The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

just frustrating man. Every year we're told change is coming. The last thing I want to see is us losing a these guys for nothing in the end.

I know the frustration, but we've overreacted too soon before. Until the 2nd round happens, there's no point in trashing Benning. I'm sure he'll be working the phones feverishly tomorrow.

For all we know we could be singing Bennings praises tomorrow. All we need is a couple solid D-men and this could be a good draft.

• Upvote 1

Boeser wasn't the "best" player available, in my opinion, but he is still a great pick. My gut reaction was admittedly a little disappointment since I had hoped we'd go for Kylington or a CHL kid but at 23 he is a solid selection.

Pure goal scorer. Led his team in scoring as a USHL rookie and had 20 more goals than the next highest goal scorer on the team. Checking the team stats, there are 2 other players (Novak, draft-eligible, and Sheehy) at around a PPG but there's a relatively big drop-off in production after that. Those two teammates also missed 14 and 17 games respectively.

He's committed to the Univ. of North Dakota next season and I have high hopes for him there. IIRC, Jordan Schmaltz (defenceman, 2012 first rounder to the Blues) will be there too. UoND wasn't a great team offensively this past year so he should get a lot of opportunity to become "the guy" for them.

Considering it could have been a LOT worse (Carlo, Bittner), I'd say that we did well with the 23rd pick. Not great, could have been better, but you'll get no real complaints about this pick from me.

Seems like Schmaltz has been signed by the Blues: https://twitter.com/StLouisBlues/status/604039835897044992

Edit: His brother, Nick Schmaltz (Chicago 2014 20th overall pick) is committed to North Dakota though.

Edited by Hedman

WTF. We needed a DMAN a stud inn Kylington and we draft what a RW wtf.

Kylington does not have the character we want. He is a wimp.

To the people saying he didn't look happy. He's just a chill dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-_7litgUbQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sh0GQNB_3z0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ4XtC01Cu8

Lol we don't need prospects who be doing that book learning stuff. They might learn Canucks are "retooling".

im so choked about this pick. we passed on Travis Konecny/ Nicholas Merkley/Jeremy Roy/ Oliver Kylington/

also choked that the canucks still haven't traded Bieksa and Lack.

Lets try to get some steals in the 2nd plz JB

Don't be sad, be glad. Boeser is a beauty.

Don't be choked, be stoked. Lack and Bieksa will be traded for second round picks during the second round. Then we will move for Nicolas Meloche and Vince Dunn, ideally.

He convinced everyone here Virtanen was better than Nylander so.

Virtanen is the player we need West coast. Not Nylander. Just better personality, size, shot and physicality.

I loved how the tv analysts were on and on about freakin' Harkins like it was a real shame to pass on that guy and pick Boeser instead.

wtf? Do these guys purposely misrepresent prospect potential? The answer is an astounding YES!

BAN SPORTSNET TOO!

• Upvote 1

We pass on team need, it's because the BPA was there.

We pass on BPA too, it's because character.

We see guy bust, we claim hindsight.

At this rate 'we' will become 'they' for a lot of people here in short order.

So we should have taken Kylington with our pick even though he'll be available in the 2nd?

No point in taking a D-man just for the sake of it. Benning clearly thinks he can get one in the 2nd, which has likely been his goal all along.

The best player available in 2009 and 2011 were Schroeder and Jensen by the way. Sometimes the "best" player available means nothing.

So we should have taken Kylington with our pick even though he'll be available in the 2nd?

No point in taking a D-man just for the sake of it. Benning clearly thinks he can get one in the 2nd, which has likely been his goal all along.

The best player available in 2009 and 2011 were Schroeder and Jensen by the way. Sometimes the "best" player available means nothing.

I can't believe people still think that Schroeder and Jensen were BPA.

Still?!?

This fanbase has almost no hope.

Same thing was said about Kesler.

Don't pretend to have a crystal ball.

Do you really think scouting is simply taking the best ranked player left? There's other things involved that armachair GMS can't understand unless you actually watch the guy play, learn about him, and talk to him.

This was a guy that the Canucks thought was the best fit for them. He's a character guy, pure goal scorer who wore the C for team USA at the Ivan Hlinka, and led the tournament in scoring. Just beause fans don't know much about him doesn't mean they have to trash him.

If alot of people on here had there way, we would have drafted Kylington, who for all we know will be available tomorrow mid second round where we could potentially pick if we trade BIeksa/Lack.

D-men still available tomorrow: Kylington, Roy, Dunn, Andersson, Pilon. Carlo, Meloche

If we get San Jose's 39th plus another 2nd, we can easily land one of these guys, if not two.

I remember when Burke called out Kesler's name at the '03 draft. I didn't know much about our future Selke winner at the time. The rest is history.

I can't believe people still think that Schroeder and Jensen were BPA.

Still?!?

This fanbase has almost no hope.

Based on the rankings they were. ;)

If by "best" you mean your own definition of best which you base on watching youtube clips, then no they weren't. But rankings wise, yes they were.