wing this season. And when asked to name his centres (after Henrik) he indicated that the guys who have the inside track was Bonino (2C) and Vey. He also mentioned Richardson and Matthias. WHen asked about Horvat he said Horvat would have to show he is better than those guys. Presumably he would need to move ahead of both Richardson and Matthias to get the 4C position, moving Richardson to the wing and Matthias to 13th man. He did not sound like he thought that was likely.

I like Horvat and he is a good prospect but it is hard to believe Gillis gave up a top echelon goaltender who was still young, on affordable contract, and who was a great teammate for a guy who, right now, projects as a solid definsively-oriented 3C, and probably not till next year at the earliest.

Horvat can always beat out a winger like Hansen who is likely on the 3rd line and take the 3rd line centre spot pushing Vey to the wing who is better on the wing than Horvat.

Higgins - Horvat - Vey could be a 3rd line if Horvat beats out Hansen.

This young stars tournament is nothing but a glorified pond hockey scrimmage. You can take as much out of this as you can in the all-star game. Players like Gaudreau, Petan, and Shinkaruk eat this type of hockey. Canucks fans should know by now that these early tournament show’s very little to give fans perspective on the type of player we have, remember Shirokov and Fedor Fedorov. There is very little coaching that goes on in these games as they mean very little. How much PP, PK, or inzone break out practice has the team had together. How can players by into a system when there isn’t one in place. Flash isn’t what wins hockey games, smart hockey does and that’s exactly what Bo brings. So realistically this tournament provides nothing more than a skills comp.

Would have to agree...watching the little snippets of the the Youngstars Tourney was like watching Junior A exhibition games.

There's a still a few benefits to these games....let's the kids getting prepped for main camp get their timing together; gives the fans something to watch and chirp about; and gets the competitive juices flowing. Lastly, it gives some walk ons (i.e., Valk, Humphries, Lotz) a shot to show their wares. Obviously us fans take the Youngstars Tourney way more seriously than we should. But that's hockey.

Hansen is way less skilled than Higgins. That guy needs a new start somewhere else.

Jensen, Gaunce, Hunter to the AHL while Bo plays 3rd or 4th line here. I think with another training camp and new coaching staff he will fit in somewhere on the 3rd or fourth line

Sedin Sedin Vrbatta

Burr Bonino Vey

Higgs Mathias Kass

Bo Richie Dorsett

I kind of think Vey is the wild card in all this. I'm starting to think Mathias may be the better 3rd line center. Skill wise Kass is a 2nd liner but his size on the 3rd line could make that a very good line. I don't know enough about Veys game but from what I have read he seems to have more of a skill game than forechecking grinder game. Who knows...we'll see soon enough

Higgins can do more things with the puck than Hansen, no question. Size is also a consideration. Both which went to Higgins favour when we went to a slow down, dump and chase, sit back and block shots game plan with Tortorella.

But when Hansen is flying, he just is too fast. They called him Honey Badger, the most tenacious guy on the Canucks two and 4 years ago. And it comes out when we play a pressure the puck, attacking game style as we did in those years.

There are many guys like Higgins who would not be able to keep up given the right game style and Hansen deployed in the right way.

Benning and Linden have said we are going back to the pressure game. We hired Willie, a coach who plays that style. Hansen will be more valuable than you think?

really? not hansen? i'd say hansen....Higgins brings everything hansen does and is slightly harder to play agianst...i like hansen but he and higgy are clones w higgy being tougher

Hansen's coming off a poor season = low trade value. Higgins off a good season = higher trade value. Higgins has more size, Hansen more speed.

I also see Matthias as a younger version of Higgins (aka a replacement).

Then, as Surfer pointed out above ^^^, Hansen's abilities translate better to the style of game we're going to be playing (high pressure, attacking speed).

After another okay but unspectacular showing in the youngstars tournament (as in Memorial Cup, the Canadian Juniors, and training camp last year) there is no way Horvat makes the team this year. In fact, I thought he was a lock to get a 9-game trial but I now think that is unlikely.

In his interview on TSN (www.tsn.ca/nhl/) Benning said they see Horvat as a centre, not as a wing and would not play him a wing this season. And when asked to name his centres (after Henrik) he indicated that the guys who have the inside track was Bonino (2C) and Vey. He also mentioned Richardson and Matthias. WHen asked about Horvat he said Horvat would have to show he is better than those guys. Presumably he would need to move ahead of both Richardson and Matthias to get the 4C position, moving Richardson to the wing and Matthias to 13th man. He did not sound like he thought that was likely.

I like Horvat and he is a good prospect but it is hard to believe Gillis gave up a top echelon goaltender who was still young, on affordable contract, and who was a great teammate for a guy who, right now, projects as a solid definsively-oriented 3C, and probably not till next year at the earliest.

Even if they want to keep Horvat at C as Benning stated, it's easy to fit him in.

