The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Ballard is awesome. He was solid when he was here. I hope he gave Brock some pointers on how to deliver a solid hip check.

Mass wise he was solid but as a canuck god no lol.  I thought he struggled mightily here, especially in the SCF.  He seems like a cool dude though. 

18 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Mass wise he was solid but as a canuck god no lol.  I thought he struggled mightily here, especially in the SCF.  He seems like a cool dude though. 

He was solid. I didn't say he was the best defenseman. Literally every other defenseman was better than him, but he was solid. His hipchecks were rarely ineffective. Note that he never tried (as far as I remember) to hipcheck a player 30 lbs. heavier than him

So right now his extension AAV starts with a 6. So the question is, do you sign him now? If so longterm or bridge? or wait till next year and pay up?

Right now we could buy a few UFA years, but it would be a higher number than 6 if you are going 8 yr term. Next year we could be looking at a number starting with 7. Or do you go for a bridge deal, say 2 years at 6, then structure a long term contract after. In that scenario your probably paying more than 7-7.5 but your also buying more UFA years.

Edited by Smashian Kassian

12 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

So right now his extension AAV starts with a 6. So the question is, do you sign him now? If so longterm or bridge? or wait till next year and pay up?

Right now we could buy a few UFA years, but it would be a higher number than 6 if you are going 8 yr term. Next year we could be looking at a number starting with 7. Or do you go for a bridge deal, say 2 years at 6, then structure a long term contract after. In that scenario your probably paying more than 7-7.5 but your also buying more UFA years.

I hope that Brock is signed for at least 6 years, hopefully 8.  I think getting your young guys locked in long term right after the ELC is the best way to build.  That way you have certainty of what you are paying your core stars, and you can build out the rest of the roster form there.  If Boeser picks up where he left off, and can put up 40 goals as a sophmore, I wouldn't bat an eye at 8x8.

• Upvote 2

After week one of the DBL, BB is leading the league in both scoring AND face-off win percentage.   Yup, even though it is based upon on face-off, it can be projected to a full regular NHL season and he will shatter Malhotra's single-season percentage record.   He will play both center and right wing on a line - great help on the CAP hit.

2 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

After week one of the DBL, BB is leading the league in both scoring AND face-off win percentage.   Yup, even though it is based upon on face-off, it can be projected to a full regular NHL season and he will shatter Malhotra's single-season percentage record.   He will play both center and right wing on a line - great help on the CAP hit.

That reminds me, all the talk about Pettersson and whether or not he plays center and if he does we'll have to remember this guy could be playing on his line. Even though Boeser is not a center, he's a very capable face-off guy and he could help take pressure off on draws at times. Of course, Boeser could continue to stick with Horvat, but it'll sure be interesting to watch and find out.

• Cheers 1

On 7/12/2018 at 11:28 AM, Tre Mac said:

Ballard missed 13 games over his first five years in the NHL before coming to Vancouver, and looked like a legit top four NHL d-man (though he played the final part of his last season with Florida with a damaged hip that needed to be surgically repaired the summer the Canucks acquired him).

I wish we had a chance to see a healthy Keith Ballard in Vancouver.  I think a lot of us would have a different opinion of him as a hockey player.  Ballard missed 98 regular games due to injury (and a few as a healthy scratch)...not much of a chance to show his wares.

Vancouver Canucks = place where healthy/durable players become fragile the minute they get off the plane at YVR (e.g., Dan Hamhuis).

In case it isn't obvious, I was always a big Ballard fan.  Pity that we couldn't see him at his best.  I saw him play some of his best hockey vs. the Canucks as a Coyote and was super happy the Canucks got him from FLA in 2010.  At the time, I thought he and Bieksa were going to form one of the best tandems in the NHL...oh how wrong I was.

Forgot this was the Boeser thread...love him.  Rooting for him to get 40 to 45 goals this season and dominate.  Wish I had his hair.

Edited by bigbadcanucks

On 6/29/2018 at 10:13 AM, Tre Mac said:

I was bored so I watched all his goals from last year.  Aside from the 'he's gonna go for a skate' goal all of them were on his stick for less than 2s, and most were quick snipes.  Him and EP40 are going to go together like bacon and cheddar.... Or peanut butter and chocolate, your choice.

I just watched that a few days ago as well. Lots of goals were set up by a Sedin or Vanek. I was hoping we'd sign Vanek again...

On 7/11/2018 at 7:50 PM, Rob_Zepp said:

Nice hat trick.   Was curious, if Brock Boeser gets a hat trick and Matt Murray is not there to see it, is it still lucky?

actually

it's like these boards

if vintage canuck did not post it

it did not happen

if brock pots 3 goals

and mm is not in that net

it's not a hat trick

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

Do you feel Boeser's skating is his biggest weakness right now?

There's definitely room for improvement (as there is with alot of players) but I don't see it as a big weakness. He doesn't seem to have a problem getting where he needs to be.

However his top end speed could be improved so that he can get a step on the defender and make it less likely that his shots get deflected. That will give him even more scoring chances.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, DeNiro said:

There's definitely room for improvement (as there is with alot of players) but I don't see it as a big weakness. He doesn't seem to have a problem getting where he needs to be.

However his top end speed could be improved so that he can get a step on the defender and make it less likely that his shots get deflected. That will give him even more scoring chances.

Is this the Sergachev is a bust video? ;) on a more serious note, I wonder if Bo’s summer skating coach could help some of the other Canuck skaters

• Upvote 1

On 7/14/2018 at 10:22 AM, BCNate said:

I hope that Brock is signed for at least 6 years, hopefully 8.  I think getting your young guys locked in long term right after the ELC is the best way to build.  That way you have certainty of what you are paying your core stars, and you can build out the rest of the roster form there.  If Boeser picks up where he left off, and can put up 40 goals as a sophmore, I wouldn't bat an eye at 8x8.

I would say that once our young guns get out of their ELC's and into their big contracts out of them, the Canucks will be a contending team.

Lock down Boeser, Pettersson, and Demko and we'll be golden for years. Obviously that's pending Pettersson and Demko make it big in the NHL.