The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Leafs looking to deal Kessel prior to draft

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/779786

As the Stanley Cup Final winds down, the Toronto Maple Leafs appear set to steal the headlines once again.

The club, still without an official general manager, spent the first part of the offseason securing Mike Babcock as head coach, while the roster remains largely intact, despite assurances of a teardown from president Brendan Shanahan.

That could change in a big way as the NHL draft approaches, beginning with a trade for Phil Kessel, Damien Cox writes in The Toronto Star:

Friedman recently reported that Kessel was a major topic of conversation at the NHL Scouting Combine, with several teams inquiring as to what it would take to make a deal.

The Maple Leafs, ostensibly looking to get younger with an eye to the future, will pick fourth overall at the draft. Kessel and Dion Phaneuf are obvious candidates to be dealt in order to clear cap space and acquire further assets to improve the overall makeup of the club.

Cox suggests the impetus to get something done prior to the draft could be the addition of more picks. Toronto also owns the 24th selection, acquired from Nashville, which it could utilize to move higher in the draft, according to Cox.

Kessel, 27, is the team's most prolific scorer, averaging 30 goals for every 82 games played since breaking into the NHL in 2006. He's also Toronto's highest-paid player, set to earn $8 million per season through the end of the 2019-20 campaign.

...and no, he's not coming to Vancouver. Can see Tallon and Florida being a realistic trade partner.

Chemistry kryptonite.

Building a young team in Florida, you don't want to poison the well with a player that refuses to buy into a system. Kessel only fits in with a talented, veteran team where he can be a supporting actor. The problem is that those teams (Chicago, Anaheim, MTL, St. Louis, TB, NYR) are all up against the cap, and would have to find players eating salary and not being effective to make the trade possible.

I will PUNCH the first person that suggests we trade for kessel!

Whatever you do Benning...

Stay away from Kessel. Thanks.

Let's trade for Kessel! And for the love of God, Sanguinetti and Subban NEED to be on the team next year. Baertschi's a bust, not even 2 PPG in the AHL. And why didn't we sign Panarin and all the other good free agents instead of scrubs like Sautner?!!?!111?!

/desiboy

If Vancouver or any other team is smart they will stay as far away from Kessel as possible. Maybe for the Coyote's 1st rounder?

Now, Toronto eats $2 million of Phaneuf's salary, and trade Bieksa for him? I'd ponder that.

No thanks to Phaneuf. He's as bad as Kessel for team chemistry. There is a reason Calgary gave him away and Toronto has been so terrible under his captaincy.

...and after draft, and before July 1st, and after July 1st, and before training camp, and during camp, and after training camp, and before the start of the season, and during the season, and before the trade deadline.

Haven't the Leafs been trying to trade Kessel for a while now? Total click bait trying to trap Maple Leaf fans,

Now that I can see. Leaf's draft Crouse and Strome?

Word is they desperately want Marner

If they can pick up the Staal or Staals from Carolina they won't need Strome.

I'd imagine they will need to eat a bunch of cap 30% or more at least or possibly trade Phaneuf in a seperate deal and take on Semin.

But I can see the Staal(s) in Toronto next season

He'll go to Carolina for Staal or Staals.

That or as part of a package with major salary retention for another top 10 pick or a solid defensive prospect

He will go to Florida for their 11th overall. Straight up with no retained salary.

I would be interested to see what his trade value is. He is a good offensive player, but someone you can't build a team around, and he is making 8 million per year. I would put it at a lesser player who is making 3-5 million, plus a 1st round pick.

Potential partners:

Buffalo - Bad fit. Not the kind of player they should have in their re-build. Potential player return: Moulson, Ennis, plus pick

Calgary - Mediocre fit. Calgary has the cap space, the supporting cast, and character/grit. That said I don't think he is a good fit. Potential return: not sure

Chicago - Mediocre fit. Why he would be a pretty good fit on the ice, his contract would hamper them. Potential return: Hjarlmarrson + Bickell/Versteeg

Colorado - decent fit. Colorado has a decent crop of players, Kessel wouldn't really need to "lead the team" with character guys like Landeskog and Duchene. O'Reilly for Kessler would make sense for both teams if O'Reilly doesn't want to stay long-term in Colorado. Colorado was pretty bad offensively last year too. I can kind of imagine O'Reilly being "the guy" in Toronto. Potential return: Ryan O'Reilly.

Detroit - potentially good fit. If Toronto is in a re-build mode, they could probably pry a good prospect/picks from Detroit if they take Weiss back. Potential return: Weiss + top picks/prospect

Florida - Decent fit. Again, Kessel isn't a player you build a team around but he would give the offense a good shot in the arm. Cap wise the Panthers are good, but they are a very low budget team and Kessel is expensive. Bolland would have to go the other way.

Nashville - Good fit. Nashville has the cap space, and don't have any expensive forwards. Competitive, and odd players like Riberio seem to do well there. Fairly low pressure environment too, yet a good fan base to play in front of. Potential return: I don't know what they would send back. Perhaps Nystrom/Stalberg, Wilson and a pick?

St. Louis - Decent fit. Stastny going the other way makes sense. Potential return: Paul Stastny + conditional pick.

Archived