The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] VAN Alexandre Mallet + Pick :: NYI Andrey Pedan

Strombone1

What makes this a solid move IMO is the confidence I have in JB, I just believe in his ability to recognize talent. Doesn't mean that every trade or pick will turn out, but you recall his office wall with every teams depth chart and you can be sure that extends to the AHL and ECHL, he's that passionate.

Yes it's early, but so far JB seems like he's following a very well thought out plan, these early moves seem so targeted and controlled, no knee jerk reactions, the options are all clearly thought out well in advance of any specific move, methodical and in control, easy to trust this GM.

Yup, JB knows not only all the players in the NHL but is very well-acquainted with the prospects. Reportedly he's had his eye on Pedan since in Boston, same as he had wanted Matthias.

Pedan to the Islanders is what Mallet is to us.

If so, then why wasn't it a straight-across swap? Suggesting that Snow snookered Benning out of a third round pick for nothing more than an exchange of career minor-leaguers? Pedan has NHL upside whereas it appears Mallet is going nowhere and wouldn't have been resigned..

Vey, Horvat, Gaunce, McCann, Cassels, Fox, Labate(I think we still have him)...all ahead of him except the last two maybe.

Pedan is a defenceman.

Yup, JB knows not only all the players in the NHL but is very well-acquainted with the prospects. Reportedly he's had his eye on Pedan since in Boston, same as he had wanted Matthias.

If so, then why wasn't it a straight-across swap? Suggesting that Snow snookered Benning out of a third round pick for nothing more than an exchange of career minor-leaguers? Pedan has NHL upside whereas it appears Mallet is going nowhere and wouldn't have been resigned..

Pedan is a defenceman.

Re-read my post.

Now that you've read it again, you would see that I implied that Pedan was behind a few defenders that is equivalent to the amount of centers Mallet was behind. It had nothing to do with skill level or NHL upside, just the numbers game

Superior talent evaluation trumps sleep doctors.

one minute you're waxing all self-righteous about Kassian (brought in by mr sleep doctor) being too violent for your 'sensibilities', the next you're in here posting this endorsement of adding skilled toughness to this franchise.

your axe to grind trumps your reasoning nucknit.

My big balls prediction that trumps all of yours: Pedan Will Be A Future NHL All-Star. If this happens you all buy me a beer. If it doesn't, oh well. But it's going to happen. I guarantee it. Me and my big balls guarantee it. /cdc

My Busted Balls perspective says that all things Canuck are bound to fail, and this is simply the latest expression of a futile attempt to improve, when the team ought to be focusing on fulfilling the intent of the disempowering conspiracy overlying all things. This team should be tanking - cause the Power in the South would hate to see this team tank, Right!

McDavid would be our Saviour!

When things go to hell, folks need one of those.

My Busted Balls perspective says that all things Canuck are bound to fail, and this is simply the latest expression of a futile attempt to improve, when the team ought to be focusing on fulfilling the intent of the disempowering conspiracy overlying all things. This team should be tanking - cause the Power in the South would hate to see this team tank, Right!

McDavid would be our Saviour!

When things go to hell, folks need one of those.

Ummmmmmmm.....I'm going to go with "No" on your whole post!

We are doing fine, we have great coaching and leadership throughout the team, and they are proving that they still have lots of gas in the tank!

Full speed ahead!!!!

I think he's going to be a longer term project. Bad habits are not killed over a few games under good coaching. He'll need to adjust to our system of playing as well so there's that. I highly doubt he'll see any action or get a call up this season for those two reasons - he needs to play lots to learn our system and get rid of his bad habits.

Being physically ready is not sufficient. Some guys have all the tools in the world but never put them together or are rushed before they do and are ruined. I hope we take our sweet-ass time developing this guy so that we can get some NHL games out of him in the future. He may be tough, but he'll need to be able to play first to get a call up. We'll probably have to see how he does with Utica first before judging where he is.

I'm just curious what these predominant bad habits are?

I heard a similar song regarding Sbisa sung quite a lot around here - and yet it hasn't taken all that long for the people parroting that to abandon that story. Some coaches/people seem to think that busting a guys balls will make more of a man out of him, or a player more productive. I find that completely counterproductive in almost all cases, and look at Tortorella's effect on guys like Edler and Hansen as prime local and recent examples of the failure in that approach. I think there are countless other examples in other contexts that make the point (not simply looking to pinpoint Tortorella here).

One very notable thing about Willie Desjardins - whenever a media type goes fishing for negativity regarding any of his players, he instantly responds with affirming that whomever they are talking about is a good hockey player, refers to a few of their best attributes, and then might acknowledge that there is room for improvement in areas. We'll see if that's just soft soap or whether it gets better results in the end. All indications are that it works pretty well for him. It can go a long way with getting the best out of players.

I have a lot more faith in the Canucks scouting, management and coaching than I do in internet nellies that write young players off prematurely - and that's not a reference to your post, where you're simply suggesting that he could take time - but a tendency to abort commitment to certain players because some folks seriously underestimate realistic development timelines.

I think the incorrect impression a few people here may have is that acquiring Pedan is somehow a response / the answer to the Hamhuis injury. He's probably not earmarked for a short term ascendancy to the Canucks roster, but at the same time, there are players who simply improve much more rapidly in circumstances designed for their success. The New York Islanders have accumulated enough young talent that they can't necessarily go wrong with all of it - however, I'm not necessarily sold on the way they handle it - and aside from a number of can't miss prospects, they also have a fairly questionable history. The most obvious recent example is Nino Niederreiter, who they "developed" in an absolutely confounding way. I like the team so I'm not going to pick apart their failures (and they've had lots of notable success recently), but I sure as hell wouldn't assume that because a guy falls out of favour in the Islanders system, that their value should be perceived accordingly. I'd be more inclined to take advantage of the way they devalue some of their assets. In Pedan's case there's also simply the fact that the Islanders have a lot of other shiny assets to focus on.

