The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Our Defense SUCKS

Gretzky to Lemieux

I know some of you will blame Miller and Lack for the amount of goals they're letting in, but how are they supposed to help us win when we give up 3 on 1s every minute? Our lists of defensemen from best to worst as of now are;

1. ?

2. Edler

3. Tanev

4. Hamhuis

5. Bieksa

6. ?

7. Sbisa

8. Stanton

9. Weber

10. Corrado

As you all know, our defence has always been fragile when it comes to injuries, and with Hammer out for a while, we need another top 4 if not top 2 defensemen RIGHT NOW. I know you guys will scream at me for listing Sbisa as a 7th defensemen, but if we want to be a true contender in this league, we need a true #1 PMD that could put up 50 points and play defence at the same time. I really want Doughty but there's obviously no way LA is giving him up when hes just entering his prime. IMO, we also need a big #6 reliable stay at home guy to get paired with Bieksa because he's looked god awful this year. Stanton might be a future top 4 defensemen but he doesn't look like it right now. Weber doesn't even belong in this league let alone our top 6. Corrado is our future answer on defence but he's just not ready for the role yet. It's obviously really hard to attain these players because nobody wants to give up any of our offensive depth, but something needs to change on defence if we really want to have one last push for the cup.

Agreed. Edler & Tanev are the only legit top 4 defenseman (with Hamhuis injured). Bieksa clearly is not a top 4 defenseman anymore, Sbisa is not there yet (if he reaches that point), nor is Stanton (if he reaches that point), and Weber is not even an NHLer as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have Corrado playing over Weber(I've felt this way for a while now) because Corrado needs to develop and Weber isn't even really a #7.

Is it the players or the style they are playing ?

“They’ve had real good success pinching and our coaches did a good job of getting a pre-scout and it just comes down to that execution and we did a real good job of executing coming out of our own zone.”

— Derek Stepan

Were you surprised by all the pinching, King Lundqvist?

“We talked about them pinching. I didn’t think they were going to go that hard every time.

“It was almost like a 50-50 puck they were going for it and we made them pay, especially in the first period.”

McDonagh: “We pre-scouted, and our coaches talked about that a lot.

“It was going to be a big job for our wingers to either hold onto pucks or not get it back to them or get it out of the zone. We were able to do that right away in the first period and we got some good looks because of it.

“We understood the opportunities we were going to have if we were able to make that play on the wall so it was just about bearing down.”

Agreed. Edler & Tanev are the only legit top 4 defenseman (with Hamhuis injured). Bieksa clearly is not a top 4 defenseman anymore, Sbisa is not there yet (if he reaches that point), nor is Stanton (if he reaches that point), and Weber is not even an NHLer as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have Corrado playing over Weber(I've felt this way for a while now) because Corrado needs to develop and Weber isn't even really a #7.

It was tough watching Bieksa last night, I think he's lost a step. It's unfortunate but he wasn't getting back very fast after he'd been beat. His play reads were slow. Weber is just too small and I think that's all you're gonna get out of him.

I'm a little concerned with Stanton's speed.

How old is Hamhuis? We have to accept the fact he's getting older quickly too.

Thank God Edler is playing well again. And Tanev, this guy just keeps getting better. That's the back end anchor of the future. Vancouver isn't going to go out and spend big if their own future lies within.The money is spent on developing your own.

I think we're at the point of fans need to be patient.

If you east to Calgary they've tailed off a bit too, much in the same manner of Vancouver.

How old is Hamhuis? We have to accept the fact he's getting older quickly too.

Hamhuis is getting older, but he's still good. You also won't see him doing the high risk moves that Bieksa seems to still think he can pull off, at least not at the same frequency.

Also, it doesn't help that none of the centers are that fast.

Edler and Tanev are quite good actually. Hamhuis is still great. Stanton is just a young buck with a lot of potential.

Weber lacks the size and grit to truly be effective in the league as it stands today.

Bieksa is clearly in need of either recuperating from a nagging injury or being a healthy scratch. His play is mired in mediocrity as is his woefully inconsistent d partner, Sbisa. That guy is a project the Canucks don't really have the time to work on.

The defense can't legitimately suck with Edler, Tanev, and Hamhuis in their ranks.

Oh and blueberry pie is fantastic, especially with some vanilla ice cream. Right after smoking a huge bowl.

Archived