He outplays all the bottom 6 C guys and he's on the 3rd as you stated:

Higgins, Horvat, Vey

Matthias, Richardson, Hansen

He doesn't outplay everyone but his faceoffs and defensive play are seen as superior to say Matthias at 4C

Higgins, Richardson, Vey

Mathias, Horvat, Hansen

Love to see him at least get his 9 games in this year. Defensive role might be easier for him because he's so strong in that aspect of the game.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Mathias-Richardson-Dorsett

Trade Hansen or Higgins. That's what I want to see!

Love to see him at least get his 9 games in this year. Defensive role might be easier for him because he's so strong in that aspect of the game.

Sedin-Sedin-Vrbata

Burrows-Bonino-Kassian

Higgins-Horvat-Vey

Mathias-Richardson-Dorsett

Trade Hansen or Higgins. That's what I want to see!

We're not going to trade Hansen or Higgins to slot in a green Horvat. We'd waive Sestito and swap Hansen and Dorsett in and out depending on opponent.

Or we'll have an injury somewhere that makes space. The soonest either of those guys get traded is much closer to the trade deadline if Horvat (or someone else) shows VAST improvement.

Bo will have to seriously outplay one of the bottom 6 if he is to make the team this year. I don't think that JB wants to see one of his bottom 6 sitting in the press box or lose a year of B's ELC unless the youngster proves he can play against pros for an entire season.

For this year, I think the team stays as it is: Bo (and the other underage players) go back to jrs; Gaunce, Shink, Fox, etc go to Utica. If one of the Utica players starts playing really well later in the season, he may get a chance to join the team. That's when one of the vets would be traded.

I don't see this as the year for the youngsters. At best, one of them makes the jump towards the end of the season.

Good points. I also noticed that Horvat, more than any other during the young stars tournament, was doing all the little things right. I'm talking

• stick lifts at the exact best times,
  • tipping passes to break up plays, sometimes even traight up getting the steal
  • Using his body to box out guys, and separate them from the puck
  • Win board battles

Stuff like that. He put a lot of constant pressure on the offense whenever close to the puck. That first goal Shinkaruk had on a feed from Jensen was because Bo got a good poke to steal the puck so Jensen could start the play. He just didn't get an assist because Jensen lost the puck momentarily before making the pass.

He wasn't making big time plays like you would expect a top prospect to make, but he still did make a lot of little things go right. Plus, people also need to consider the difference when transferring to the NHL. I think Horvat matches up better in the NHL than someone like a Nic Petan, or a Hunter Shinkaruk, because of that style. Wait until main camp and he will impress even more than he did last year, which almost got him a spot. I still think he should get sent down for a final year, but I still think he's going to do great.

Whats really impressed me from watching the young stars tournament is how well he understands defence. He's like having another defenceman out there. He comes all the way back every shift, gets into position and blocks shooting lanes , while Jensen and Shinkaruk just waited for the puck to come to them. He is knows where to be in every situation in his own zone. He digs out pucks and then gets it to his wingers fast so they can go on offence.

People saying he doesn't have an offensive game don't get that Horvat's offensive game is different than others, and what i mean by that is people say "whats Horvat done he's got no points". Horvat may not get as many points compared to Shinkaruk but he develops the play into a scoring chances. He creates chances for other players and they don't miss. he may not get an assist on the play but he set up the play to develop into a solid scoring chance. And what i mean is he thinks the game so well. He knows when he gives the other player the puck what they're gonna do with it. #Boknows

He will translate into the NHL so well because of his defence and his good defence turns into offence something the canucks as a team couldn't do while under Torts. They couldn't play strong tight defence and then have a good offensive game. Horvat has this he plays great defence which leads to his offence .Now he may not get a point on every play but he contributed to the goal in some way..

Higgins-Horvat-Vey/Hansen to start the season

Horvat usually got his goals and points in junior on the power play. Forwards of his pedigree are just as vital for playoff success as great goaltending. Horvat will give the team a strong balance between offence and defense in the long run.

As many mentioned above, Benning is willing to move a winger and put a center there, but that still means Bo has to beat a center out of their natural position. So what that really means is that Bo is only competing against centers IMO - he has to beat a center out of their natural position to make the roster. Correct me if you think my interpretation is wrong.

I think it comes down to two possible lineup combinations (assuming everyone is healthy, which obviously won't happen, but for the sake of simplicity):

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

Matthias - Richardson - Dorsett

or

Higgins - Richardson - Vey

Matthias - Horvat - Hansen/Dorsett

To me, it really comes down to whether Vey can play at center or not. Ideally, Richardson is a 4C, and I don't see Horvat beating him out for that position head to head (I could be dead wrong because this is pure speculation on my part, as training camp hasn't begun and we haven't seen them go head to head yet).

However, if Vey is unable to take draws and play the role required of a 3C by Willie Desjardins, we will have to move Richardson up the depth chart and play Vey on the wing instead. That opens up the 4C for Horvat to step into. I think they'll play Matthias on the wing because he's better suited there than at center, and that means Bo's only competition would be other prospects like Gaunce and Lain, whom Bo could be seen as reasonably being better than.

