The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumor] Van interested in Ryan O'Reilly, COL interested in Alex Edler.

Odd.

Q: There were rumblings this week that the Canucks are among the bidders for power centre Ryan O’Reilly from the Colorado Avalanche, who were interested in defenceman Alex Edler in return.

TREVOR LINDEN: "Alex is a foundational player for us. He’s a 25-minute, all-situation defenceman that every team is looking for. We haven’t had any trade discussion involving Alex. He’s going to be a cornerstone for our organization moving forward. Alex is having a real good season. He’s a big, strong, physical guy who can match up against anybody’s top line. He’s good in his own end, he’s a good puck-mover, has a big shot. That’s the type of guy you look for. Having him bounce back has been critical to our success this year".

Trevor also mentioned many other things in his Q and A with I think Iain MacIntyre.

http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/hockey/vancouver-canucks/Trevor+Linden+Canucks+sacrifice+future/10756023/story.html

Apparently there were rumors saying that Van is interested in ROR. I wonder how much we have pay to get ROR. Colorado were also interested in Alex Edler. However, Edler is important to the team and I'm a little hesistant to trade him away.

O'Reilly would fit perfectly on our second line, making it younger and better. ROR is definitely better than Bones and Bones could then take our third line center position, where he fits better.

Thoughts? Acquiring him would be good for our top 6 for now and the future.

We need top end scoring not ROR

Benning did say he was looking to bolster the top 6, maybe ROR is in his plans? Alex Edler is so valuable, I really don't want to trade him.

Definitely not for Edler. I also don't see the value in ROR, he has already proven to be a hassle to management in his young career while being streaky and offensively unreliable.

It would be nice to see him in a change of scenery though.... He may thrive playing for a different team.

He may be good and only 23 but he's not worth Edler unless Benning is willing to completely tank it. Edler's got another 3 solid years in him as a top-2 pairing defenceman and we're already thin on the blueline as it is. O'Reilly has been a 60 point center at best and may have already hit his prime, who knows. It's not worth the risk of trading Edler to find out, because we have no one who can replace his 24 minutes against top lines.

For arguments sake though, if we were to do a straight up Edler-for-O'Reilly trade, the Canucks should probably start looking at a mini-rebuild and aim to win a Cup in about 3-5 years time (when Edler would have been getting old and worse anyway). In that time span, O'Reilly would be 26-29 which is when most forwards hit their true prime, and our lineup would look something like this:

Jensen - O'Reilly - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Vey

Sedin - Sedin - Kassian

Matthias - Bonino - Hansen

Hamhuis - Tanev

Sbisa - Corrado

Stanton - Bieksa

Lack

Markstrom

That's a nice looking young, talented and sizeable forward group but an embarassingly leaky defence that will be relying on a couple of young goalies with not much NHL experience to hopefully carry the load at that time. However, throw in a Boston trade right now for Morrow and we may have something (especially if we pick defencemen with say our next 2 or 3 first round picks)...

TO BOS: Kassian + Higgins + 2nd

TO VAN: Morrow

Jensen - O'Reilly - Virtanen

Shinkaruk - Horvat - Vey

Sedin - Sedin - Matthias

Bonino - Gaunce - Hansen

Morrow - Tanev

Hamhuis - Corrado

Sbisa - Bieksa

Stanton

I still wouldn't do this trade but it's an option looking much further down the line.

It was only 4 months ago many of us were on the 'trade Alex Edler now!!!!!!' train. Boy times have changed. We really need Edler back there and we can't afford to trade D, seeing as that we also need D as well.

I'd be shocked if we further decimated our defensive depth by trading our top-pairing defenseman.

I remember when trade rumours surrounded him at the 2013 draft, he was quoted as saying he wouldn't want to leave Vancouver for any other team. He went on to say that you don't sign a 6-year extension with a club without the intent of staying there the entire length of the contract. Now he's in control of his own fate and so I'd doubt he'd waive.

1.) ROR's contract expires at the end of the year and his history has shown he's a greedy play looking for max dollars. Wouldn't be the best playerer to get financially looking at the team's lovely cap structure.

2.) Edler is our best dman. He's rejuvinated himself and is locked up to a nice contract throughout his prime. Without him, we stink plain and simple. He's been our go to guy in every phase of the game and our undisputed MVP on the blueline.

3.) Benning says if he can he'd like to add a top 6 scoring forward and although ROR has scoring ability it's nothing special and he'd essentially be another 2way player we get.

...Avs are in a position of weakness and have been shopping ROR for quite some time now. They overvalue him and seek a #1 dman in return which no team will do especially since he's a rental considering he's not signed past this year. The risk-reward is 100-0 with this rumour and I guarantee JB doesn't do a deal basing around Edler and ROR unless we get substantially more which again Colorado won't do b/c they value O'Reilly so highly. Our defense is already considerably weak so it makes no sense whatever way you look at it to trade Edler for ROR. Not happening.

Edit:

OP pretty much shoots this rumour down with Linden saying this:

"Alex is a foundational player for us. Hes a 25-minute, all-situation defenceman that every team is looking for. We haven't had any trade discussion involving Alex. He's going to be a cornerstone for our organization moving forward."

At the trade deadline we'd get a bucket load more than ROR his attitude and contract issues for Edler.

Think first top prospect late pick or serviceable D man and accept we are tanking this season.

ROR gives us nothing we truly need except another solid two way C/LW when we need solid LHD that can move the puck, RH PMD's and bonafide top 6 wingers.

ROR is none of that for us and a basic rental with a large re-signing number

Not worth it and still trying to piece this rumour together. Especially as we've so many other pieces to make that trade with.

Although i'd be very happy with Colorado's 1st this year +, Edler isn't leaving for that

Archived