The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Please send Horvat down for the sake of the kids confidence!

desiboynux4lifee*******

Anthony Mantha was drafted after Horvat. My point is just watch Babcock actually give the kid fair chances and watch him blossom into the perfect power-forward. To develop young players you need to give them confidence and the right opportunity. And that's something this team struggles with. If they are not going to give Horvat a fair chance send him down, that is all im saying.

mantha hasn't played an NHL game. He hasn't played añ AHL game either. He is old enough for the AHL so he will get a shot there but he isn't guaranteed NHL ice time at all. He will have to earn his ice time...like bo

Thought a stop-by here would be a stroll through the park..only to find the picnic's in a panic...

What do the whiners 'round here want, by Gawd?!

Tied for 1st in points, despite a recent spate of injuries, & yo yo sched.

AHL team is in 1st too, isn't it?

Seems TL & JB might have a midas touch goin' on. Despite the constant slagging, Gillis left us some decent young pieces, as well.

Torts' demolition-derby taught our boys the value of sanity; also rendered Virtanen.

Currently bounce-backs from twins, Burrows, Edler, et al...

Yet STILL there are lost souls splitting the proverbial hair?!?

What would it sound like on these boards if we were languishing in the basement, or stuck with lousy(Leafer) contracts, with an oncoming cap-crunch?! I shudder to contemplate such horrors...

I am with you.

I personally like what I have seen with this team. We have won a few games, Sedinery is back, we have had some decent secondary scoring, our PP and PK is respectable and our goaltending has been very good. Now with all those positives, I think we should all look for the negatives we can find and start 101 new controversies to troll about here on CDC.

Let's start with the type of mustard they serve on the hotdogs at Rogers arena and follow that by harping about the way they sharpen their skates. I know there are a few resident experts out there that know so much about those issues so we should get a good cross section of crap to complain about.

Name a prospect we developed after 2011

Well since you asked.

Grenier, Shinkaruk, Gaunce, Jensen, Mallett, Hutton and basically everyone we've drafted since 2011.

We have our own development program and team now so literally everyone since 2011 has been developed by us.

Also, just because Horvat isn't getting 22 minutes a night or some such nonsense does not mean he isn't benefitting from being up in the bigs. He is being used in solid assignments being asked to do the big boy stuff and is practicing regularly with the club and in some aspects with the twins and Burrows to work on his offensive game as well.

No need to rush him back to London at all

Lazar actaully has a chance to prove himself and is not being given sheltered minutes. possibility's here 1) Horvat's not given a fair chance 2) Horvat's not ready and Lazar would have been a better pick up

http://senators.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8477508&season=20142015&view=gamelog

And Horvats minutes. http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8477500

Lazar is in Ottawa because they have no choice right now. Lost Alfie Spezza and their best character guy is that pug fugly troll Chris neil.

They need Lazar up, it has nothing to do with being ready or not

Anthony Mantha was drafted after Horvat. My point is just watch Babcock actually give the kid fair chances and watch him blossom into the perfect power-forward. To develop young players you need to give them confidence and the right opportunity. And that's something this team struggles with. If they are not going to give Horvat a fair chance send him down, that is all im saying.

You lost me here.

Babcock and Detroit will NOT rush this kid in to the league at all. Detroit will sit his big lazy butt in the AHL for 2 or 3 full seasons before he becomes an NHL regular. After Dekeyser I struggle to find a player they rushed in to the line up not named Yzerman.

Detroits development model has never changed, that's why it's development,

I predict Mantha will have more points then Horvat because he will be played in key situations and given actual opportunities.

So Phil Kessel is a better player than Pavel Datsyuk over the last 6 seasons, because he has 60 more points?

I think he should stay after 9 games. But that's just me.

It just sucks that Horvat's situation is either OHL or NHL, and the latter burns a year off his contract. I'd love for him to stay, since he's shown to be defensively responsible in the NHL and he's been solid in the faceoff circle, but I wouldn't want to risk a year's worth of his contract for that.

Just send him down for the sake of this kids confidence. Name any player you seen in the Nhl who played 5 minutes a night and developed. If the Canuck's are trying to go the Courtier way they are failing big time. I have seen this story many times from this management. Well Hodgson,Grabner,Schroder come to my mind all former 1st rounders.