As you can see, a single injury to any of Henrik, Bonino, Vey or Richardson would legitimately open up a roster spot for Bo on the 4th line. I don't think Matthias will get a serious look at center unless Bo is clearly not ready.

As many mentioned above, Benning is willing to move a winger and put a center there, but that still means Bo has to beat a center out of their natural position. So what that really means is that Bo is only competing against centers IMO - he has to beat a center out of their natural position to make the roster. Correct me if you think my interpretation is wrong.

I think it comes down to two possible lineup combinations (assuming everyone is healthy, which obviously won't happen, but for the sake of simplicity):

Higgins - Vey - Hansen

or

Higgins - Richardson - Vey

Matthias - Horvat - Hansen/Dorsett

To me, it really comes down to whether Vey can play at center or not. Ideally, Richardson is a 4C, and I don't see Horvat beating him out for that position head to head (I could be dead wrong because this is pure speculation on my part, as training camp hasn't begun and we haven't seen them go head to head yet).

However, if Vey is unable to take draws and play the role required of a 3C by Willie Desjardins, we will have to move Richardson up the depth chart and play Vey on the wing instead. That opens up the 4C for Horvat to step into. I think they'll play Matthias on the wing because he's better suited there than at center, and that means Bo's only competition would be other prospects like Gaunce and Lain, whom Bo could be seen as reasonably being better than.

As you can see, a single injury to any of Henrik, Bonino, Vey or Richardson would legitimately open up a roster spot for Bo on the 4th line. I don't think Matthias will get a serious look at center unless Bo is clearly not ready.

I think you have nailed his opportunity...

Vey is a legitimate centre what's with the "if's" all about. In the AHL he centred Toffoli and Pearson. He has 3 years pro in the AHL under his wings already. In his 3 rd year in Major Junior he had 110 points. He played in Jim Bennings backyard for all that time..... lets understand here this kid is a Benning selection after years of scouting. Jimmy is hanging his hat on this guy. Horavt has played 3 years of Major Junior and in his 3rd year put up 74 pts. Vey is 23 ....Horvat is 19. Vey scored 22 goals + 45 A. Horvat scored 30 + 44 in junior hockey. Horvat needs to be spectacular to make this roster..... for more than 10 games

Vey is a legitimate centre what's with the "if's" all about. In the AHL he centred Toffoli and Pearson. He has 3 years pro in the AHL under his wings already. In his 3 rd year in Major Junior he had 110 points. He played in Jim Bennings backyard for all that time..... lets understand here this kid is a Benning selection after years of scouting. Jimmy is hanging his hat on this guy. Horavt has played 3 years of Major Junior and in his 3rd year put up 74 pts. Vey is 23 ....Horvat is 19. Vey scored 22 goals + 45 A. Horvat scored 30 + 44 in junior hockey. Horvat needs to be spectacular to make this roster..... for more than 10 games

Vey is definitely ahead of Horvat. Kid's ready to breakout in the NHL. I would be surprised if he wasn't excelling in a top 9 maybe even top 6 role by the end of the year.

If Vey makes it into the top 6 by the end of this year, the Tampa Bay 2nd we traded for him is looking like a pretty sweet deal.

Definitely someone I am excited to watch this year. Some potential seasoned youth in the line up.

Considering it would have worked out as us essentially flipping Garrison for him. Unloading that contract is worth it already, in my opinion.

Vey is further ahead than Horvat. Why rush our prospects? Horvat would benefit greatly from another year in junior. Just like Shinkaruk should spend a year in the AHL.

Next year we can look forward to Horvat, Shinkaruk, Virtanen, and may Guance (as a bottom 6 forward) making the team out of training camp. This season is just one year too early.

Actually, both of them. So, if Horvat was to start on the third line for the Canucks, the likely lines would be:

Sedin - Sedin - Vrbata

Burrows - Bonino - Kassian

Higgins - Horvat - Vey

Leaving Hansen and Sestito both out.

4th line of matthias richardson and dorsett? not bad at all, i think our team will catch people by surprise! Go Orcas Go! :bigblush:

I have Vey listed as right wing?

Matthius, and Richardson still out rank Horvat.

The way I see it, we have six centres, with Horvat, and Gaunce as five, and six.

That leaves Cole Cassels, and Mallet.

Whoever slots in , I'm left wondering if we need Valk more than people think?

LW, and centre call ups are all prospects? Fox, Shinkaruk, Kenins, and Zalewski, and up the middle Horvat, Gaunce, Cassels, and Mallet?

....and on the right wing I have Hansen as a spare, Jensen, and Grenier as call ups?

I can't see any other way to line up than this

D. Sedin-----H.Sedin------ Vrbata

A Burrows------- Bonino------ Vey

Higgins-------Richardson-------Kassian

Sestito------Matthius-------Dorsett------menacing 3b line

although Jensen, Hansen, Vey, and Kassian could be swap around until the right fit is found

Archived