The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Laurence Gilman, Lorne Henning, Eric Crawford FIRED

Scorpyqc

Suggestions that Benning is calling the shots is stretching things. Trevor Linden is the President and

he hired Benning. Their view of where the Canucks have to go is obviously in agreement.

Management was top heavy and Linden thinned it down. Both Linden and Benning are very active in most aspects of the business. Narrowing the decision process and saving some money makes sense. Linden has

acted very cautiously by maintaining the structure until a year has passed. I am sure he and Benning

have both learned a lot during that year. They appear to have the confidence to move forward.

Having watched Linden since he was drafted there is no doubt in my mind that this is TREVOR LINDEN'S team. I have no doubt that he eats and breathes the Canucks. If Linden makes mistakes they will be

honest ones. I remain confident.

Was or wasn't LG part of the management group that handed out NTC/NMC contracts to the entire 2010 team?

Yeah,thought so.

At a certain time, you clean the slate and move on.

Old regime had its day,they didn't get it done.

Agreed. The timing is not suspect at all. It's probably the best time to let them go, other than immediately after Benning started.

I don't think there's any discord or drama, and this was probably planned for some time. They helped with the transition, and now they're gone.

Exactly......absolutely nothing to see here

Good move. I think Gilman was vastly over-rated, thanks to those idiots at 1040. Why is it that he gets all the credit for those good contracts, like the 2nd Burrows one, but never takes the heat for all those NTC's? He was the point man on all those contracts, people! He did help Gillis make adjustment to the job of being a GM, mind you. And, oh yeah, look at the job he did!

Lorne Henning had just been in the job too long. That simple. Crawford was Gillis' man He was the final arbiter on all the player assessment for trades, as well as amateur (drafting). He definitely needed to go, with more of those assessments being made by Benning & Co.

Overall, it looks like Linden handled this well. Gave everyone a year to figure it out, rather than prematurely acting last year.

Two words: John Weisbrod. He was one of Benning's first hires and supposedly has all the skills that Laurence Gilman has. He will slide into Gilman's job; he probably has been doing much of it anyway. People don't lose jobs because they can't do the work, they get fired because somebody above them in the foodchain either doesn't like them or likes someone else better. The timing of this move is not the best; most of the jobs that may have been open are mostly filled.

I am hopeful for Gilman getting another AGM position. I think he would be able to handle a full GM position and maybe he will within the next year or two. All I know is that the Canucks did not appear to run afoul of the cap during Gilman's tenure. It was Gillis who handed out the NTC's, but it was Gilman who had to make them work.

Like most people, I have no idea what Lorne Henning actually did, but Stan Smyl probably takes that position, if they decide to fill it. I also know nothing about Eric Crawford, but he must have had a difference of opinion with Management and out he goes. BEsides, Benning is pretty much the head of scouting.

According to Linden on TSN1040, Lorne Henning oversaw the Comets.

Dumb move. Gilman was great for us, especially when our team was on top.

2016 will be a crucial year for Benning and Linden. If their plan works, great if not they need to be fired.

2016 will be a crucial year for Benning and Linden. If their plan works, great if not they need to be fired.

Yeah, 'cause nobody else in the world can crunch #s.

They cannot be judged on one season, or even 2.

The mess they inherited will take a minimum of 3-5 years to even get in the right direction considering that ownership gave them a mandate of making the playoffs every year whilst at the same time building a contender.

Archived