Finally, the question is, is it our management who does not know how to draft? Or is it the Coaching who does not know how to develop young players. Because Curtis Lazar was picked up after Bo, and he played decent numbers tonight. Can we truly say that Horvat is not ready? when they gave him hardly any minutes to show us what he has. Tonight's game was the perfect opportunity to give Horvat decent minutes, because Ottawa's not a great team. But guess they felt putting him against the Stanley cup champions was a better indication? And against LA Horvat was one of the best forwards. So again, why does Horvat get benched? Does this coaching staff or management expect prospects to be perfect?

Playing a kid 5 minutes a night is a horrible way to develop. I think its time we as fans look at Ottawa's or Detroit's model and ask ourself's how they developed there prospects because we has fans have seen this way too many times. This is the time we need our youth to step up and they are still not given a fair chance.

I'm sure being a 19 year old rookie on the fourth line of one of the hottest teams in the league is just destroying his confidence. He'd be much happier and confident being sent back to Junior early knowing that Defazio has things covered in the big league

Didn't any of you hear what WD said after the game??

He didn't get Horvat-Jensen-DeFazio out there because he didn't want them to match up against Ottawa's top line. In a tight scoring game (where the Canucks couldnt hold a lead at all...), many rookies will find their rear end glued to the bench. This isn't some sort of conspiracy to hold back development, it's called good coaching. Watch what happens when the Canucks get a 2 or 3 goal lead, the younger guys will get ice time.

How about the positive effect on rookies by being on a winning team? A team tied for 1st overall and honestly looks like they could play better. On top of that having Vrbata, Kassian, Dorsett and Sbisa all injured and still winning games. This is a dream scenario for a rookie in that since the team is winning; rookie confidence and compete level should be at an all time high.

I think he should stay after 9 games. But that's just me.

No, it's not.

It just sucks that Horvat's situation is either OHL or NHL, and the latter burns a year off his contract. I'd love for him to stay, since he's shown to be defensively responsible in the NHL and he's been solid in the faceoff circle, but I wouldn't want to risk a year's worth of his contract for that.

Risk what? We're just as likely to not have him break out offensively prior to his next contract and get him cheaper than we would have otherwise.

Barring a trade he's our best option at 4C IMO and I'm with Snake, based on what I've seen so far, he stays. And I imagine he'll only get better from here out.

You do realize Horvat played his first NHL game four games ago and on the Cali road trip...arguably the toughest 3 games you could play in 4 nights. WD had his reasoning for last night. Its game management. The team has a plan for Horvat, it needs to play out, so far I am not one bit disappointed. I'm sure he will get his 9 games, go back to junior, play World Juniors and impress big time since he just spent 9 games against grown men. Probably see him back up to the big club later in year.

As an organization we're 28-9-3, (Canucks/Utica/K-wing) not too shabby if you ask me.

I'm pretty sure management know what they're doing, and Bo not playing big minutes has a lot to do with what WD said after the game. Something along the lines of matching up lines effectively.

In other words, "you're trippin".

So now that we know beyond a shadow of a doubt that WD's life mission is to destroy Horvat's career, we need to explore our options.

Anybody know an old gypsy woman that can put a curse on him? How about voodoo? I could probably find some chicken bones in the dumpster out back.

Burke grabbed them bones, i know i saw him crawl out of a dumpster behind the Flying J on Barlow Trail.

You do realize Horvat played his first NHL game four games ago and on the Cali road trip...arguably the toughest 3 games you could play in 4 nights. WD had his reasoning for last night. Its game management. The team has a plan for Horvat, it needs to play out, so far I am not one bit disappointed. I'm sure he will get his 9 games, go back to junior, play World Juniors and impress big time since he just spent 9 games against grown men. Probably see him back up to the big club later in year.

that's not how it works. Once he's sent back to London, he's there for the year.

"Let's start with the type of mustard they serve on the hotdogs at Rogers arena and follow that by harping about the way they sharpen their skates. I know there are a few resident experts out there that know so much about those issues so we should get a good cross section of crap to complain about. "

I've never tried mustard as a skate sharpener, does it work?

Archived