I think they are one of the best trade partners to be pick pocketing right now and Pedan is a hell of an intelligent risk imo.

Can we confirm that he played with Tryamkin at the WJC for Russia?

There's a thought. Picked up to help Tryamkin settle in after his contact is up?

If that's the case we better pray he's a guy of good & sound character who wont be doing anything on or off of the ice to lead young Tryamkin astray. In JB & Green... we must now trust!

Ummmmmmmm.....I'm going to go with "No" on your whole post!

We are doing fine, we have great coaching and leadership throughout the team, and they are proving that they still have lots of gas in the tank!

Full speed ahead!!!!

That's awesome, cause conspiracy has cramped my thinking, made a defeatist "NO!" man out of me.

Just spoke to someone in the know who gave me an interesting tidbit...I can't verify it yet though.

Apparently his father is the major distributor of Russian military equipment and paraphernalia in the US, and that his parents are currently now based out of Florida for their business. The implication was that it is very lucrative.

If true it means he has even more connection to North America than just hockey so he's even less likely to go the KHL route. Apparently he fully committed to playing in the NHL.

Kind of bumbed out we gave up on mallet already. I think he has Dorset potential. It's not much upside but I think we all now know the importance of an energy 4th line. Mallet could have brought that in a couple years

A 'possible' energy player for a probable hulking 5/6 d-man that can skate, shoot and is nasty beyond compare?

Sorry that bums you out, Doug.

Kind of bumbed out we gave up on mallet already. I think he has Dorset potential. It's not much upside but I think we all now know the importance of an energy 4th line. Mallet could have brought that in a couple years

I think you are underestimating / reducing what Dorsett is.

He's not simply a 'fourth line energy guy'. - not something any energy depth forward can provide. I'm not writing off Mallet - he could become a solid depth NHLer or more, who knows, but Dorsett is a pretty rare kind of player.

Dorsett brings a lot more than energy. He's a puck hound and absolute nuissance to play against. All he does is take away time and space relentlessly. He hits you, he chirps at you, he's always prepared to hold his ground and take yours. He's a constant source of focus that gets other teams off their game and frustrated. He has more upside than may appear. Imo he also has exceptional situational hockey intelligence. He knows when to kill time, he knows when to push for scoring opportunities, he knows when to get in your grill, and he seems to always have his opponents somewhat off guard / not knowing what to expect from him. He'll also break your team's back that way - if you can't handle an opponent's fourth line, you are in trouble, and that's the kind of trouble he poses. He is constantly building forward momentum. He brings sheer courage to his team-mates. But perhaps most importantly - he makes his linemates better. There are not a great deal of depth, energy forwards that elevate their linemates quite the way Dorsett does. If you watched his performance in the playoffs last year for the NYR, that is precisely the effect he had - Dorsett, Boyle and Moore were probably the Rangers best line every night - and Dorsett perhaps the least obvious of the three, but driving it as much as anyone. It's what we're seeing now. Hansen and Horvat are stars in their own right, but it's pretty evident that Dorsett is every bit as focal, and has a few 'intangibles' that are likely undervalued for the most part - except by keen eyes like JB and WD who knew what they were doing when they targeted him as an acquisition. Dorsett and Hansen are having a hay day against opponents lower pairings and matchups. Is anyone questioning spending a 3rd on Dorsett now?

I'm just curious what these predominant bad habits are?

[...]

I have a lot more faith in the Canucks scouting, management and coaching than I do in internet nellies that write young players off prematurely - and that's not a reference to your post, where you're simply suggesting that he could take time - but a tendency to abort commitment to certain players because some folks seriously underestimate realistic development timelines.

[...]

I think they are one of the best trade partners to be pick pocketing right now and Pedan is a hell of an intelligent risk imo.

I do too.

As for bad habits, I went on hfboard where a lot of Islanders fans said he's got all the tools but they question his hockey IQ to put it all together, so to speak. Also apparently he's really undisciplined and has a temper (some would say the latter is good but still needs to be controlled somewhat and be smart about it). That's what those guys said though so obviously nothing that a scout has said.

I do too.

As for bad habits, I went on hfboard where a lot of Islanders fans said he's got all the tools but they question his hockey IQ to put it all together, so to speak. Also apparently he's really undisciplined and has a temper (some would say the latter is good but still needs to be controlled somewhat and be smart about it). That's what those guys said though so obviously nothing that a scout has said.

This is all pretty much my assessment.

The tools are not really a factor, although his two step quickness could be a flag, but it's his decision making and processing that are an issue. I think he's not as raw in this regards though as the people you are quoting assume. Just my impressions from his time in Guelph. He didn't stand out particularly strong or weak defensively in Bridgeport last year, and I take that as acceptable progression.

I disagree that he has a temper though… he's just motivated to be mean as he knows that's part of his game that he's good at it. If he can focus that aggression to be just on the right side of the law and then open up the can of whoopass, as it were, when needed then he'll be very effective. The minor penalties are a bigger concern than the fighting majors and misconducts because those can be reeled in if he isn't a complete idiot like Carcillo and Downie were early in their careers, and apparently he's a pretty levelheaded kid.

Archived